Another big family trip in the 89' 505 turbo...

Bean

We did another trip this past weekend in the Peugeot with our Volvo not really fit for highway duties just yet.

Trip to the in-laws was great, but after attending a friends reception we arrived back at the in-laws to a rapidly growing coolant puddle under the car. Checked it out with a flash light and it looked like the water pump was leaking. Damn!

Next morning I figured the easiest way to fix it was to drive back home (600 kms round trip) to get the water pump and some tools - even lined up the sister-in-laws 2008 Accord. Before I left I thought I better check a little better in the daylight - good thing too - 'cause the pump was fine! Turns out the lower rad hose was turning to goo and had split right at the water pump.

Removed the section that went from the pump to the lower rad hose heater (needed for cold winters), and then went to a couple different shops to find a suitable replacement. Ended up finding the perfect hose (after a couple hours) for $20 that had the end I needed.

Repair itself was very quick yesterday afternoon, and I was able to go visit my Dad this morning, drive him around for a couple hours, then return back home with the family tonight. I did about 1100 kms this weekend and the car ran great. The car is even getting really good fuel economy too - MUCH better than the Volvo does at similar travel speeds... :D

Interesting note: I did my parts running around in the Accord: It had decent power, but my god did it handle like ass. Seats were hard and unsupportive, and the stereo sound quality wasn't that good. Sure it's a reliable car and has lots of features, but it really is an appliance and I was VERY happy to get back into my car.

What I really need to do now though is take a note from Andre and my brother and gut the interior for some soundproofing. The 505 is really let down most by the high NVH levels that age the car the most. Handling and comfort the car has few equals. If I can get it sound proofed and the stereo properly installed it'll be much more comparable to any of the new crop of cars.

I also need to figure out the best way to get all the coolant hoses on this car replaced. I tried a couple silicon hose vendors, but getting multiples made means getting a LOT of them done, or it's big money for one offs. I think the best bet now is to remake them in metal and install with silicone couplers at each end for vibration. I know I can make them out of copper fittings, but sadly they LOOK like I made them with copper fittings. If I could get them tig'd up in aluminum fittings they'd be ideal... Or maybe the trick is how to finish the copper...

Rabin

I would PM my brother Arun as he's doing his 88' STX right now. I think he figures 3 bulk packs (33 sq ft each) should do the car including the doors, but not sure.

It would definitely not be economically feasible to have someone do it as the entire interior needs to be gutted. It'd likley be a good week long project to do all the other stuff like pressure wash carpets and wire in better audio wiring / install.

I just know I need to do it myself on by 505 - it's highway manners are fantastic, but that NVH really shows the cars age. I also plan to flush mount the front and rear windshields, might shave the gutters (during repaint), and fit better side mirrors as those three things generate a lot of wind noise.

Rabin

Hey Rabin,

Would u know ball park estimate how much it would cost to install the sound deading materials to make our 505's more quiet?

Hi Pushgo

The dynamat from Amazon was the best deal with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Xtreme-Bulk-Sheets/dp/B00020CB2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315065498&sr=8-1

I used two bulk packs for floor, back of seats and parcel shelf. Still have roof and doors to do for a total of three packs.

Arun

Holy smokes - just checked to see what they'd charge to ship to Canada... ~$102 for EACH one - shipping alone. Ouchy.

Looks like I'll have to figure out a time when I can order and pick up in the States.

Rabin

the dynamat is sort of like sheets of asphalt backed with foil...the package is akin to a box of asphalt roofing shingles, which would be a nightmare to ship as it's really heavy. the surprising thing is that it's so cheap to ship in the US, amazon must be getting some sort of kickback from UPS that they've built into the price.

the US postal service has international flat rate shipping for fairly cheap...something like US$12 for 20 pounds as long as it fits in the box. i believe the bulk pack is right around 20 pounds, you could have it shipped to arun or me, and then have us send it to you that way...might be worth looking into...

otherwise, you could find a canadian vendor for the dynamat...

andré

In regard to hose replacement:

I think the answer is going to be one similar to how I've plumbed (and is the industry standard) for most race cars. I know, you are all saying, "There he goes again..."; Let me explain:

You can buy silicone hose in various size, color, steps (from one size to another), bends, etc.

Basically, you lay out what hoses bends you need, then connect then using the appropriately sized aluminum tube with a bead rolled in each end (the lip the hose slides over to create a proper seal). The ally tube can be polished to a chrome like finish, scuffed with scotch brite for a matte finish, powder coated any color, painted, you name it.

Use high quality clamps and you have a solid professional finish that is reliable and easily repairable.

What you end up with is a 100% reliable plumbing job using modern materials. Cost is probably on the high side and you'll spend a good weekend on the install/fitment plus more up front making the ally tubes, cutting and fitting hoses but the end result, I think, looks cool.

I'v built many cars this way and never suffered a failure of any kind. Silicone hose is amazing stuff. Ally can degrade over time but I've only ever seen it once in a race car and then it was highly neglected.

My two cents and what my long term plans are on my 505.

I can only imagine the sigh of relief that it was just the hose and not the water pump. Eeek especially for the N9Txx!

I know what you mean about NVH, etc. When I bought my TSX, having just stepped out of my '82 505, I was blown away by just how intrusive everything was in the old car. Body structure stiffness, wind noise abatement, and engine smoothness have come such a long freakin way. Fortunately the TSX wasn't devoid of personality... it had some interior rattles here and there (fairly common on Hondas amazingly), and I had some weird electrical glitches fixed under warranty. Still, I missed the 505's seats and superior visibility. It seems that new cars, even new Peugeots, can't touch those damn seats!

I can only imagine the sigh of relief that it was just the hose and not the water pump. Eeek especially for the N9Txx!

I know what you mean about NVH, etc. When I bought my TSX, having just stepped out of my '82 505, I was blown away by just how intrusive everything was in the old car. Body structure stiffness, wind noise abatement, and engine smoothness have come such a long freakin way. Fortunately the TSX wasn't devoid of personality... it had some interior rattles here and there (fairly common on Hondas amazingly), and I had some weird electrical glitches fixed under warranty. Still, I missed the 505's seats and superior visibility. It seems that new cars, even new Peugeots, can't touch those damn seats!

Umm... I hoard parts like a mad man. If it was the pump it just meant a trip back to my garage. I've got a good used one, a new one for the future engine rebuild, and 2 unknown used ones that I plan to rebuild... Matra dudes figured out that the 205 WP uses the same guts, so they take the rebuilt guts out of the 205 pump and put it in the N9te housings. (I have a 205 pump to verify this myself)

The seats? They're insanely good. I thought my V70R was damn near as good, and they're renowned for being very good, but back to back comparisons and the 505 is definitely better. Even my wife LOVES long trips in the 505 because of the seats.

What I really need to do though is get my 86 TD wagon done, sound deaden that sucker, and I'll have greater comfort than the 505 sedans, AND it'll get 40+ mpg.

Rabin

What does the wagon need? Man, those XD3T/4HP cars are pretty cool. I hate automatics but I have to make an exception. It's the coolest thing to have the torque converter locked at 1500-ish RPM, give it some throttle, watch the boost gauge go right up to the last white mark, and feel the car surge forward.

Since balance shafts are obviously out of the question, I wonder what one of these Peugeot 4 cylinder engines (especially the diesels) would feel like if someone fully balanced them during a rebuild? That combined with new/better engine mounts and some sound deadening would be pretty alright I think.

LOTS of TLC... Everything from some minor rust repairs, to the interior being stripped out and cleaned to the shell, and either a different complete interior, or some series 2 mink coloured front leather seats to match.

Engine needs a complete tune up, reseal, EGR delete and an injection pump timing. Engine seemed nice and strong, and the car was decently quiet on the highway. Dynamat should do wonders for it to make it very quiet.

It'll be a complete restore cosmetically, and hopefully just a tune up is needed for it mechanically. Plans are to really go through it with new paint, redo the interior, and a really honkin stereo. It has the interior space and the payload to really have an exceptional sound system - so that's the plan.

Performance: I did a bunch of research and the injection pump should be good for 130 - 140 HP, and if I can find a good variable vane controller I'd like to fit a custom turbo the TDI guys use when hopping up their engines. That should really modern up the power deliver and make it a very nice driver.

I was seriously BLOWN away with how comfy it was on the highway - nothing I've been in can touch it. 6.8l/100km (42 mpg) was what it gave on the drive home, so my wife is all for me putting some decent cash into restoring it for the family summer car.

House renos put a hold on all garage activity, and finishing the garage is a must before I can resume the car projects.

Rabin