N9T Adjustable Cam Gear

Trevor

What do you guys think?  I wonder how hard it would be to accomplish..  hmm.

I thought the same thing... :angry:

Best thing I came up with was using two gears, machine one of them as the center with a threaded hole on each spoke, and a machined flat area. The second one would need the machined flat on the back side and an elongated hole to match up with the hole. Not sure if you could use the guts from an off the shelf one as I've never seen a metal one.

It would have to be machined VERY nicely - but definitely possible.

Hard to put into words - but you should get my drift... :)

Yea i think we both have the same line of thought on this one. Hmm... I may snoop around work tomorrow and think about it a bit more. We have the right tools for the job, but i think it would be a difficult project to do right. As you said it would have to be done very well as a lopsided cam gear wouldn't be too optimal... haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what would be REALLY slick is to machine the upper timing cover manifold so you wouldn't have to take it off every time you'd want to adjust it.. being it isn't the quickest job in the world..

then again, a whole with a plate on the front of the manifold may cause trouble too though being the distributor gear is in _front_ of the damn cam gear.. hmmmmm

• 3 weeks later...

Some update on this one this 4 deg was not enough... exhaust valves were hitting pistons (more info on this new engine topic). I did remove adjusting and replace it with original gear and sifted one tooth in advance.

I needed 8 deg and one tooth is 10deg -> so now it is 2 deg in advance -> no problems ;)

V-M