'89 505 V6 Resurrection

billbranch

Hi Bill - Fernando and I had a LONG discussion back and forth with pics and everything in the Peugeot 505 of North America on Facebook - see link.

There might be something here - but LOTS of info in that discussion. From memory - there is a new style grill that should work, but they did a front end restyle with more aero euro lights and the grill that angles forward.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/40914120063/?view=permalink&id=10150270717590064#!/groups/40914120063/10150224584930064/

When I get time I'll steal that info and put it in a tech article. :)

Rabin

it was blue, wasnt it? the whole car i mean. i feel like i remember that. i found this on google:

26112000002_large.jpg

im thinking maybe a 405 grille might work with some cutting...but maybe its not tall enough to fill the 505 front opening.

and then bean and me were talking about a custom sunken honeycomb style grille, see the exterior mods section

Hi, Everybody,

Work is progressing on my '89 V6. I shall attempt to get pictures.

My question right now: there was a thread within the last few years which had a picture of a 505 in Argentina with an aftermarket grille.

Can anyone remember where?

Thanks.

Both pictures show the redone "Aero" front end with new sloped headlights and the angled grill... If you did this you'd need the lights too.

Personally - I find the "vertical" grill and euro headlights more aggressive looking - but that's just from the pics. I might change my mind in person.

Rabin

Pretty sure there was a 1 or 2 year window where that newer grill style was used with the regular lights. If you want the full updated look though - you need the lights as well.

Can't wait to see pics of the car Bill!

Rabin

Bill - Just out of curiosity - What all are you getting done / planning to get done on the car?

I'm curious to see what others are doing to their cars as I'm planning the restification of my 89' as well at the moment. Bye bye bank account indeed!

Rabin

I bought the car from someone in Yonkers almost two years ago.

I originally thought I'd need two rear arms but, after the rust coating was peeled off, I am changing two front fenders and radiator support.

The left front inner fender from the strut forward and part of the lower rail had to be replaced. The two driver's side doors need repair at the bottom. Lower rear quarter behind both rear wheels had to be replaced (hidden by bumper). The right rear wheel well by the gas tank had a two inch rust out full height and at the trunk level there everything had to be reconstructed. Part of the trunk floor had to be replaced. There is an area of rust on the driver's side front windshield which will necessitate removing the windshield. The car will have to be all sanded at a minimum maybe all stripped because someone tossed a quickie paint job on it and did crappy prep.

The front bumper was damaged on both sides and is being replaced.

The shocks have been changed. Brakes all rehabilated. New radiator, AC condenser. Water pump. Valves adjusted.

I'll let you know when I run out of things to do.

I'm shooting for Saratoga Springs.

Maybe I'm dreaming.

Holy cow Bill - you win - hands down!

My car is essentially rust free - there's just some bubbling around the window that seems to be surface rust - but the windshield is coming out, and it's getting bead blasted to ensure it's all 100%. If it blows through then I'll cut and replace whatever is needed. all the doors, and the rear quarter panels are rust free.

I'm also having the car put on a frame straightener to ensure everything is good - I've had issues with panel gaps and such, so I'd like to make sure I have a known good chassis before I start. So far my list is both front fenders and the rad support to fix poor accident repairs and ensure proper fitting and alignment of the lights and grill. Rear quarter panel replacement to fix another crappy repair, and I want to detail the undercarriage by removing all the bad jack dents and anything else I find under the car.

Once the panels are done and I have nice panel gaps - I may need to do a bare metal respray as well - but we'll play that one by ear to see if it's necessary. I have to draw the line somewhere as I can't afford a "proper" restoration, but it'll be a damn fine resto that will have the car looking better than new.

BTW - I did a bunch of research and I'll be using Wurth undercoatings and seam sealers. German restorers use it on older BMW's and it looks to be a good match with what Peugeot used as well, and it's very good quality.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I thought I had posted a picture of some of the progress. I must have been dreaming.

Regardless, some bits I am still searching for:

Fog light plastic surrounds which snap into the bumper

Any fog light parts

The side skirt covers at the jacking points

Spoiler(Rabin?)

Antenna grommet or more info on a replacement

Right now the nose is pretty much done. The rotted inner fender at the left front has been replaced, and the new radiator support has been installed. All of the new work had been painted silver in preparation for the new fenders.

The windshield has to come out. The back glass will go, too, so I can use matching rubber. Any leads on this or glass?

Thanks,

Bill

Hello,

One of the most interesting shots I had was of the left front which apparently was in a mishap, which bent some of the metal around the headlight but which ultimately cracked undercoating and caused much rusting. The picture shows from the front, the fabricated parts at the side to mate with the fender. We cut just in front of the strut tower and replaced with very sound section from a donor car. The bottom rail was rusted completely, replaced as well. Please note the square hole cut by PO or his agent for work at clutch hydraulics. Very creative.

post-35-0-49140000-1327258158_thumb.jpg

Hi, Everybody,

Work is progressing on my '89 V6. I shall attempt to get pictures.

My question right now: there was a thread within the last few years which had a picture of a 505 in Argentina with an aftermarket grille.

Can anyone remember where?

Thanks.

I have have a 89 v6 also and u did the right thing to cut a hole in the inner fender to get at the CLUTCH MASTER. I just parted out a 87 turbo stick and found removing ABS unit to be a bitch. I pulled the complete dash to get at the ABS nuts. it was easier for a old man. Heads up my v6 idles a little rough will ck O2 sensor output. Screw is stripped at air mass sensor. has any one had any like with adjust the Idle control valve like the book says. with the wire near the air filter. Going 0 to 13 volts Thanks Frank

Guest EUROTRASH

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around lately.

Bean is correct. The grill belongs to the last version of the Argentine 505, 1992-1995.

This grill only works together with headlights designed specifically for this model, as the angles are different... less aggressive like Bean said. Euro lights will NOT work with this grill.

Last I checked the grill was no longer available new, let alone the lion emblem that goes with it (sold separately), the headlights though might be available new. Still pretty difficult as the source would have to be either Argentina or Chile.

Hope this didn't disappoint anyone too badly.

I thought about converting my 505's front end to this version but grew out of it over time, I think if my 505 had this setup originally I'd probably want to convert it to the one I already have. We always want different, what we don't have just for the hell of it... don't we?

More aggressive is better. :P

I have have a 89 v6 also and u did the right thing to cut a hole in the inner fender to get at the CLUTCH MASTER. I just parted out a 87 turbo stick and found removing ABS unit to be a bitch. I pulled the complete dash to get at the ABS nuts. it was easier for a old man. Heads up my v6 idles a little rough will ck O2 sensor output. Screw is stripped at air mass sensor. has any one had any like with adjust the Idle control valve like the book says. with the wire near the air filter. Going 0 to 13 volts Thanks Frank

I tried following the procedure in the manual - connecting to wire 22 then adjusting the screw on the MAF sensor until the voltage varies between 0 and thirteen volts. No luck so I bought an aftermarket MAF sensor. Still no luck. The adjustment screw never stops turning either, so there is no way to know if I have turned it too far or not. Has anyone successfully made this adjustment?

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the shop yesterday. Everything is primed except the doors. There is a small rust issue at the bottom of the driver's door.

Glass is out. I am waiting for new gaskets for the glass and a new/used sunroof. I do have new side moldings which I bought on ebay.fr, not OEM but close enough. Possibly the wheels will be dolled up, too.

The only masking which will be done will be at the gutters of the roof.

This has cost at least a down payment on an ocean-front cottage in Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA, but it will be worth it.

Yup - I also can't wait for pics and details!

I'd recommend taking lots of pics during the process if you can as well - it'll help document the lengths you went to for the restoration and will be VERY handy for it's appraisal later.

I'm trying to collect as much documentation as I can for the rarity of the 89'cars - hopefully with some documentation and bills to show restoration costs - insured value at least will keep the investment relatively safe in an unforseen accident or mishap.

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...

I was talking about the red velour interior I think on peugeot-l, and one of our friends from France said there were only nine or eleven V6 with red sent to the US '89 model. Does that sound right?

Anyway, the last impediments to progress have been removed.

Windshield trims. Would the 405 metal fit the 505 rear gasket? Has anyone ever tried?

And the little plastic covers for the jacking points, any spares?

Thanks.

My brother Arun bought that 89 505 S w/V6 and it had red velour interior with grey. Pretty sure it was knackered so it didn't get saved when they parted it out.

Jack point covers - I never saw the point of them and had mine glued in place and finished seemlessly. A good body guy should be able to do that no problem.

Rabin