New phones

N9TE

So I finally broke down and went out and got a new cell phone. My contact was up in Jul and I was holding out for a good slider phone, but that wasn't to be. Sliders just arent being developed that much so I pulled the trigger on a Samsung Galaxy S 3. Nice and fast but getting used to swipe is a pita. Almost got a iPhone.

Strangely the line of the most important features was 3rd party support.I bought the original smartphone, the G1 and had no support. Same with the G2.never had a cradle. Using out in the car was always unfun. This should bye different.

What are you guys doing in today's phone space?

right now, i have an iPhone 3GS...it's my second iPhone, my first was a 3G. sometime around december or january, i plan to get an iPhone 5.

i put an aftermarket clarion stereo in my daily driver jetta, and the bluetooth feature has been great. i really miss it when i'm in other cars! in addition to being able to take calls on the stereo, the clarion i got also supports bluetooth streaming of music, etc. i actually use that a lot in the car, since the direct USB connection is a PITA; it takes over the iPhone -- the screen goes white, so you have to navigate through your music using the stereo controls which are confusing and very non-intuitive.

i'm on the fence as to whether to put a cradle in my peugeot or not...if my phone's battery is running low, i plug it into a USB cigarette lighter adapter. i usually don't fiddle with my phone too much while i'm driving, so having it easily accessible in a cradle is not so important. still, i get the "while i'm at it" feeling every now and then... :)

andré

I have an iPhone 4. I bought it last year, probably around the same time as now.

Prior, I had a pretty poorly-designed/assembled LG "Vu" which was basically a faux-iphone by appearance, with a crappy touch screen.

I have an Otterbox over my iPhone. Last year, I accidentally dropped it between the cracks of the stairs of my old dorm res hall, and it fell 4 stories.

Not a single scratch on the phone itself.

I hate to admit it, but I think I've become pretty reliant on the iphone as a source to cure my random moments of boredom. It's hard to resist flipping on one of those damn social-media apps or browsing the web on safari. I also hate the fact that I've been paying so much more since last year for my data plan. <_<

-S

Buddy at work is buying his friend's iPhone 4s, so I'm buying his iPhone 4 - should have it next week. I work in IT, so all the guys are hardcore tech geeks - so I wait on the sidelines to see where the guys tend to go product wise. At first it was all about Androids - but the iPhone is pretty much the phone of choice now.

$100 and it's unlocked - couldn't pass it up. I'll put the sim card in for my pay as you go account, and turn off data. I'll just use wi-fi for any internet access as data up here is INSANELY pricey. Most guys at work pay $70+.month where I'm used to more like $10... :)

Part of the reason on getting it was to develop some of the mobile features of this site - hope to make it easier to navigate for others. My 505 also has an iPod connector that should work with the iPhone. Not as snazzy as bluetooth - but it'll be fine on trips and stuff.

Rabin

I'll put the sim card in for my pay as you go account, and turn off data. I'll just use wi-fi for any internet access as data up here is INSANELY pricey.

that's not a bad way to go. one advantage of using wi-fi is that it's easier on the battery than a 3g data connection. if you ever find that you need a data connection, you could get one of those mobile 3g hotspots...then you could use one connection for your phone and a laptop. you can tether your laptop with an iPhone, but it's expensive with at&t (less so with verizon, as i understand)...not sure how the canadian carriers (rogers?) handle tethering...

wrt tweaking the site's mobile features -- i use my iPhone all the time to access the site (with the IP Board app), it looks fine and is very easy to navigate already...

andré

wrt tweaking the site's mobile features -- i use my iPhone all the time to access the site (with the IP Board app), it looks fine and is very easy to navigate already...

andré

Thanks Andre! I thought I should make sure the site was good since there are a few guys that seem to post a lot on the FB page via phone but not here (looks at Marc Maksimo)... :) I thought I should make sure it wasn't site related at least.

I like the FB site for the communication strengths - but it's absoutely terrible for being an archive of useful info.

Rabin

Rabin