Winter maintenance/service/track preparation

bryancohnracing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, the car is running strong again! The mis-fire was a worn out vacuum line from the cannon ball that runs the HVAC. Replaced easy peasy. Had a new upper radiator hose in stock, however the line that feed water to the turbo was short about 1 ft. Weird. Lucky I had some left over Oetiker clamps in stock in the right size and in no time had that fixed. If you've not seen Oetiker clamps, enjoy:

http://www.oetiker.com/en/Products#/?l0=A7D278F8664B424DA07D0E74E96A6B8A&l1=857A6B4A67774216A3AAE58752B204A9&l2=FB521EC93BE240B590F0358FEC73F269&l3=574E8DE591FC4F3AA800774EAC5BD7B5

Takes a special tool which I own as well. Used these on oil lines on various Formula Fords over the years. The advantage is that they do not require retightening. They aren't to be used on a connection that will have to come apart, but for permanent connections they are perfect.

Found a set of Kmac camber plates from an BMW 325i (E30 chassis). Looks like they will fit the OEM shock shaft. If so I'll start the coil over upgrade in the front on my spare strut housings while saving $$$$ for an ECU upgrade.

Oh, since the car didn't sell I guess I'll be keeping it! Took the pressure off myself in regard to getting it done, which helped. If it takes 6 months to have it ready to hit the track again so be it.

WOOHOO! I'm very happy you're able to join the 505 turbo "modification at your own leisure" club! It frightens me to see how long I've had plans for my car, and how little of it is actually on the car - but I can assure you there is a Tsunami of parts in my garage ready to be deployed once I can justify the time to dedicate to the car.

Family and house always come first - but my mind is always workin' on the cars. :)

Cool to see how the camber plates work out. Vorshlag makes some nice but $$$ ones for Subaru I was thinking of using eventually since there are a couple of guys that sell Subaru strut mount reinforcement plates that you could weld into place for easy strengthening and easy mounting. Still not sure if the top mount is the way to go - or custom adjustable LCA's. I always here how camber plate spherical bearings wear out so fast.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

My limited experience with camber plates tells me that the spherical bearings don't wear out too fast, but then my experience with camber plates is pretty limited! In open wheel cars, my experience the damn things wear out crazy fast, depending on where they were used.

The guy hasn't removed them yet but tells me he will within the next week or so.

Biggest problem I have right now is my racing budget is toast. Buy parts for the Peugeot or race the Miata? Well, duh that's a easy one to answer, RACE the Miata!

Hi Bryan

We are happy that you will be keeping the car as you are a great resource. Regarding the prep for your 505

Do you change any fluids post the track session? What are do need to do for the next session? What tire pressures do you recommend?

It was suggested that I add 2 Ibs to the driver front and look at wear indicators. Later some one else recommended lower pressure.....

Tires are Michelin ps2's.

Thanks Arun

Between events I'll bleed brakes, check all fluids. I may change the oil as it is running rich and if the oil gets diluted from fuel its no good. Cheap insurance!

I'll also check various nuts/bolts on the suspension, and look over the exhaust, its mountings, etc.

Under the hood I'll check hose clamps, plug wires, various wiring connections, etc.

If all goes to plan I can do it all in 4-5 hours.

I ran my tires at 32 psi. However they are Hoosier 205/50/15 R compound. I run them around 28 psi on the Miata. More air due to the added weight of the 505.

I run about 1 3/4 degrees of negative camber, the most I can get without camber plates. .05 toe out per side front. Very little in other words!

I was seeing 36-38 psi hot which is in the ball park.

As for your tire pressures, it all depends on several things:

Size

How was the car handling? More on that via email.

What do the tires look like once you come off track?

Start pressure? Finish pressure?

Front outside edges wearing?

This can go on and on..... :lol:

Bryan

Thanks for the info

I will bleed the brakes and I was going to switch the antifreeze to Toyota red anyway after a few flushes. The tires wore very even and within the wear indicators and didnt seem to roll during hard turns. I checked the pressures cold every day but didnt check when hot. Handling is hard to describe as this set up was four days old when i took it to the track. I didnt come close to the limit on the tires or brakes at any time and found it difficult to slide the rear end out as my instructor did. Even the brakes never indicated any fade and this was the hardest braking I have ever done with no lock up and the ABS was off. Near the end of the session on my solo drive was the first time I was downshifting and with mre practise i will be able to use the power. I am eager for the next event which will probably be an autocross as these tires and wheels are wrong for rallycross.

Arun

I use ATE Super Blue brake fluid in the 505 and the Miata. Its high temp (550F or higher), inexpensive and I can get it locally. I think I paid $10 per liter this spring.

Best part is ATE makes it in two colors, so you can swap to the other color and know when you've bled new fluid through easily. I think its yellow or gold?

In regard to cooling, water is a much better coolant than antifreeze. It absorbs heat better and shed heat better. My car ran hotter than I'd have liked so in the process of draining coolant to fix the upper hose I filled it with a bottle of Red Line Water Wetter and water. I'm sure some antifreeze is still in there but not much, just enough to stop corrosion and lube the water pump. You might try this if temp is a problem.

My car won't rotate unless I trail brake and then its still tough unless I simply mashed the throttle and lit up the inside rear tire. LSD works but physics still apply.

I ran an autocross once in the old 505 race car. It was horrible. Totally unsuited for that kind of driving! Hopefully you'll have more fun.

Hot pressure is the key. In much of racing people are using nitrogen instead of air in tires. Why? Cause nitrogen does not "grow" in pressure like air does when heated and thus you can set your tire pressures to their hot settings when cold. Nitrogen also is "dry" meaning no moisture content which is important in racing tires for temperature control and wear. Not so much in street use.

Note, I do not use nitrogen, I'm old school air guy!

• 4 weeks later...

Not much going on of late, but next up is the Automobilia Show and Street Party July 14. A small group of NASA guys are showing our cars, recruiting new drivers and having some fun. This show closes 8 blocks of downtown Wichita, bring in 1500 cars and 100,000 people for one night of craziness, fun, music, cars and at midnight we get to cruise Douglas (main street in downtown). I'll be showing the 505 for the first time.

Still working on a stand alone ECU system, no decisions made on that. For the show I should have the Autopower roll bar and 5 point belts installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge fun last night at the car show/street party! Talked myself to a hoarse voice from all the interest in the Peugeot, it was crazy.

Great fun to see people do double takes, stop, look and shake their heads in amazement, lots of questions, met some nice people and had a great time.

The show ran from 4 pm to Midnight and about 100,000 people take it all in. From about 7:30-10 pm the street is wall to wall people, so thick you can't cross from side to side. Huge, silly, stupid fun!

Best of all we must have recruited 50 new drivers to NASA! The goal was 5....to say we are pleased is possibly the understatement of the year.

post-279-0-34951100-1342375740_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-63376700-1342375754_thumb.jpg

That's awesome Bryan! Glad the car was a hit with the crowd too - good know they haven't faded into oblivion yet. :D

Still can't wait to see what that car can do with a stand alone and proper tuning.

Rabin

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is always amused at how many people run across a parking lot to talk to me when I pull up in my Peugeot. They usually have some story about how they, or some acquaintance, had one, and how they haven't seen one in years. Sometimes they just always wanted one. Yesterday a couple of guys walked by and one pointed and smiled and said 84?. I told him 85 and he nodded and walked on. It's not like I have a shiny new looking specimen either.

I love the affect these cars have even when people don't know what it is or don't have a lot of car knowledge... I was fueling up my 89 505 Turbo and went in to pay leaving my sister in the car. When I came out she was laughing at the attendants - apparently my car created quite the stir as none of the kids had a clue what it was - car is debadged except for the standing lion on the grill. Apparently one of the guys was adamant that it must be a Porsche and convinced the others it was a Porsche sedan... :D I can't really blame them - all likely 16 or 17 they likely had never scene a 505 let alone know what it was without a badge to tell them.

Another cool story was after getting my euro headlights 3M protected (dropped them off), I picked them up and they were curious to see my car. Everyone including a couple customers and another shop owner next door came out and checked the car out. Bunch of car guys checking it out was a nice feeling.

Rabin

• 5 weeks later...

Thought an update was in order as its been since mid July since I had the battery/charge problem coming home from the car show at 1 am.

The update is........nothing to update! I've been too busy racing the Miata, getting our daughter back to school and all the activities that go along with that and our home was burglarized July 22nd. That has taken huge amounts of time and we are still finding things missing, just yesterday we found a bottle of vodka to add to the list.

Looks like it may be another week or so before I can get to a full on investigation. Based on checks done so far I believe the alternator exited the building. :lol:

Next outing may be October 20-21 at Heartland Park in Topeka. Depends on how this weekend goes, racing the Miata at Motorsports Park Hastings, Hastings NE. If I do well I'll need to finish out the final two events in the Miata, if not, well then the 505 gets to come out to play.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the alternator to Alternator and Starter Co in downtown Wichita last Wednesday. Wasn't in the door but a minute when a gent came out of the office, saw what I had in hand from about 10-15 ft away and said, "Renault or Peugeot?" Stunned to say the least! Turns out the owner is from Croatia, owned a 505 long ago as well an various Renaults. Told me his faves were his first, an R4 and his 505. Should have it back, newly rebuilt first of the week. Talk about hitting a home run!

Racing season has been up and down. Only raced 3 times, 1 win, 2 seconds, 1 lap record. Had planned to race more but we our home was broken into back in late July and then again 2 weeks ago so it mucked up our summer pretty good. First time lost quite a bit including my computer containing my life's work in motorsports. Irreplaceable.....

I must say I really do enjoy racing the Miata. Its satisfying to drive, fast enough, amazingly reliable and inexpensive to race. Kind of the polar opposite to the 505! haha

Next race is Heartland Park Topeka October 20-21 to finish off the season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update!

I'm out of commission till January 1, had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder October 29. As I'm left handed.....well I'm not worth a shit these days! hahaha

Raced the Miata Oct 21 at Heartland Park Topeka, hurt like hell to steer but stuck it out to win.

So my winter plans are on major hold for now. Rehab twice a week, no strength training for another 3-4 weeks. My hope is to be able to race come late March. Time will tell.

How'd I hurt myself you ask?

Driving home from dropping my daughter at school saw a lawn mower in a front yard with a "FREE" sign on it. As our lawn service guy is a young man just getting started I thought I'd be nice, grab it, fix it up and give him a 2nd mower. Instead, as I was lifting it in my car I heard a SNAP/CRACK, like a small tree branch breaking. OUCH!

This just goes on to prove once again that no good deed goes unpunished! :lol:

That sucks Bryan! Hope the rehab goes well and you're good as new.

Good thing is that you can still bench build in your head while you heal so you'll have a well sorted "todo" list for yourself when you're better. :)

Rabin

+1 on the suckage. hope you get better soon!

this whole "picking up stuff on the side of the road" is a never-ending battle between me and my wife. i'm for leaving stuff be, my wife wants to pick everything up. her recent purchase of a truck hasn't helped things! btw, bryan, was it the volvo or the subaru that you were driving?

the good news is, your post has given me ammunition in this battle, so i appreciate your sacrifice. thanks for taking one for the team! :D

andré

• 5 weeks later...

Rehab is going well, virtually no pain throughout. I was driving the Baja, if it had been the Volvo I'd have never thought of tossing a mower in the back!

One more week and then I get to start actual muscle work. Goal is to be able to race by the end of March. Am I lame for thinking I might install power steering in the Miata or a giant 20 inch steering wheel in the 505??? :blink: