Getting ready to race #45 for the first time

nick@nite

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to add weight at the back like that I would add it at the rear seat area, inside the wheelbase.

Weight of the rear bumper there will have more of a pendulum effect meaning that if the car slides wide - the weight that far out will have a tendency to make it slide farther out. Adding weight over the rear tires will give you the same feel and traction - but be easier to control. Any chance you can get it on some scales? Personally I'd think it would be better to figure out how to dial in the weight bias while trying to remove weight. Any weight you add reduces your given power to weight ratio - so if you can rebalance the car with weight removal all the better.

And yes - going off will be bad, hitting something will be VERY bad.

Rabin

Anyone else notice how when cars in our community get hit badly, and would be viewed as being "totaled", we still fix em? :D

well, "totaled" is more of an economic term than a technical description -- the cost to fix the car exceeds its value. since the insurance companies assign our cars values approximating that of a mcdonald's happy meal, it's not too hard to total them... <_<

andré

I think it's awesome that there are a few well known cars as well as owners stepping up and really putting their money where there hearts are and restoring cars that simply don't have the book value that most people need to justify doing work on a car.

These cars really just become so sentimental that it really doesn't become and issue of money, but more about just fixing and restoring cars that we really truly enjoy working on and driving.

Seeing the effort that Nick and his Dad are putting into keeping a 505 in active racing is just beyond cool IMHO. Add in all the people restoring their cars and we're seeing a genuine resurgence of the marque in the US. Definitely feels like we're starting to turn that corner from Peugeot's being beater cars, to actually being appealing to own and restore.

Rabin

This is probably the most amazing thread I have ever seen in the history of forums. I want to be like Nick and his dad. To make racers out of 505s. just wow... thanks for all the posts, the whole thread is a treasure chest of racing information and stories. I love it! Thanks for the awesome thread!

• 4 months later...

Starting to get the ball rolling on this. Hooked up the steering column. We're measuring the chassis, we think it's still a half inch off, I think we're going to have him do another quick pull.... But it's totally can be compansated and plated where we want it... Front crossmember looks bent, We're closing out our storage unit. So I have another member ready to bolt on. My father is renting another small shop for our recon, where we're storing #45. All of our 505 spare parts will be consolidated and it's right next door. My father is maybe sticking in 2 more lifts at the shop. But it's getting quoted @ 75K.... Anyway my father bought a used 10K lift. if plans don't go with the shop, more of a benefit for the recon shop to work on our race cars with a lift....
Talked with Howe about doing an exact direct replacement for an auto N9T, for my father's needing 2 at the moment... But holding on them, they quoted $480. Most likely go with the Griffin that George went with for $275. Also taking Audi A6's measurements, very similar...
Ordered a Howe rad for #45 3422AA from Summit.
Got a Group buy in deal on a new G-force 5 Point harness with the other fellow hillclimbers.
Ordered 2 new Diamond racing steelies 15X8 for the rear. Stock 4X140 pattern
Will be going over to Kalescustom soon and get the Dani engine and accessories and bringing it back. Put the motor in and then have Joey finish it with a FMIC and plumbing, then VEMS with J. Russell.
Looking to see what extra decals I have left for the hood and right rear. Before we moved I stored them on a parts rack which it was too close to a part of a leak in the roof during the winter time, ice built up and leaks horribly @ the old shop...
My father went over to VTSports Car and looked at a few Subie go fast parts... He walked out with 2 $1700 Recaro's for $500. One is already in his STI and the other one is going in #25.
VTSports Car Has an engine flow bench and now a 4wd dyno now.... They're cars are topping out a 750K per chassis! :blink: Which is probably why there will not be a MT. Washington Climb to the Clouds again this year... :(
0304131837_zpsc92fa317.jpg

Awesome to hear #25 is getting back on the radar! Sweet deal on those seats too. Beyond excited to see what your engine can put down with modern FI and boost control. The time delay has actually been way better for me cash wise, so keep me posted on costs to duplicate the set up you do for it. :)

Curious though - does Diamond do the steelies in the 4x140 or are you getting 6x140 and drilling two holes yourself? If they do the custom pattern I'll have to check them out for sure - I've been thinking have having a set of my 15" steelies widened for the 504... :)

Rabin

They do any pattern. 4X140 with 5" back space, we would've liked 5.5" back space because usually need to grind the rear caliper bracket a little to make fit. But Diamond can only do 5" backspace. But I have those spacers made now too. If you call them. The PO # is under AC Performance, we're the only ones that they had with these specs they told us yesterday.... They last made them for us in 2004, and had record. They'll be here in a month @ $100 per wheel

Rabin 6 bolt rims http://diamondracingwheels.com/index.php/racing-wheels/challenger-series
I ordered a 3rd wheel today, I was playing around with the spacers today they cleared the front strut barley by a hair. The rear I'm going to tinker with the strong French steel to make fit without rubbing. Old #45 was a pain to make those fit in the inner wells during suspension travel.
Bought an ARP 12X1.25 3"stud kit, so I can double up the wheel spacers on the front and have plenty of clearance.
Ordered a new Timing Chain from Miles @ WH
Ordered a new Chain tensioner from Madu
When the head was shaved, we also had to shave the upper timing cover, resulting in extra slack in the chain and and the tensioner was 75% worn
It's going to look pretty neat with all 4 corners with 15x8 black steelies ;)

Started moving out the parts out of the storage unit. My father said f it and had the lift put in and hooked up the power. Stripped and buzzed the lift arms. Oil primed them. Howe rad showed up, sending it to get tig'ed for the sleeving of the inlet and out.
0306131638_zps8993b472.jpg