Update on my 89 505 5 Speed Turbo.

Update on my 89 505 5 Speed Turbo.

Since I got the car home and checked it out, I have done the following.

Did a compression test, all cylinders was between 120 – 125 PSI

Adjusted the valves, they where all very tight!

Installed new sparkplugs

Replaced Fan/Alternator, Power steering belts.

Changed Engine oil and filter, Transmission and differential oil w/ additive.

Install new Fuel filter.

Replaced driver side steering rack booth.

Replaced lower ball joint on passenger side.

New wiper blades.

Replaced front sway bar bushings.

Free up dragging parking brake

Replaced all tires with a set of tires I had laying around. (195/65/15) Tires on car was badly dry rotted.

Passed VA State inspection!!

Car starts right up and runs great, I can feel the turbo kick in at around 2500RPM

Car rides and handles GREAT !! the 5 speed tranny shifts very well. Clutch feels great.

I can feel a slight miss at around 3000RPM ? Could that be the timing??

Things to be done:

The lower speedometer cable is broken The cable housing is fine, I have trouble finding the female cable end that connects to the transducer, have contacted several vendors and none have even the complete cable in stock. Any suggestions will be welcome!

Next problem is the sunroof! When the switch is pressed, I can hear the motor in the trunk run, but no movement at the sunroof, Any suggestions? Besides not using it! To bad Peugeot could not use the same sunroof drive as on the 604’s. on all the 604’s I have owned over the Years, I have newer had one with malfunctioned Sunroof.

I plan on replacing the coolant after a good flushing.

Well enough ranting at this time!!

Steffen

Richmond, VA

84 604GTD

86 505 5 Speed Turbo Diesel Wagon, My daily driver!!

89 505 5 Speed Turbo

steffan,

welcome! didn't get a chance to chime in last week. i also recently got a 505, but unlike you i am a first-time owner. when i was shopping for a car i assumed i'd have to fix the sunroof so i researched this topic, ended up with a GL (no sunroof!). here's what i know about the sunroof problem, sure others can chime in with additional info:

sunroof is a common problem on these cars. it's the cable typically -- not actually the cable but the sheathing on the cable busting loose from fix points on one or both ends. most people either replace the cable assembly (currently about $400-$500 IIRC) or apply some fixes that have been developed to re-afix the sheathing at one or both ends. motor in trunk almost never goes bad.

the problem with replacing the cable, though, is 1) they're rare and thus expensive, and 2) they are all NOS so the likelihood of them breaking in the not too distant future is better than it used to be...this makes spending the money for a replacement cable even more painful. i have seen posts on this forum and elsewhere mentioning fabricating a replacement cable, but to my knowledge no one has done a write-up documenting that this was accomplished.

the sunroof cables on these cars started breaking in the 80's...peugeot issued a service bulletin to the dealers and created a "kit" to fix the breakage on the trunk side...you can see it here and here. that second link (to the excellent dutch peugeot forum "le lion d'or") also illustrates a fix on the sunroof side, sort of a bell-shaped piece of metal that fixes the cable sheathing to the roof. if you search on peugeot-l, you can see mention of an alternate fix for this side of the cable that somebody developed. the pics on peugeot-l are gone, but i got them from a guy who saved them. they're pretty self-explanatory:

505Sunroof2.jpg

505sunroof.jpg

505SUN2.jpg

505SUN4.jpg

505SUN5.jpg

of course, you have to rip down your headliner (at least partially) to apply the fix on the sunroof side...

subsequent edit -- also, most people take the opportunity to lubricate the cable when they are applying these fixes.

the dutch guys are pretty organized, they have kits that they sell to their club members (only). as far as i know, nobody makes a fix kit that anybody can buy, but the good news is that it doesn't look too hard to fabricate on one's own.

andre

Nice bit of research of the sunroof fixes there, Andre! I never knew about the Dutch site. Although I think the Peugeot Service Bulletin would work fine, I think the wood block fix is even better. Of course, the idea could be executed a little cleaner, but very nice idea.

Steffen, looks like you'll do great by that car. Already taking care of a multitude of deferred maintenance items. And some of the more difficult ones. Good on ya!

the fix i show pictures for in the above post is sometimes referred to as the "steve leung wooden clamshell method." those pictures were sent to me by peugeot-l member who goes by username con. the "proper" method looks like this:

IMG_1056.jpg

it looks clean, but it lacks the sledgehammer, "one and done" appeal of the wooden clamshell. B) i'm thinking that the metal bell must have a just-wide-enough slot running the length of the non-visible side so you don't have to fish the entire cable through the hole at the top of the bell.

not sure if the peugeot fix kit contained both the t-shaped strap for the motor side and the metal bell for the roof side, haven't been able to confirm this, or if the bell is a dutch invention. most people seem to have a problem with just the motor side, so most of the references i've seen are to the t-bar fix. i've also read about people gluing the plastic parts on the roof side (jb weld?)...not sure how well that holds up. the peugeot kits are, of course, nla in the us. not sure if the kits the dutch have are oem or reproductions....

the dutch forum is indeed the bomb, everyone there is very nice and helpful. brownie, a sometimes-visitor to this forum, is a regular contributor there.

andre

• 2 weeks later...

hey steffen,

thanks again on your great writeup on your sunroof repair (it's here for those of you who haven't yet seen it). one question -- it wasn't clear to me if you reused your original sunroof cable or if you replaced the cable along with your cable liner...

andre

I did Use the Org. Sunroof cable.The motor Drive teeth grapped the cable just fine, no slippage at all.

Steffen

The hose clamp and wire tying should actually work. However, in place of the unknown wire, you'd be better off using Safety Wire and a pair of Safety Wire Pliers. Safety Wire is stainless so corrosion won't ever be an issue and it is made to holding tension. Comes in various sizes as well.

Cheap safety wire pliers can be bought a Harbor Freight and they'd do the job for this task. They may have safety wire as well. It last forever, I've been racing and using it since 1986 and I'm only on my 2nd can of the stuff! :)

Good fix, I saved it for when I tackle this problem in my 505.