DIY oil cooled pistons

Guest adegnes

http://www.powerpage.dk/tuning_teori_5motoroggearkasse.aspx

(sorry it's in danish :blink: I can translate it to english if someone is interested in giving it a try)

scroll down the page and look at the diy oil cooled piston setup...

maybe this is something for a high hp n9t...

Is this a tested method? Although ambitious, it looks like it's just dumping oil upwards. The factory "squirters" I know do just that. They squirt a small amount of oil at the bottom of the piston at certain times. They certainly don't bathe the piston in oil. I wonder is there would be any negative consequences (mechanical, of course) to dumping a lot at the pistons at high rpms?

If people have done the same thing before and it works great, then good deal. I've just never seen such a setup before.

Well the ones fitted on standard engines usually squirt oil all the time, but they are fitted with a valve that opens above a certain oilpressure so it does´nt squirt during cranking and/or on idle (sometimes you get quite low pressure, when the engines really warm, on idle.).

You need it the most on max torque rpm(when the combustion temp is high, and the BMEP is the highest), and that is usually quite high rpm´s.

I cant see any disadvantages with the setup if its done right(but you must check the entire oilsystem so that it is ok, that there is enough oilpressure in the engine to handle it!), we are not talking about very large amounts of oil here, so a mechanical problem is not likely to occur. I know people who have done it on Porsche engines with great results, so it works.

But if its necessary? Hmmm, in most cases; No.

But when you push your engine to the the limit; Yes, it does the trick.

//Peder

I'm not sure about this system as it's detailed...

I think you'd have better results with getting the pistons coated with the new coatings being offered. Ceramic for the crown, and a low friction coating for the skirts.

There's some VERY good evidence of lower temp transfer to the engine with these coatings in place, as well as lowering rotating friction.

I spoke to one guy that was a little worried as he did the coatings because he was going to run NOS at the track, but during daily driving the car would barely warm up! At the track running 250 HP shot of NOS - car temps were normal...

Pretty neat stuff - but they don't like to coat used parts - only new...

Rabin

• 1 month later...

This type of piston cooling is quite common on truck engines... and should work well, on any engine if done properly.

I wouldn't try making my own though, as messing with the lubrication system of a high performance engine (witch it would have to be to merit such a modification) isn't for the faint hearted.

Too many things to go wrong to be a DIY project if you ask me