Post-peugeot life

ohms

so - recap - i sold the 505 because my dad gave me his 99 altima for free. thought it would make a nice daily driver. then it broke down on me about a week into ownership - oil pump exploded inside the motor, took out the timing chain and gears....quite a mess. sold to my mechanic, and bought my friend's 86 VW cabriolet (i talked him into buying it as his daily about 3 years ago haha - then his new/current gf expressed her dismay with it, and he had to park it up for about year (he didnt quite want to let it go i guess). got it for $400! pretty much all there, i bought it wednesday, then took a 2.5 hour trip upstate, performed like a champ.

post-714-0-76331500-1350315361_thumb.jpg

Ahh, back when VWs were still refreshingly simple;

You call that simple? My first car was a 1970 Beatle. I could change the engine by the side of the road with a hand full of tools. It eventually rotted into a pile of dust but if it wasn't for the body rust, I'm sure it would still be going today.

i feel like if i had to, i could swap the rabbits motor at the side of the road. its no aircooled flat4, but man its still tiny (and pretty simple, even with the CIS)

Nice car Ohms - but you'll likely have to deal with more "chick car" comments than even Miata owners... :D I'd own one in a second though - I quite like them.

I used to have a coupe older VW's - a nice 82' VW Jetta 4 dr was a great little car. Did a bunch of work to an 84' Scirocco as well. Highly recommend the dual outlet manifold and downpipe and an upgraded exhaust. Those little 8V motors sound great with a good exhaust system and have decent power and economy.

Rabin

andre - plan right now is just regular tuneup/upkeep - its a nice daily driver as is. after i get a bit further with the camaro, i do have some fun plans for the lil rabbit (but nothing that would take it off the road longer than a day or 2)

bean - agreed, total chick car. it was my friend's car for a while, and i razzed my friend about that even though i also talked him into buying it hehe. BUT - that lil car has scored me 2 dates (im single these days) and gets more female attention than any car i ever owned (my lil bmw 2002 coming in second in that dept). The camaro has pretty much always just landed me more carguy friends haha. or jersey girls.

i know it has some kinda aftermarket downpipe/exhaust header, but otherwise i think its stock. i was tempted to swap out the CIS for some carbs (i have mikunis, webers, and im not even sure what other carbs sitting around) until i read up more on the CIS - would like to do some basic hopping up to the motor, as long as i dont kill its fuel economy and reliability. oh, and it has konis and H+R springs! at least in the rear. dunno what the front setup has

Sounds some like decent mods already, so it should be a fun driver for sure. CIS is really pretty good if you can put the effort into getting the tools and knowledge to really keep them in good tune. A bit of a black art, but lots of info online to sort it out.

If you do mods, those little 8V motors are really fantastic with a good cam and high compression. Good to hear it's a decent chick magnet too... :)

Rabin