Sodium cooled Exhaust valves

krede

..Sodium... Or what ever they use for it...

Can such valves still be obtained?... I mean from other sources then "politechnic"in France with whom I have absolutely no confidence that i will ever get anything I order. :D

they used a similar head in the matra right? if so, i wonder if the valves are the same. V-M?

..Sodium... Or what ever they use for it...

Can such valves still be obtained?... I mean from other sources then "politechnic"in France with whom I have absolutely no confidence that i will ever get anything I order. :D

Just curious. Why do you say that? Do they have a reputation I'm not aware of?

Koll

(I was thinking of buying one of their crate engines someday)

they used a similar head in the matra right? if so, i wonder if the valves are the same. V-M?

They are not the same. Sodium filled (for better cooling) version of the exhaust valves were only used in the turbo-charged N9T series of engines. And so they are only available from Peugeot (if anymore) or Politecnic. Of course, you could try to have them custom made but it would probably be quite expensive?

You can order custom made steel or titanium valves from Del West:

http://www.delwestusa.com/

At least they can produce valves with hollow stems, so maybe they can also fill them with sodium, natrium or whatever are used in modern valves.

Just curious. Why do you say that? Do they have a reputation I'm not aware of?

At least they didn't reply to any of my e-mails when I tried to ask the availability and prices of some engine parts before making an order. :-( That was about 2-3 years ago.

"At least they didn't reply to any of my e-mails when I tried to ask the availability and prices of some engine parts before making an order. :-( That was about 2-3 years ago."

That is the reputation I am referring to... No One I know have been able to make contact with them...

• 1 year later...

I'd like to know too! I thought all the N9T's got the sodium filled exhaust valves.

I've heard of lots of guys buying an old set of NASCAR titanium valves and then having them machined to suit whatever engine. Whole sets can be had for cheap, you just need a good machinist to turn them into something usable.

I'm thinking of doing the latter at some point to see if it'd work. I've got a great machinist contact which is half the battle.

Rabin

It seems like most exhaust valves were sodium filled, I've cut up two valves from different heads that were marked 84 and 86, and they were both sodium filled.

Krede,

I can sell you a set if you need sodium filled valves and can settle with used ones.

It seems like most exhaust valves were sodium filled, I've cut up two valves from different heads that were marked 84 and 86, and they were both sodium filled.

Krede,

I can sell you a set if you need sodium filled valves and can settle with used ones.

Hi Johnny.. thanks for the offer.

The valves I have now seems to be in good condition, so I'll stick with them... they should be able to cope with what I have planned B)