Peugeot 505 STX at VIR

anj

Hi all

Being working late nights to get the car ready for this event which included the battery relocation and wheel mod. Was driving down for the event at 0500 at about 80 mph and when I touched the brake for an exit ramp the electrical system completely shut down. Thought my cable had been cut with my routing but everything looked fine. The culprit was that I had put in a distribution box for all the positive going to the battery and I had fused it with 30 amp fuse. Fixed it and it happened again after ten minutes so I ran a hard wire in the fuse holder and everything was fine.

Made it to tech on time but my brakes would only last one day, I had bought some on ebay and thought I would change it that evening. Ran four sessions of 30 minutes with no problems and the car was fantastic especially considering the cars in my group. My instructor was a ex M6 racer and really inspired me do do well. He drove my car in one session for two laps and later I rode in his 2003 M3 track car.

That evening at the hotel when I tried to change the pads they were the wrong ones. After three parts places found one that could get it overnight. Next day I attended the meetings and classes and then drove 25 miles to Advance auto and installed the pads in the parking lot. Drove back and had missed one run but passed tech.

Last day had gradual improvement that my instuctor gave the OK for me to solo the last run. This was like passing my first drivers lic. Fantastic event with great organization.

some pics from the pros

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67027731@N04/sets/72157629823013988/

Arun

I will upload some in car and car videos later.

Speechless Arun - the car looks absolutely stunning! Congrats on an exceptionally well executed wheel mod.

Looks like perfect fit, and I'm dying to talk to you to get all the details on how it handled. The PS2's should have had amazing traction, and with that much rubber under the car it should have stuck with some pretty big dogs through the corners. Also really curious to hear how it compared to the M3... :)

So many desktop images to choose from now too... lol

Rabin

I agree Ohms - the bar has been raised.

I've always been amazed how wheels alone can transform a car, and I'm astounded how much better the 505 looks with some nice wheels.

Rabin

awesome mod, arun! i agree with the others, this is a new high-water mark! smile.gif

how does the new setup handle?

andré

Thanks for all the comments. To answer how it handles, the best way is to show the video.. The run was done in fourth gear as we concentrated on braking and turning. When I did the solo I was downshifting to 3rd. The car handle better then expected, increasing the track with by 4 inches has decreased the lean it showed with stock rims.

Arun

WOW! I'm loving the wheel conversion! what sorts of engine mods do you have on the STX?

phil

Hi Phil

The the engine is stock right down to the air filter. Only mod in the works is to change the headers to the eagle premier ones.

Arun

The cost so far has been minimal 100.00 for the headers shipped, exhaust gaskets 12.00, new studs, washers and nuts. I will up date when I install. I need to port match the manifold, gaskets, and the head. Would also like to get them coated after dry fitting. I have all the parts except the salvage yard sent two left side manifolds and waiting for the replacement.

Arun

This is remarkable Arun...I saw the post on motoringconbrio and it just made me really miss my Turbo. Do you have a build thread for the hub conversion? I guess I'm back to scouring the net for a turbo or an STX!

p.s. I was pleasantly surprised at the sound the V6 makes, didn't know it could be a howler...any mods to the exhaust?