505 ABS 60-0 specs

august

The first place that I checked was the 505 showroom brochure that I got from Mike via ebay- the one with auggy's avatar. It did say 7.9 sec 0-60. That might be government. Did pugnut ever post any numbers?

Nope, can't find it. It sure doesn't sound like a fun test.

-Bill

• 2 weeks later...

A Canadian publication I once saw at a nearby public library had 60-0 measured in 129 feet (or 126, I dont remember for sure) for an '89 505 Turbo 5 speed. I don't recall ever seeing data from other sources besides Peugeot themselves. An owner's manual supplement leaflet that came with each car stated the 60-0 distance as 143 feet. Given that Peugeot has often demonstrated how it likes to publish conservative (with a lower-case "c") numbers, I'd believe 129 feet, and even 126 for that matter.

This same Canadian book listed the 60-0 time as 2.9x seconds. The author seemed rather impressed with the stopping ability of the car, and I'm sure anyone here with an ABS Turbo will concur... The car can suck at everything else, but it does stop exceptionally well.

Some of the other data in the book was a bit off. For example, he listed the observed top speed as 121 MPH, blaming poor aerodynamics. He listed the '89 Turbo sedan as being something like 0.38 or 0.39, which was a few clicks more than the GIANT bumper version the year before. That body kit, while inducing drag, does seem to do quite a bit for high speed stability though.

Hmm

I just got back from Europe 16 hours ago. Went to Sochaux for the museum (a disappointment) and for old parts (closed, a double disappointment).

I'll see what I can find and let you know. Saw a 505 Dangel on the road in Sochaux BTW, mint (too fast for me, no photos).

The 505 does have exceptional braking! Here are some figures i've got together:

Ferrari Enzo: 60-0 = 109ft

BMW M3: 60-0 = 113ft

2006 Corvette: 60-0 = 115ft

Peugeot 505: 60-0 = 126ft

Mclaren F1: 60-0 = 127ft

Acura NSX: 60-0 = 128ft

It's honestly hard to believe. Someone should do some checks so we have some real world figures.

I'll tell you one thing for sure--the cars with ABS stop a lot better than the others. On the same note, the cars with vented rotors stop a crapload better than the ones without.

Don't get me wrong, the non-vented 505s have very competent brakes, but I don't think they can compare to the vented variety, and certainly not the ABS versions.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever do any braking-tests?

I actually don't think that 129ft is far away from the thruth. (that said without even driving one :huh: )

I've read the number 179ft for 70-0.

I did some math on that number, and it gave the acceleration -0.91G.

I made the simplification that the acceleration is the same for 60-0, and worked out the distance 132ft.