Valve Cover Gasket N9TE

Cary

Have you tried Jurgen on Peugeot-L in Germany? I believe the Matra Murena uses the same gasket and that might be the only source now.

I've made my own once and it was a biotch - but it's doable. Might be worth a shot to see if Cometic is willing to do some up if they can get a pattern - but I've never asked.

Doozer - that VC is awesome, but crazy at that price. (After exchange to CDN funds and shipping it'd be close to $1000!) I'd have to win the lottery before I did something like that... :)

Rabin

Interesting, thank you for the link. I looked at the website and they have nothing listed, I even tried to email them and I wouldn't go through. What a pain in the neck. I guess I will just have to ring them on monday.

Thanks

Cheers

I bought three @ www.matramagic.co.uk. Inexpensive ($20) and a bit better than stock. But still cork.

• 3 months later...

I just sourced out a local supplier for silicone gasket sheeting. It's pricy at $20/sq ft for 1/8" and $40/ sq ft for 1/4" - but I figure 1/8" should work well enough, and it should be fairly easy to hand cut to test if it works OK.

If there's a need - the same company can take an autocad drawing and C&C cut the gasket to spec - but that only becomes worthwhile if there's a group buy.

I figure hand cutting with some care and I should have a sweet re-usable gasket that doesn't need any sealers.

Can't beat two gaskets for $40 though! (I have one Felpro cork one in case my experiment fails)

Rabin

I can't stand cork gaskets - so I'll be much happier with silicone ones even if I have to make them myself.

Occured to me that I can hopefully get a pan gasket out of the sheet as well if it can fit inside the VC pattern.

Rabin

I tried making a VC gasket with the sheets of cork material you buy at auto parts stores. Pretty much a failure. It's harder than hell to cut that stuff by hand with any degree of accuracy. I suppose it's possible. Ideally a die and press, but that's getting into real money.

I hate cork gaskets too, but they will work fine for such an application. My big leaker was fixed with a Curty cork one. I used some RTV sealant to affix it to the cover and let it dry, then used some on the head and torqued it down (no too much).

Silicone ones would be nice. I'm in for at least one if they come to pass.

I talked with their sales dude, and drawing up the gasket in ACAD would save ~$160. Still charged $20/sq ft for the 1/8" sheet silicone, and the cost per gasket for cutting comes down with multiples. At a minimum he said I'd need to do at least 10 to make it worth while for a slight discount.

I figure silicone will be WAY easier than cork to cut (been there - done that), and if I can do a nice job hand cutting it, that just might be sufficient for the numbers we need.

Rabin

I talked with their sales dude, and drawing up the gasket in ACAD would save ~$160. Still charged $20/sq ft for the 1/8" sheet silicone, and the cost per gasket for cutting comes down with multiples. At a minimum he said I'd need to do at least 10 to make it worth while for a slight discount.

I figure silicone will be WAY easier than cork to cut (been there - done that), and if I can do a nice job hand cutting it, that just might be sufficient for the numbers we need.

Rabin

I'm in for one if you decide to do it.