WTB: '89 Torsen differential

Bean

Mine is clunking... I`ve been googling for fixes and it sounds like it *could* be the wear in the small gears in the assembly - or it could just need re-shimming. Won`t know until I crack it open.

My brother Arun also wants one for his STX...

Rabin

Diff's been leaking since purchase, but I've been religious about filling it. Torsen doesn't specify LSD fluid or additive since it's purely a geared drive system - just plain old gear oil is supposed to be good.

If I can find one that doesn't leak - or successfully rebuild mine I'll run redline lightweight shockproof oil in it.

The diff in the car is a replacement diff August installed because the original was clunking too. I've run my car at auto-x and rally-x so not sure if it's a weakness of the diff or what.

If I pull it apart and it's FUBAR they I'll put in a regular diff.

Rabin

Diff's been leaking since purchase, but I've been religious about filling it. Torsen doesn't specify LSD fluid or additive since it's purely a geared drive system - just plain old gear oil is supposed to be good.

If I can find one that doesn't leak - or successfully rebuild mine I'll run redline lightweight shockproof oil in it.

The diff in the car is a replacement diff August installed because the original was clunking too. I've run my car at auto-x and rally-x so not sure if it's a weakness of the diff or what.

If I pull it apart and it's FUBAR they I'll put in a regular diff.

Rabin

I would try an additive, we use in our torsen, or the Kendall stuff

0302121157.jpg

My father says he has a good used torsen pack he's saved, he snapped the pinion everything is good, you just have to swap everything over. He has never ruined a torsen beside this one that he has saved. Sounds like maybe yours maybe was ran a little dry?

The clunking sounded like excess lash in the driveline, and it's starting to make a decent clunk. It sounds exactly like my F150 did when the spider gears were worn out... :blink:

I've read a few threads of other Torsen diffs clunking and the response from others was that it needed to be reshimmed. Others said the gears in the Torsen would be worn - but haven't found anyone that updated the thread with the solution!

If you're Dad is wanting the cable then sounds like we can work out a parts trade and everyone is happy. I'll PM you and we can work out the details.

Rabin

• 3 years later...

the little i know about torsen differentials vs. conventional LSD -- torsen are more complicated, and thus more expensive than conventional LSD. additionally, for certain applications -- i.e., drag racing -- the torsen's unique functionality make it more likely to break than a conventional LSD. as i understand it, torsens are better at distributing power through turns than a conventional LSD; drag racers give no fucks about turns, so the benefits of the torsen are overkill for them.

i'm sure nick and rabin can explain it better.

andré

The biggest disadvantage of Torsen diff is that both wheels have to be on the road surface for load to be distributed. If one of the wheels is lifted then power will go to the wheel in the air which means you lose drive.

I've done a fair bit of loose surface driving and it's worked amazingly well - I like it more than the standard LSD.

Rabin

I've only ever run my car with studded winter tires - so even on ice I had enough grip for the torsen to work.

If you had bald tires on glare ice the worst thing that could happen is you'd just have one tire with drive.

Rabin

I fully agree, but sadly ALL car makers look for the most savings possible. Torsen diff's are expensive - so they usually were / are only used on the most expensive models / makes.

Rabin

Do you know who was OEM of torsen for diff P-505, P-405?

Quaife is aftermarket but is it better of OEM, is it much robust then OEM or it is the same quality, is it better to get one original of Peugeot diff or to buy new Quaife?

What would you do if you don't care about the money?

I believe Torsen is also the name of the company - just like Quaife is the name of the company that makes them.

If money was no object I would build for the purpose I was using the car for. There's actually some very cool custom options from Bas Overveld that would be at the top of my list for building a high end diff for the Peugeot: http://www.overveldtrading.nl/

When I get back from vacation I'll be detailing options specific to Peugeot diff's...

Rabin

Cost no object you say? Like Rabin said, it's all about application. For a street car torsens are nice and maintenance free, but have some disadvantages since they cant lock. Clutch types are all around good, but may need infrequent maintenance. A company called wavetrac makes torsen style diffs that have a locking ramp so you don't lose drive on an unloaded wheel. This bridges the gap between the two styles of differential. For my money I'll take a 1.5 way clutch diff any day over a torsen.