My new 505 TD project car

Hey all, i just picked up a 84' 505S Turbo Diesel 5spd

it has been sitting for about 10 years, though i know it has been moved in the years, but i dont know if it ever ran in those years.

the engine turns free and builds compression and everything is there, chassis is rust free but the body has some rust patches, the interior is all there, fabric and leather are in decent condition but the mold is terrible, a window was left busted for who knows how long so it has been rained and snowed in.

I wont start work for quite a little bit, im leaving for school in 3 weeks, when i get out ill move to wherever i get a good job and i will take it with me then.

in the mean time i am trying to find a storage place (not one i have to pay for), and i think i will pay one of my friends to clean all of the crap out of it and temporally treat the rust until it can be stripped and painted a few years down the road.

im only 18, ive worked on cars for a while now but never taken a project like this, i know it might turn into something very expensive, hopefully i can make it more of a time issue, i dont mind putting in hours like alot of people do, but money is something i dont like to waste

Cars003.jpg

Cars007.jpg

Cars002.jpg

here is my 1990 Subaru Legacy, it has over 300k miles and i love every minute of it

subaru022.jpg

Hey man (you should post your name too...)

Looks like quite the project, but once you get it cleaned up it shouldn't be too hard. Luckily with diesel you rarely ever have to worry about rusted fuel components like tanks and such since the diesel is so "oily". So the only real issue for sitting so long will be wheel bearings, and brake system components - neither of which are that hard to fix. I've had cars sit for 7-8 years and the wheel bearings were all fine - so you might even be safe there too.

Keep us posted on the progress - should be a sweet ride. Only thing odd is that the pic shows the quad round headlight set up that was on 505's up to 83'... So it's either a late 83' car or someone swapped the older headlight and grill set up.

BTW - I too have a 90' Legacy! It's a 4sp auto though which isn't the greatest, but the AWD is awesome for the winter. Put a LOT of money into mine to make it perfect mechanically - but it's pretty rough cosmetically. Handles awesome too with KYB GR2 struts and WRX springs all round... 370 000 km and it's still going strong though... B)

Rabin

thanks! my name is Jordan

yeah i didnt look at the year on the car, thats just what he told me so i suppose it is an earlier model. i have a lot to learn about these cars, ill probably stay mostly dormant on the forum, just reading other post and whatnot until i actaully get started on it

i got a question, i popped the intake pipe off the top of the air box and noticed it had some type of wire filter, whats that all about? never seen one like that before, the filter and piping was also saturated with diesel fuel

Bean, are you a member of Legacy Central? there is a ton of information and plenty of people on the forum

Yep - same username on Legacy Central as well... Posted there a lot when chasing issues on my car when I first got it, but now the car's been really reliable so haven't had the need to post there. Have my car up for sale though there's been no takers at $2K... I've got over $5K in parts into it though so I'll keep it as a winter car before selling it for less than $2K.

As for that oil bath filter - it's one of the best filter systems ever - so once you get it cleaned up and oiled properly it's really good. They actually flow air really well too - oddly enough.

Rabin

thanks peugoettogo, i probably will need some good help when i start on it

i think i might remember seeing your name a time or too now that i think about it. i wondered about how it flowed, because i was thinking about swapping it for a paper or foam airbox

• 3 years later...

Im back! When i have time atleast... The car has sat in my dads barn for a couple of years since i got it running, but atleast it been out of the sun and direct rain. I never really had the money or time to put it in before, but im no longer a student. I graduated an did mechanics for 2 years like i went to school for but i got kinda tired of that, an it didnt pay like i wanted, so now i work underground.

Now, ive gotten a new intrest in it again and hope to get it back to road worthyness eventually. First thing is the fuel filter canister! I beleive it is a Purflux C180, its an all aluminum canister with a bleed plug on the bottom. Problem is that the canister is stripped out so the plug doesnt thread up anymore. Im going to post a want add for it. My injectors are bubbling fuel up at the top of the head, so when i get time im going to take them to a shop to have them refinished.

Thats it for now really, the other work will have to wait a while for when i have more daylight. Im also looking at houses now, so that will greatly affect it as well. but if i can just get that canister i can run fuel out of the tank and not an orange juice jug sitting were a battery should be :lol: