What did you do today?

JunktionFET

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also - took the bus from San Diego up Folsom (Sacramento) yesterday. Here with my crew team for the national championships.

I threw out my back (again) so I'm here as a spare... aka chillin' like a villain. B) It's gonna hit 100 in the latter part of the week too..yikes.

André, which beach do you frequent? I've been surfing a lot more recently since it's been consistently warm. Here's a funny shot a friend took last week.

Try to get which ones of us are the rowers and which one is our coxswain (the guys who sits in front of the boat and yells) :lol:

8859322311_b6296a72dc_c.jpg

venice or santa monica, mostly because they are close to where i am. parking is difficult and/or expensive there, though. in a year or two they will have the metro that runs to 4th & colorado, which will make it much easier to get there without having to hassle with parking the car.

it seems like most people surf a bit north (zuma/malibu) or south (huntington) of here, though. i don't know if that's because the surfing is better there (north or south of the LA/LB ports) or if it's just less crowded during surfing hours. i used to work with a guy who surfed venice every morning, he told me that he surfed there only because he wouldn't have been able to get to work on time if he surfed somewhere else. he was still late all of the time, though.... :)

andré

André's rollin on dub$!

just saw this! i think the chrome dubs are ridiculous, i got the truck in spite of them. they are going as soon as the tires get a bit more worn down...already got some OE alloy wheels ready to go:

IMG_8077_zps423fb4d8.jpg

i'm 48 years old with a wife and two kids. i don't need a penis car... <_<

andré

LOL. Yeah, smart move with those OEM units.

Surf City is always nice, I haven't been there too much - but when I'm crashing at one of my LA relatives' places I try to make the drive out.

I mostly hit the variety of beaches in North County San Diego, PB, and what we've got in La Jolla (I live walking distance from Blacks/Scripps).

If we do a coastal drive this summer as part of the meet, I'll be bringing the board atop the Peugeot :D

Sina

overlooking Scripps and La Jolla Shores

8830442390_0fc1da3dba_b.jpg

Today I went to Harbor Freight to get a small utility trailer. I first wanted to see how many boxes, of what size it came in, in order to judge whether I could get it in and/or on my 505 sedan, or if I would need to come back with a different vehicle (it comes unassembled). After eyeballing the boxes, I went out to eyeball the back seat, and realized that I didn't have my keys. Looking through the window, I saw them on the front seat. I looked and didn't find my automobile club card to call for lockout service, so I called my wife to get the phone and membership numbers. She was away from her desk, so I took everything out of my wallet again and found the card. I called, and they said they would have someone to me in about half an hour. While I was waiting, I got to thinking (that’s me, act first think later). I remember Brian Holm talking about his daughter getting locked out of her 505 and him spending a long time trying to open it for her. He finally succeeded when he realized that her trunk was unlocked and he put power to the fuel door lock wires and that unlocked the right side doors. Shortly after I got Joe's car for use as an engine donor, which was what I was still driving today, I discovered that the trunk keys for both cars worked interchangeably, and although my trunk was locked, I had the trunk key for the other car on my other key ring. I opened the trunk, fashioned a little jumper wire with a paper clip on the end, and used my emergency jump starter to put power to the fuel door wire. It worked! I’m sure I never would have thought of that on my own.

And I did get the boxes containing the utility trailer in the car, so next week when I swap engines I have a way to transport the dead engine.

I went to Cars and Coffee this morning and had a great time. It inspired me to give all the vehicles in the garage a much-needed wash and wax, followed by a family portrait. Not pictured is my 2001 RC51 which is partially disassembled in the garage; it's my track bike and is being converted back into a street legal bike. Also missing from the photo is a FREAKIN PEUGEOT. How sad! I really need to do something about that, like for real for real.

Left to right: 2006 VFR VTEC, 2003 CBR 954, 1990 Prelude Si, 2013 TSX SE

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/junktionfet/media/bath_time/IMAG0689_zps1e696f97.jpg.html'>IMAG0689_zps1e696f97.jpg

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/junktionfet/media/bath_time/IMAG0690_zps83872fce.jpg.html'>IMAG0690_zps83872fce.jpg

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/junktionfet/media/bath_time/IMAG0691_zpsbc679a1d.jpg.html'>IMAG0691_zpsbc679a1d.jpg

http://s2.photobucket.com/user/junktionfet/media/bath_time/IMAG0692_zps19f96086.jpg.html'>IMAG0692_zps19f96086.jpg

Well there was almost NO more MI16 on Sunday at 4:30am. My friends were celebrating two year anniversary and they wanted to have all bridesmaids and groomsmen present,so as I don't drink I was DD and I had to show off in MI16 to let them know that Peugeots are bad ass :-) on the way to dinner I was driving like a 17 year old in 24 year old car,taking corners fast ETC and other friend with 2011 IS250 she was driving the same way butshe could not hang and gave up (she just sold her EVO and R1,also there were no cars around and I did nog drive that stupid were I could indanger someones life)

On the way home I enter corner bit too fast and rear got loose and end up spining it 180*,facing in wrong direction and on the wrong side of the street. Lucky for me there was no other vehicles around and we all stayed in one pice including MI16.

Right after that I told my self that's what you get for driving like a 17 year old...dumb ass...

I totaly forgot that MI16 is not my AWD cars with LSD and sticky tires so leson learned.

Noticing how the cars morphed over the years in Joe's picture and it occured to me that if I parked my 1989 ZX-10 beside a 2013 ZX-10 the exact opposite would show up as the new bike would be the tiny svelt little thing beside the old bike...

I've never been in the newer Acura's so can't comment on the drive aspect, but thank goodness they toned down the chrome beak of a grill on it! And yes - you are missing a very specific Peugeot and you should be discussing this omission with Jonathan post haste. :)

Rabin

The beak is still a bit much IMO, and one of the first mods I'm doing is getting it painted body color (leaving the Acura badge as-is). I've seen a few others do this and it looks nice. The TSX is still the European market Honda Accord, and its grille looks pretty alright. However, putting a Honda grille and badge on an Acura is just too much of a ricer-mod for me :)

This TSX is the first car I've owned with EPS (electronic power steering). It's kind of weird; The rack is quick, like 2.5 turns lock to lock or something. The steering itself is nice and hefty, but there's this very subtle vagueness right on-center. When I first got the car the vagueness coupled with the quick rack resulted in me weaving a lot on the freeway. I've since gotten used to it.

I feel bad about J's Peugeots, as they are literally sitting there wasting away. Getting them out of there is a big undertaking though, but I'd like to try.

We're feeling the "June Gloom" right now here in Southern California and it just so happens to be finals week.

Nevertheless, me and some of my teammates were out looking at open houses and spotted an old 505 next door to the best one so far.

Think it was a deal-sealer, even if it was a rusted out '83 S :D

Sina - it only gets worse I'm afraid, and time seems to go into some weird warp drive when you're married and have kids... It doesn't even seem that long ago that I was in university, but then you add up the years and it's like WTF! Were did the time go...

Enjoy it indeed though - it's an awesome time, but if you make good choices it just gets better and better. :D

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...
Sina - it only gets worse I'm afraid, and time seems to go into some weird warp drive when you're married and have kids... It doesn't even seem that long ago that I was in university, but then you add up the years and it's like WTF! Were did the time go...

as they say on the internet, THIS.

anyhow, the A/C on my daily driver VW went out a week or so ago. the fan would still blow, but it wouldn't cool down. for a couple of months before that, it would do this occasionally but it always seemed to "fix" itself -- it was an intermittent problem. did some googling, and i discovered that these symptoms pointed to a bad auxiliary fusebox -- there is a fuse for the compressor in this auxiliary fusebox that sits on top of the battery, and over time these fuseboxes can have a "meltdown" that breaks the circuit such that the compressor can't turn on. this is a common problem with mk4 VWs, it happens to all of them sooner or later (11 years in my case); additionally, the last time i took my car into the dealership for service 6-8 months ago, they mentioned that the auxiliary fusebox was looking a little melty. so i checked it out and sure enough, i had this problem:

PhotoJul1062411PM_zpsab50bc2a.jpg

i ordered a replacement auxiliary fusebox from ECS tuning (about US$50), just got it in today and changed it out in about 20 minutes. success! i now have A/C again for this unseasonably hot summer...

andré

I realize it seems silly to look at bicycles what with all the rain we've seen on the east coast lately, but I took a look at a few Peugeots this weekend. I might pull the trigger on one. Not quite the same as a four wheeled Peugeot, but it's still a Peugeot!

This past weekend I finished up staining my deck and the front steps, then bolted the steps on for final assembly. Deck is pressure treated spruce 2x8's for the base, and 5/4x6 cedar decking. Stained with a semi transparent cedar specific stain by CIL:

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

The front step is 2x8 perimeter, with 2x6 supports inside on 12" spacing, and 5/4x6 cedar planking on top. Steps are 2x12 Fir that I routered a bevel onto, and sanded to make it look nice - turned out awesome.

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

I built it off the remains of my concrete step that turned out to be poured into the foundation of my house. So rather than remove it completely I had them cut it so that I could use it to support the new step. 6x6 posts hold up an 8x8 beam that supports the 2x6 decking. 2x8 perimeter just to make it look beefier and to hide a bit of the beam - turned out awesome and getting great compliments from neighbours.

IMG_0980.JPG

Now i need to get the white aluminum railing to finish it off, but first I have to finish assembly of a 10x12 solarium that we got from Costco on the deck. Aluminum structure with screen panels and double sliding doors on all four sides, with a canopy inside for blocking sun if needed. Pics to follow when it's complete.

Oh yeah - bought and assembled a back yard wood fire cooker / campfire thingy as well.

It was a busy weekend!

Rabin

it looks really good!

how much of the deck will be covered by the solarium? it sounds like it's going to cover most of it, such that you will essentially have a sunroom attached to the rear of your house...which will be pretty cool...

also, that front landing would look really good with some sort of large potted plants flanking the front door...just sayin'.... :)

andré