ABS BRAKE ROTORS IN AMERICA

Guest EUROTRASH

It has been a long time - welcome back!

And yes - significant info now. Starts here:

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1357

and confirmed here:

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1614

Personally I think it's worth it to have the Pug hubs machined to accept the 944 rotors - that way it's a one time cost to machine, and then the 944 rotors fit forever after.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

Thanks Bean.. that is REALLY good news!! I'm running new Peugeot rotors now but if I could start adapting the 944's it would be amazing, peace of mind at last.

Is it the rotors that need to be worked on or the hub itself? Or both? I agree we need specifics, I have no clue otherwise. I wonder if they would be willing to do the machining for me, since they've done it once and already know the specifics. I'd be more than willing to pay for the rotors, labor and shipping. I'm sure many others ABS owners would be willing too.

It should all be done on the hub if possible so that it's a one time machining cost. The 944 rotors should just bolt on like OEM and you're good to go.

I'll be modding my extra set of ABS hubs for my big brake upgrade, and once those are on I would be able to get the ones on the car machined up and then offer a core trade for anyone needing some hubs machined.

I just want to have another set with my car in case I ever want to go back to stock with the car. Finding someone to do the machining is key, and if they have to do you're own hubs then you have a fair bit of down time. If we had a set of core hubs that were done - they could be shipped out, repair done quickly - then the core's sent back.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

It should all be done on the hub if possible so that it's a one time machining cost. The 944 rotors should just bolt on like OEM and you're good to go.

I'll be modding my extra set of ABS hubs for my big brake upgrade, and once those are on I would be able to get the ones on the car machined up and then offer a core trade for anyone needing some hubs machined.

I just want to have another set with my car in case I ever want to go back to stock with the car. Finding someone to do the machining is key, and if they have to do you're own hubs then you have a fair bit of down time. If we had a set of core hubs that were done - they could be shipped out, repair done quickly - then the core's sent back.

Rabin

Right, a "matrix" core, let me know what you come up with, thanks again Bean.. amazing news.

By the way, my car will be fully restored in the next few months, I've already started the final adjustments before paint. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

I recently got a Nikon D3000, you're gonna see tons of pictures. I tried to create a new member album under "Images & Videos" but I couldn't figure out how, I tried Logging in but it wouldn't take my password.

Bean,

Is this application good for my car 86 non ABS rotors or just pugs with ABS?

This is just for ABS cars since the rotor is NLA - the regular non ABS rotors are still available so it's not really an issue for your car.

Non ABS is 273mm, ABS is 283mm - same caliper, so only a slight advantage with the ABS cars.

Rabin

Is it the rotors that need to be worked on or the hub itself? Or both? I agree we need specifics, I have no clue otherwise. I wonder if they would be willing to do the machining for me, since they've done it once and already know the specifics. I'd be more than willing to pay for the rotors, labor and shipping. I'm sure many others ABS owners would be willing too.

I didn't do the actual work but it's my understanding that it was only the rotors and not the hubs that were machined for our race car. However we decided to stick with the Peugeot rotors for this weekend's race as we had other problems (trying to find someone who can properly rebuild a 505 alternator) that prevented us from getting track testing of the 944 setup. Once this race is over and we get some track testing in I believe we might look at selling complete kits (rotors, caliper spacers and new nuts) but that's all speculation at this point until we get the track testing in. Once that happens I'll be sure to let everyone know!

If you guys do some of the wheel adapters as well - that'd be awesome and I'm sure there would be more than a few guys wanting a set.

Great to hear about the possibility of the rotors as well. I should clarify that it's just my opinion about getting the hubs machined to fit the Porsche rotors instead of the rotors machined to fit the hub. Makes sense to me - but there may be aspects of the machining process that don't make that practical.

Good luck this weekend too!

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

I didn't do the actual work but it's my understanding that it was only the rotors and not the hubs that were machined for our race car. However we decided to stick with the Peugeot rotors for this weekend's race as we had other problems (trying to find someone who can properly rebuild a 505 alternator) that prevented us from getting track testing of the 944 setup. Once this race is over and we get some track testing in I believe we might look at selling complete kits (rotors, caliper spacers and new nuts) but that's all speculation at this point until we get the track testing in. Once that happens I'll be sure to let everyone know!

I would much rather acquire a kit already adapted to the hub, it makes more sense to me. The fact that it will be tested during the race is just perfect.. what better way to find out if it really works?

I hope you make this happen.. if it works I would buy two kits. Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

I would much rather acquire a kit already adapted to the hub, it makes more sense to me. The fact that it will be tested during the race is just perfect.. what better way to find out if it really works?

We went back to Peugeot rotors for the last race because of som minor machining issues with the 944 rotors there just wasn't time to resolve. Because there was so little time between races we've put off testing the brake rotor solution because Sean's been working too hard recently (his shop makes parts for Boeing) but hope to get it on track after the next race in May. Sean did do a some figuring on the wheel adaptors and says that he would need to do 20 sets to make them for a price that people could afford.

I'd be interested in the wheel adapters for my NASA 505 T project.

I found some cool caliper adapters that fit early 944's (83-85 1/2) and the 505. This allows use of a Lexus LS430 4 pot caliper! As soon as they arrive (this week I hope) I'll take photos and post for all to see.

Please send more info on the adapters to [email protected]

Bryan

I'd be in for a set of adapters as well... (Maybe 2 sets depending on price)

Curious if this would be for the 4x100 pattern or ??? I'm guessing so - just wanted to make sure.

Rabin