Hello All....

New to the forum, new to Pugs, but quite familiar with wrenching. (I have a couple of EFI Toyotas)

I've recently acquire two Pugs.....an '89 505 and '91 405. I've learned the 405 Mi 16 engine is interference, but haven't been able to find such info on the 505, yet. I believe it has the ZN3J. I know for certain it's non-turbo V6 and is equipped with a timing chain. So, would someone mind telling me if this engine is an interference engine or not. I've had my run-in's with devastating consequences of the interference type and would like to avoid that again.

As well, hello. This site came highly recommended and you'll be seeing plenty of me. Aren't you glad I warned you?! :wacko:

Welcome!

Post up some pics of your cars!

89 505's are mighty rare.

So I'm told. The PO even has a spare front end she bought out of Mexico. Told me to never, ever sell it. If I'm ever in a wreck, it would be nearly impossible to find another.

I don't have pics, yet. I still haven't even gone to pick them up from her house. But, as soon I do and can, i will.

So, what about my questions, though? Can you offer some input about the motor?

And, thanks for replying. :wacko:

Sorry, my engine isn't the type you have- I have a 4 cylinder XN6.

As for that whole mexico - I'm not sure if they ever sold 505's in Mexico.

I highly doubt it.

Well, the car the front end was from may have been imported to Mexico. Regardless, the front end did come from there. I mean, the PO of my two pugs is not one to fabricate stories or confuse them.

Thanks for replying anyway. I'm sure I'll find out eventually about the V6. :wacko:

Well, the car the front end was from may have been imported to Mexico. Regardless, the front end did come from there. I mean, the PO of my two pugs is not one to fabricate stories or confuse them.

Thanks for replying anyway. I'm sure I'll find out eventually about the V6. :wacko:

Could have been New Mexico... hahaha!

Anyway, good luck with them both! I hope one of the more technical people here can give you some more information.

Could have been New Mexico... hahaha!

Anyway, good luck with them both! I hope one of the more technical people here can give you some more information.

Lol...nah, it's from Mexico. I've not asked her exactly how that came to be, but she's quite familiar with her caca, if you know what I mean. :)

Thanks for the luck, eh. I haven't had the time to go pick them up, yet. It will be two step process as she lives over an hour drive from me. Plus, I have to make a parking place for them and get some road work done. I live out in the sticks......hence two Toyota 4x4's = primary vehicles.

Anyway, both are going to need some body work....the 505 w/ a tad bit of rust and the 405 with some body damage/dents. As well, the 505 she's informed me will need some "starter modification/upgrade" that she already has the parts for. But, the vast majority of any work..eg. timing chain, belts, headlamps(505), and several other things she's already done.

So, where are those tech foks, anyway?:wacko: I can talk Toyotas all day long, but I don't have the first idea about these, yet. Can you say anxious? :D

Well, I'm completely embarrassed. All her emails said "mexico". But, when I asked her, she said,"Oops....typo. Meant New Mexico." So, my apologies. Did not mean to seem arrogant at all. She did say, however, Peugeots can be found in Mexico as they are popular with drug runners for some reason. She then proceeded to tell me a personal experience about it.

Welcome to the forum!

The V6 as far as I know is not an interference engine - and I've never heard or been warned about them so it's never occured to me to check. Since it's chain though - the likely hood of them letting go and is HIGHLY unlikely - as I've NEVER heard of a timing chain failure on one. I do have an engine manual at home and will see if it lists anything though and post it up.

As for your find - you're getting two of the nicest models Peugeot offered in North America in one shot - so jealous! Make sure to post pics and updates!

Rabin

Hey guys.....thanks a bunch for the input and warm comments.

Well, that will be nice if the 505 is non-intereference. One less thing to be concerned about.

Last Jan the TC in my '86 22re (Toyota 4cyl, for those maybe not familiar) let go and destroyed all 4 exhaust valves and 2 intake. Plus, there was atleast a cup full of shrapnel from the timing cover and guides in the oil pan and strainer. Had to completely rebuild. I knew the chain was reaching it's limit, but I was counting on not doing it until springtime figuring it would last until then. Nope. Poor judgement call on my part. I learned....as soon as you start hearing it rattle, park it and fix it.

And, the reason I figured I had time was because the original chain (before this last failure....when I first bought the 4rnr) was rattling and actually hitting the cover, but in this last case a piece of the guide actually broke off and jammed the crank gear causing the chain to skip throwing the valve/piston synchronization off. Didn't count on that. I now have steel backed guides so the guides won't break into pieces should I not have any warning signs. Usually do, though.

• 3 months later...

Hello again,

Picked the 505......"Uma".....a little while back. Have a couple of details to iron out on her. Hoping to have some pics up soon.

I've driven Uma. I did the pre-inspection for her. I'm sorry she had to let it go as she was so enthusiastic about the cars. At ome time, Peugeot owners were all Type B personalities, but as time is showing, it's the Type As that have the dogged determination to see them through the tough patches. Glad the car is in good hands.

• 3 months later...

I've driven Uma. I did the pre-inspection for her. I'm sorry she had to let it go as she was so enthusiastic about the cars. At ome time, Peugeot owners were all Type B personalities, but as time is showing, it's the Type As that have the dogged determination to see them through the tough patches. Glad the car is in good hands.

Wow.....hadn't been back here in a while. Thanks for the reply and the compliment.

I have both Uma and G (Bo's 405 Mi16) at home, now. I brought G home just over a month ago. She's going to need a new clutch (most likely), the new interior parts installed that Bo had gotten (dash and trimmings), and some paint resto. Oh, and the sunroof cable kit installed.

So far, Uma's been running good. A little issue had surfaced a couple of weeks ago while on a trip to Memphis, TN (from Winslow, AR.....my home)..........throwing a code 4 (and once a 6) and showing intermittent idle symptoms. But, I read where a fellow cleaned all the connections and that did the trick. I think the plug wires need replacing, too. Says Bougicord on them. Wondering if they are the originals after 141k +. Uma has some parts Bo got for her........like mudflaps (which I want to install) and rear spoiler and some body trim. The spoiler thing won't happen. It's a little to big for my liking. Looks odd, to me. Anyway, a little rust work on her, too.

Yeah, I'm probably somewhere between the A and B type personality. I like to keep 'em up and running and looking good, but the overly A tendencies are not my bag. IOW, I'm not going to get anal about them so they're immaculate. Just fix them both up and maintain them well. I'm really, really enjoying Uma. I'm in love with that car....lol. (Know the Queen song?:lol:) I'm sure G's going to be a blast, as well. And, Belinda......well, it was a hard decision for her, but she'd rather see them go to me than have them rot. I think she's even toying with the idea of getting another 505 (5spd, this time), but we'll see how that goes. She loves the 505's immensely.

Welcome to the forum!

The V6 as far as I know is not an interference engine - and I've never heard or been warned about them so it's never occured to me to check. Since it's chain though - the likely hood of them letting go and is HIGHLY unlikely - as I've NEVER heard of a timing chain failure on one. I do have an engine manual at home and will see if it lists anything though and post it up.

As for your find - you're getting two of the nicest models Peugeot offered in North America in one shot - so jealous! Make sure to post pics and updates!

Rabin

I don't like the single row timing chain. I spoke with Brian Holm about the chain he told me many of the V6s have passed 300K on the original chain. I was thinking of replacing mine with 120K, Brian told me those miles were nothing.