JunktionFET

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This past week was a big Volvo week for repairs and upgrades.

Monday I made a trip to the States to pick up parts.

2000 V70R got new OEM rebuilt steering rack (warranty -big job to remove), turned powerslot rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads, BBS wheels straitened and new 215-50-17 Michelin AS3 tires installed (warranty on the BFG Sport Comp's so upgraded to the AS3's). Still have to replace the AC compressor and dryer and get it recharged, then I can finish up the turbo rebuild with billet 19T wheel and the newer R manifold w/ custom downpipe and new front O2 sensor. Have to get it done before the snow flies as its my winter DD. :)

2006 V70R got it's wheels straightened, and new 235-45-17 Michelin AS3's as well. Turned front rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads, and I flushed brake fluid. Previously I had relocated the electronic suspension accelerometers from the struts to the body and with the new tires it has transformed the cars ride quality. I also picked up some parts so that I can do a lighting mod, and once the '00 is done I can work on swapping out the valve body in the transmission.

Sadly no love for the Peugeot's lately.

Both my wife's mother and my mother aren't doing well so I've not had a lot of time for my cars, the garage, or the site. DD's get first priority, and with all the trips home we've been doing they need to be in tip top shape before I can spend time on my fun cars.

Rabin

So far the AS3's are really quite good. Initial impressions are excellent as the tires are very comfortable, quiet, and are excellent in the wet.

I haven't pushed the performance envelope at all, but turn in and the odd quick onramp is showing promise as they feel great.

These are the first "premium" brand tires Ive ever bought, previously opting to go with good used sets found locally, or good bang for the buck tires like Kumho ASX's.

The high ratings and the 500 treadwear sold me on these, and so far I'm very happy with the choice.

Rabin

I'm a massive Michelin fan and have always had good luck with them. On my first ever bike trackday I ran Pilot Power 2CTs on my RC51. It was a hot July 4th at VIR, and they did get quite greasy and let go with little or no warning. But then again, they weren't a "track tire" as such, so I can't really blame them. After that I switched to Michelin Pilot Race (med/soft compound), and never ever had a moment's trouble from them. I tried Pirellis once, and while they performed well, my confidence just wasn't there.

On the cars I did stray a bit from Michelin and started using Falkens. Their tires are actually pretty dang good--inexpensive, good wearing, quiet, reasonably grippy. However, you do get what you pay for, and it always seems like the Michelin performance tires are just that step above.

I posted on FB briefly but figured I'd elaborate here. On Saturday I drove up to Richmond to visit Steffen Moller. He had a good spindle/strut for use on Jonathan's '86 STI, and I also picked up a driver side mirror for my Turbodiesel to replace the one that the shippers apparently broke. It was a fun trip and was great seeing Steffen for the first time in about 10 years.

While I was there we got on the subject of 604s. As you all may recall, I visited George in Charlotte several weeks ago, and he offered me his 604 5 speed (the one that I swapped an XD3T when I worked for him). Turns out that car was originally Steffen's! He sold it to the gentleman that owned it when I did the engine swap. So anyway, I just think it's cool how a whole chapter of this car's history has been uncovered.

Freakish coincidences--today George called me and asked if I still had any interest in the 604... O_O Is this a sign from the universe that I should just buy the damn thing?

• 2 weeks later...

When I work at the dealership we had the same machine,the best one I've ever seen. I believe it was made by Jimmy Bean...

that's good to know!

today i had a couple of hours at lunchtime and i was on the westside (of LA), so i went to UCLA where they were having an electric car event; basically, they had a bunch of electric cars there and one could take them on a test drive. i didn't have a lot of time so i only got to drive two cars: the nissan leaf and the vw e-golf. they were both pretty nice, peppier than i expected. of the two, the vw felt better to drive. it was crazy hot today in LA so i asked both sales guys if running the a/c on a day like today killed the range; the nissan guy said, hardly at all, only about 10-15%....the vw guy said yeah, as much as 10-15%. make of that what you will. :)

andré

I had the AC compressor and dryer replaced on the 00' V70R. Needs a wheel alignment and then I trade my wife for the 06' and tackle the valve body replacement on it...

Winter is coming so I'm also pricing out Nokian Hakka 8's. Pricey tires.. :o

Rabin

This doesn't really qualify for the build thread I started, but today I spent some time working on the cosmetics of the '86 STI. 303 Aerospace Protectant for the dash and plastic bits inside, Leather New for the shift boot, giving the seats a bit of a wash with mild soap/water and vacuuming dry, and the usual vacuuming etc. to make an inviting interior even nicer to spend time in. Limited time today but I'm budgeting some time tomorrow to finish cleaning and fix a few things.

post-648-0-20194700-1411519236_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Today I moved the 505 out of it's storage shelter and brought the Subaru in to do it's back brakes and an oil change in preparation for driving to NH tomorrow to visit my Mother.
http://www.tulaweb.net/images/Car/12262014252.jpg
My wife got me a new stereo for the Subaru for Christmas. She really doesn't like the Peugeot except she likes that I have XM satellite radio in it, so she wants that in the Subaru as well. If I had gotten the brakes and oil done in time I was going to put that in but that didn't happen.

12262014252a.jpg

Well it probably doesn't help much with the temperature but it's out of the wind, rain and snow, and it gives me a place to keep my compressor and tools. It also gives me a place where I can have some projects in progress. At home I can't leave the car up on jack-stands in the parking lot. In this case I could have done the Subaru's brakes and oil in the parking lot but it's easier with the compressor and impact wrench and if I needed to run out for a part while the Subaru was apart, I had the Peugeot there.

So I'm up in New Hampshire now visiting my mother who was the original owner of my Peugeots (and the Subaru). The Subaru made the trip with no problem, but it sure did need those back brakes. It's funny, the wear indicators are on the inner pads on each wheel. in this case both outer pads were worn down to nothing and both inner pads had half their life left, so by the time I got any indication they were worn, 2 of the 4 rear pads were metal on metal.