Black 89' 505 Turbo

Bean

IMG_5187.jpg

I just took the spare set of rims to my buddy to get straightened (two were bent), and now I'm thinking I should get them repainted as well.

They're just the winter set of tires, but the silver factory finish doesn't quite go with the car in my mind.

So far I'm leaning towards gloss black with machined lip, or flat black with machined lips - but might also do anthracite like the Volvo. (with or without machined lips - not sure)

Any ideas?

Rabin

I was thinking red lip as well - but then it needs something else to tie the red in... Like changing the faded chrome strip to red like the old GTi's...

It's not a GTi though - so wanted to keep it nice and classy. I figured I could re-tape the chrome trim and then tie that into the black with machined wheel lips.

Course - maybe it'd look better with just new silver paint to really make the rims pop. My buddy was going suggest a machined face finish - bit the lug covers wouldn't suit.

Rabin

I agree VM - I don't want it to be a "tuner" style - I'd like to keep true to the car and just do very subtle modifications to make it look a wee bit more modern and polished.

Rabin

The new flat spoke alloys with winter tires is what I have for it. I was thinking of running the older style 15" wheel refinished for summer tires (has some nicer options for refinishing), but I don't want to mod the rims or grind the calipers for them to fit.

Rabin

Oh...

In that case, I think silver looks the best on those. Agreed with Koll, Peugeot really had their game perfected when they built 505's.

Personally, I always loved the look of the early turbo/sti rims.

here are a few 89's that I like the look of...with the early rims.

0726.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/1073531/sn/485530489/name/n_a

when I someday get an 89', it will no doubt have the early rims.

I do prefer the early style mags...

I think for now I'll just clean the stock flat spoke rims up with a quick sand and spray bomb to get them decent enough for winter duty.

Come summer I'll look at properly refinishing some older style ones for the summer rubber - see if that does the trick. Hopefully little to no mods are needed to the wheels or the calipers for them to fit like I've heard.

Rabin

I think the calipers are pretty much identical - some "abs" ones off an 88' GLX are on my 76' 504 and look identical to the 86' turbo ones.

I think the culprit is the 283mm disk VS the 273mm disk and the associated mounting of the caliper farther out.

From what I've read - slight caliper grinding is all that's needed. (Or of the wheel if it's on the wheel lathe anyway.)

I'll need to check it out first though - I don't like the idea of doing either unless it's oh so slight.

Rabin

Hubs are different - but both wheels should have the same bolt pattern and offset - so the only factor is brake caliper to wheel clearance.

There's 215-60-15 yoko's on the 89 and there was tire rub on the struts when driven hard. August posted pics of how close it was too - so pretty sure 225's on the front won't happen unless you run spacers.

I've run 225's on the back with no issues at all though.

Rabin

For the record - the old wheels aren't going to work on the front of the 89 - too much interference with the caliper.

I read that they'll work once the pads are more than half worn (these ones are almost new) - but not really an ideal solution. I put the old style 15's on the back and they do suit the car much nicer than the flat spoke style.

Thankfully I have two sets of wheels for the 89 and can do summer and winter rubber no problem. :) Second set is getting straightened and will likely just get cleaned up before the winter rubber goes on. I thought about painting them up, but will just keep it stock till something just seems right. Heck - I also have a set of 15" steelies that could do winter duty as well.

Rabin