Thinking about selling my car

norcal505

Well, the idea dwells me. I have so many good memories with the car that i grew up in, but sometimes it really frustrates me. It has numerous problems, and things that I want to do it that cost alot of money-even more than the car's value. I dont really know if I want to keep it, or sell it and buy a 505 turbo, or a Volvo 242 Turbo.

The question lingers....

Rob, now what would Peugeot ownership be without problems?

I have owned so many 505's that all of them had some weird quirk or two. Currently my 81 TD is the only one out of the three I currently have that everything is working properly, but in time something will give out.

Why not just keep your current 505 and start hunting for a turbo version? Come on, you don't really want to own another Volvo do you? Continue to be different, ok maybe a little bit odd to be driving a Peugeot in a land over crowded with rice rockets. To be really odd like myself, try a 2 cylinder Citroen on the highway, you get to see more of the shoulder of the road than you really want to!

Stick with the Lions, Jeff

Rob, now what would Peugeot ownership be without problems?

I have owned so many 505's that all of them had some weird quirk or two. Currently my 81 TD is the only one out of the three I currently have that everything is working properly, but in time something will give out.

Why not just keep your current 505 and start hunting for a turbo version? Come on, you don't really want to own another Volvo do you? Continue to be different, ok maybe a little bit odd to be driving a Peugeot in a land over crowded with rice rockets. To be really odd like myself, try a 2 cylinder Citroen on the highway, you get to see more of the shoulder of the road than you really want to!

Stick with the Lions, Jeff

its just that my car has so many problems its not really worth a care

-its a salvage title

-hast rust around the front and rear windsheilds

-hast body rust next to the front pass. side wiper so much that theres a hole

-im guessing that theres more rust where that came from

-it has numerous dents and the front windsheild is extreemly cracked (some high school rivals smashed up my car)

-the car is slow, and just costs too much to fix up the engine

-the interior is in sad shape- i was cheap, and found a crappy upholtsry shop that redid the rear seat and made it into a ugly crappy style, didnt do the original stiching, and it looks like a fake bland beige color.

-the front seats are both ripped, and i stupidly just gave the passenger seat to get resurfaced from the same jackass

no matter how much money ive put in to the car(recently getting new shocks, struts, etc) i just cant really take it anymore

i might sell it back to my dad-i dont know if he wants it and

ive gotten offers from random people who want to buy it.

the car is worth close to nothing, so no matter the price, it would be complete loss if/when i sell it.

i just really dont know anymore.

Hey Rob,

If you can sell the 505 for decent money then do so and get a minty 505 Turbo or V6 car and you'd be a MUCH happier guy with more money in your pocket.

If you want easy, and mainstream, less refined, and less money in your pocket - get the Volvo turbo.

Personally I enjoy marching to a different beat, which is why I love the Peugeot. That and a 505 Turbo is a FAR superior car out of the box than the Volvo's. Granted - the Volvo has a great aftermarket - but with some work, engenuity, and the same money investment and the 505 should still kill it.

I'd suggest the V6 5-sp though - they are a wicked fun, great power all over (but not as much as the turbo) but they FEEL faster since the power comes in low down... Find a decent minty one and you're laughing.

Rabin

Rabin, I remember my 89 V6 505, it was a hoot to drive even being an automatic. I agree that the V6-5spd. is a little more fun.

Rob,I think your chances to find a turbo or going to be a little harder to find than a V6 version. A friend of mine bought a one owner 87 5spd. STX model for a mere 1,500 in Rio Vista, Ca. and he's having a blast with it. If you can't get your money out of your STI right now, just drive it. I have more into my 86 505 gasser than its worth too, so I'm driving it as daily transportation to get a few dollars out it. My two TD's sit in jealousy, but I think they know the gasser won't be around as long as they will.

Jeff

Keep in mind any 20 + yr old car will act up, regardless of make.

When you own a old car you have two choices : get your hands dirty or whip out your checkbook.

Rust can be a real pain; Im suprised you have the rust issues you describe - when I was in California even the worst rusting cars known here were rock solid there. My old English Rover is from there and I couldnt believe how none of the bolts underneath were rusted.

If you want a speedy 505 without the hassle, Id advise getting a V6 & 5 speed; they dont have the dreaded headcracking/headgasket issues !

i guess i can go ahead and do what i was going to do over thanksgiving break-sand up all the rust spots, neutrializer, bondo, paint, primer, i mean overall, thats really where all the rust is. i just had the car on jack and checked it all underneath and i couldnt find really any rust.

the only places where they are next to the front and rear windsheild-still minimal surface rust..but that one hole is really bugging me.

i guess im gonna bondo that up real good and hope it works out.

otherwise, i have a few good leads/sources that ive narrowed out for a N9T engine, with mose harness/electrical needed.

a bunch of my friends and I work on cars-usually american and european, for instance I helped my buddy with his old bel air recently, and the swap turned out great.

just none of my friends know squat about peugeots.

were gonna try though

hopefully we wont screw up my car beyond hope. :lol:

I think I'm gonna keep it.

I've been in your situation before and worse. Here's what I'd do.

Sell the Volvo (you'll need the cash for a nice 505).

Keep your current 505 as a daily driver and hope it lives till you get real cash (good job). Then, treat it to what you want.

The Volvo sounds like a nice car, but they're pretty replaceable and they're not going anywhere. You'll be able to buy a nice Volvo of whatever vintage 20 years from now no problem. If you don't buy a 505 in the next few years, it'll be very hard.

If you go this route, buy the nicest 505 you can find. Believe it or not, it's cheaper this way.

Whatever you do, don't attempt a N9T swap in your current car in your current situation. It'll cost you so much in time and money. You're having a tough time bring a XN6 car together to your standards. I don't think many could pull it off. I couldn't. I have a good job a heated garage and a wife who'll let me do anyting (car related) I want and it's still a project that scares me.

There's a nice Peugeot out there that deserves a better owner than it currently has. You're that owner. Make it happen.

If you go this route, buy the nicest 505 you can find. Believe it or not, it's cheaper this way.

Whatever you do, don't attempt a N9T swap in your current car in your current situation. It'll cost you so much in time and money. You're having a tough time bring a XN6 car together to your standards. I don't think many could pull it off. I couldn't. I have a good job a heated garage and a wife who'll let me do anyting (car related) I want and it's still a project that scares me.

Im with this; I wouldnt even consider a N9T swap; it would be easier and cheaper to find a nice one. Old 505s in this day and age dont fetch much money. Which is kinda good, meaning theres still some out there for dirt cheap begging to be rescued and given good homes.

I've been in your situation before and worse. Here's what I'd do.

Sell the Volvo (you'll need the cash for a nice 505).

Keep your current 505 as a daily driver and hope it lives till you get real cash (good job). Then, treat it to what you want.

The Volvo sounds like a nice car, but they're pretty replaceable and they're not going anywhere. You'll be able to buy a nice Volvo of whatever vintage 20 years from now no problem. If you don't buy a 505 in the next few years, it'll be very hard.

There's a nice Peugeot out there that deserves a better owner than it currently has. You're that owner. Make it happen.

thanks koll.

i think I will continue to look for that one 505 turbo that i want, which i have been for a while (to keep my options open) :D I think if i find a 505turbo i want, and it matches what i want-and if the price is reasonable, id definately make an offer on it. i dont know which i want though-either the 85 505 N9T (b/c of its interior), or a N9TE for is intercooler, or the 89 N9TEA, for its power, electronic boost controller, and of course, the body kit :D .

The volvo on the other hand, is probably my second favorite car, aside to the peugeot 505.

I am deep into the crowd, and know alot about them, and do almost all the work myself, on my own car. the community of other volvo performance enthusiasts is so big, that ANY question you have about your car, they can answer. I'm using my 92 245 as a d.d, but i am also gathering, and have some parts for my "+T converison". Another thing about old RWD volvos: it is easy to work with the engine. The most common big engine upgrade in the 200/700/900's is the +T, Turbocharging the engine-usually using parts that you find off other 200's, for me- 740turbo's/900 turbo's, because my car has the B230FT.

i know its a VERY small crowd of these cars that go for sale these days, not that there are many of even :lol: , but im always looking. I'm always on craigslist searching for peugeots.

i havent seen many 89's though. the last one i saw was a 89 505 V6 automatic from D.C, and Dayrl wilson's beautiful blue turbo-god i mean it, if i had the cash back then, and the space, i totally would had made an offer.

oh, but life goes on, im still lookin, and still maintaining my own 505.

my dad is willing to buy the car back from me

he gave me a good offer

I'm now starting to consider it, I'm not sure yet...

I'm probably gonna start looking for a decent 5spd 505 turbo.

Any suggestions?

lol, and to answer your question about rust Pugsley, my 505 is parked 20 feet from the san francsico bay.

my house is right along the coastline

my dad is willing to buy the car back from me

he gave me a good offer

I'm now starting to consider it, I'm not sure yet...

I'm probably gonna start looking for a decent 5spd 505 turbo.

Any suggestions?

lol, and to answer your question about rust Pugsley, my 505 is parked 20 feet from the san francsico bay.

my house is right along the coastline

I was closer to LA; so I cant comment on Frisco. I can tell you this story is typical of old vehicles here unless they are well looked after: cousin drove a 70s Ford truck for years ; rust got to it and eventually the cab sank in on the cab mounts and he couldnt move the column shifter. The bed was about to fall off , the sides looked like they were about to fall off when loaded.

I saw a similar F150 in LA for sale about that time . Rock solid even underneath. I saw many oldies out there that I havent seen in years around here.

I think the 5 speed turbo would be ideal; the auto really seems to hurt it out of the hole.

yeah, my dad didnt really take the best care of the car. its been parked outdoors since 1997 :o

our family owned various cars throughout the years that made the 505 get 2nd class treatment

- Volvo 744 Turbo

- Volvo 850 Turbo

- Datsun 280z -this was CLEAN and on superlites

- Toyota Camry V6 All-trac Sedan

- Volvo 245 (haha, its mine now!)

- Volvo S60 2.5t

-also breifly my dad drove a dark blue 86 505 turbo THAT I WISH I HAD INSTEAD OF MINE!!! it was sold to my relatives near Memphis before I was born :)

my dad still has a picture of it, ill see if i can find it, and scan it.

Z cars in this part of the country were rusting on the showroom floor. Shame, they are neat cars.

In the town I live Ive seen a Volvo 164 (the 6 cylinder) with CA plates on it; today it had a For Sale sign on it. Wife keeps asking what I want for Christmas.

Get it.

you do not know how damn rare those cars are.

get it, and ask questions later...the bricks are sick.