What did you do today?

JunktionFET

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so rabin, you'll be able to use the standard shimano hollowtech 2 bottom bracket (and not something more expensive like phil wood). the BB that shimano makes for its 105 group is the bb-5700, goes for about US$25 and comes in 68 and 70mm sizes (pretty sure you'll need a 68). you'll also need to get one of these:

PhotoJun1660831PM_zps4fee2698.jpg

this is the wrench for the shimano hollowtech 2 BBs; mine is by spin doctors but park, var and shimano all make nice ones. i think i paid about $17 for this one. interestingly, the adjusting cone on the headset i just installed uses this same wrench, a clever bit of design....

andré

Seller already has it boxed up, and will relist in a few days with a buy it now that I will snap up.

Things Ive learned so far:

Front drop out is 100mm, rear is 125mm. I will be going with the Hollowtech2 BB, but I'm hoping to find some nice nearly new/take off Ultegra parts for the shift/brake/pedal sets, and hoping to get into some decent wheels with aero spokes and decent hubs.

Alloy frame and fork will get the rest of the anodizing off with oven cleaner most likely, and then sanded and polished to a shine. New decals if possible, or something close just to have thw Peugeot name on it - then I'll use some 3M paint protection film to help protect the frame from abrasions.

Damn you Joe.

Tonight I'm going to make up a dedicated bike section, and I'd like to post separate threads for your guys projects if you don't mind. If that sounds good just post here what you'd like to call it.

Joking aside - I needed something to get my butt into gear to start riding again and this will be good incentive in addition to being a lot of fun.

Thanks Joe! And thanks to Andre too!

Rabin

Tonight I'm going to make up a dedicated bike section, and I'd like to post separate threads for your guys projects if you don't mind. If that sounds good just post here what you'd like to call it.

an excellent idea! one vote for "vélos peugeot." then the new peugeot enthusiasts will click on it to find out what that means. :)

once the bike section is created, i can start on my sweet peppermill build thread. :D

andré

Damn you Joe.

Ha Haaaa! Mission Accomplished! :D

And I think a bike forum is an excellent idea since many of us are starting to collect the "other" kind of Peugeots lately. I never thought I'd become so interested in bicycling. Perhaps my running "issues" from the winter are indeed a blessing in disguise.

And in all seriousness, lately I've actually browsed some Peugeot pepper mills. I figure... why stop at cars and bikes?

And speaking of bikes, every time I see one of those little Peugeot scooters for sale (the old 101/102/103 variety), I sort of start to feel impulsive again.

Today USPS was busy at my place... I got the following goodies:

Trunk mount cargo hooks for the TSX. Now I can drive home from the grocery story and not worry about rebagging everything once I get home :P
post-47-0-86205000-1403131513_thumb.jpg

More car parts!

post-47-0-00490400-1403131550_thumb.jpg

Valve cover gaskets for XDx engines

post-47-0-47939600-1403131579_thumb.jpg

Extra oil filters for the Turbodiesel

post-47-0-60839000-1403131643_thumb.jpg

Water pump and timing belt for Jonathan's Mi16

post-47-0-20456300-1403131611_thumb.jpg

Curious how tall those oil filters are? I got a bunch of Purflux oil filters for my XD3T and they're tiny like the 505 Turbo gas ones...

I was expecting it to be longer, but apparently the short ones are correct.

Rabin

I've gotten some filters that are taller than others but that are supposedly correct. Those WIX filters are shorter than some others I've used. Those are what I usually use. I haven't used the Purflux filters in a while (since my local Peugeot dealer closed) but I think to the best of my recollection the WIX filters are about the same size.

I'll measure one when I get home, but all Turbodiesels are supposed to use the taller filter (though the shorter one you find on the N9T, XN6, XD2 have the same threads/gasket dimensions). I was told that the larger filter is both for increasing oil capacity (obviously) and for providing a bit of "after-oiling" for the turbocharger when the engine is turned off--a small amount of oil drains out of the filter and finds its way through the turbocharger's oil line, through the cartridge, and back into the pan.

When I first saw the location, orientation, and size of the filter, my immediate thought was that this car would be an ideal candidate for a remote filter system.

Baby steps though - I first need to get the car up and running. Rust repair is daunting however - I'd much rather find a minty wagon body and interior and swap in a refreshed TD parts into it from this car. Distance kills viability on any options so far - so lots of work lay ahead. (No response from seller in Seattle with the two 91 SW8'S)

Rabin

I have a complete running and driving 86' TD wagon that needs LOT of interior and exterior work. All doable - but a swap into a car with good cosmetics and interior would be faster and cheaper.

Rabin

I'll measure one when I get home, but all Turbodiesels are supposed to use the taller filter (though the shorter one you find on the N9T, XN6, XD2 have the same threads/gasket dimensions). I was told that the larger filter is both for increasing oil capacity (obviously) and for providing a bit of "after-oiling" for the turbocharger when the engine is turned off--a small amount of oil drains out of the filter and finds its way through the turbocharger's oil line, through the cartridge, and back into the pan.

But I think some brands are taller still. I think I've had a Mann Filter and a Beck/Arnley that were taller than the PURFLUX or the WIX

In NC, you can get a license plate immediately for a car, but the title takes a couple weeks to arrive via mail. Today was the big day for me. Crisp title for a Peugeot 505 is in my possession :)

Last night I took a free "Basic Bicycle Maintenance" class offered through a chain store called Performance Bicycle. It turned out to be pretty informative. The technician went over basic stuff I already knew, but then covered a lot of useful stuff on setting up derailleurs, chains, and new cables; These are all bits of information I need for the Galaxie build.

I spent the morning touring the 3 bike shops looking for options on a bike build. Nothing really for group sets and the like - basic advice was to buy a new bike and part it out, or buy a complete good used bike. Just like cars - you usually get more for your bike parting it out rather than selling whole. I'll start looking locally / in Canada for good deals on complete road bikes. There's a Galaxie on ebay already built with modern bits and a carbon fork for $400 which seems like a decent deal after today...

Seat was bad on my road bike, so I bought a new Specialized Romin seat, new bike shorts, and an icebreaker running shirt to use as a Jersey. Was very close to buying some tri arm rests, but I'll get some seat time in first before getting too crazy!

Rained all day and is still raining - I'll post pics after I install and get the bike cleaned up.

Rabin

In NC, you can get a license plate immediately for a car, but the title takes a couple weeks to arrive via mail. Today was the big day for me. Crisp title for a Peugeot 505 is in my possession :)

Last night I took a free "Basic Bicycle Maintenance" class offered through a chain store called Performance Bicycle. It turned out to be pretty informative. The technician went over basic stuff I already knew, but then covered a lot of useful stuff on setting up derailleurs, chains, and new cables; These are all bits of information I need for the Galaxie build.

congrats on the title!

i got an email about the performance bike workshop, i would have liked to attended the one at my local store but i was exhausted from an unusually long work day so i couldn't make it. they also have a ride every saturday morning but i can't go tomorrow because we have a family thing in irvine. the good news is, i'm going to stop in at cars & coffee in nearby anaheim before that. will take some pictures. :)

rabin, when you start getting some good riding in and your backside is sore, just remember it's all joe's fault and not mine. :D

andré

:) I'm a bad influence. Actually I blame my manager at work. He's an avid cyclist and I suppose is the one that got me to try biking since I had to stop running.

I have a phantom squeak somewhere on the Canyon Express which I thought was coming from the BB. At the workshop last night I learned that it is more than likely one of two things--the weird retaining nuts/cups on either side of the BB need to be retorqued, or the crank arms need to be retorqued. I need to either leave it with them, or just buy the special tool so I can do it myself.

Today USPS was busy at my place... I got the following goodies:

Trunk mount cargo hooks for the TSX. Now I can drive home from the grocery story and not worry about rebagging everything once I get home :P

attachicon.gif2014-06-18 11.20.23-1.jpg

More car parts!

attachicon.gif2014-06-18 18.02.52-1.jpg

Valve cover gaskets for XDx engines

attachicon.gif2014-06-18 18.04.43.jpg

Extra oil filters for the Turbodiesel

attachicon.gif2014-06-18 18.06.34.jpg

Water pump and timing belt for Jonathan's Mi16

attachicon.gif2014-06-18 18.06.12.jpg

How long did it take to bet Tbelt and WP?

Raleigh is blessed with an extensive publicly funded greenway system, a combination of rail and utility ROWs. Today I went for my usual 20ish mile ride, and decided to try a new one. We've had some serious evening thunderstorms lately including last night. It apparently took its toll on this tree (and my pace!)

post-47-0-05350100-1403489603_thumb.jpg

Got up to Cayley yesterday and managed to get a few things done. Unfortunately the slough near where my cars are parked has flooded again this year, so the area is pretty wet. Luckily all the Peugeots are on high ground, but I did have to move some things out of the water and pile them elsewhere (several sets of rims with tires were floating around for example). No harm done except perhaps to the old Ford van in which I've been storing many of my parts, but that vehicle has been waterlogged before and was toast a long time ago. The water has not reached the floor level so my parts are safe, thankfully.

After floundering around in the water for awhile I pulled the battery out of the STI I'm driving and used it to run four cars - the Renault 18i, the 85 S and the 86 Turbo I got from Emile Rocher, and the 85 Turbo I plan to drive next year. I ran the two turbos one after the other, and what a contrast! The 86 is smooth and quiet - the valves sound as though they are perfectly adjusted, and it doesn't smoke at all. The 85, by contrast, is loud. The valves are definitely long overdue for an adjustment, and hopefully that will remedy the noise from the upper end - I don't hear anything alarming but it's very loud compared to the 86. It probably sounded worse to me because I'd just heard how quiet it should be... In addition, this engine does smoke a bit under certain conditions, but before I look at it I can't be certain why. I think it might just be running quite rich as the smoke doesn't look blue and there's no oily residue at the tailpipe - just black soot. Some troubleshooting is definitely in order. The other thing that bothers me is that the warning lights indicating low oil pressure are lit continuously when running. Before anyone gets excited, it's definitely an indication problem as the engine is full of oil, and while running the oil level in the sump drops noticeably on the dipstick, showing that oil is being pumped SOMEWHERE. I am pretty confident that there is no actual issue as the engine would never have survived the 75 km drive home with no oil pressure, and the indication problem was present when I drove it home. I had the assurance of the seller that the engine was in fact oiling properly, but I hate any sort of instrument indication problem, especially when a critical system is involved. I'm adding a few extra gauges to this car, and oil pressure and temp will be among them. In the meantime, I hope that changing the sender will solve the problem.

On the way back I picked up this vintage women's Peugeot bicycle from Lethbridge. It will eventually get a thorough going-over and be returned to roadgoing status. I'm not sure at this point who will wind up with it, but it's too nice NOT to fix up. In this day of "comfort bikes" and "cruisers" it might even be acceptable these days for a man to ride one of these things, in which case I'll happily ride it myself. It would make a very nice general-purpose mount around town as an alternative to my vintage Sekine road bike. Food for thought.

post-648-0-03531200-1403549590_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-84736900-1403549627_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-72890600-1403549662_thumb.jpg

Had I done ten minutes' worth of research on that bike I could have sounded a bit more educated. Turns out that style is called a "Mixte" frame and is considered a unisex bike in the first place. A lot of guys seem to want to buy them for their wives and/or girlfriends, which suggests to me that a lot of males like the look of them but don't want to have to explain to everyone why they are riding a "women's bike." I frankly couldn't care less what people think - this thing looks like it'll be a stellar general-purpose bike and I'll probably wind up keeping it for myself. One nice thing about this variety of Peugeot - they take up a lot less space than the four-wheeled kind!