Rebuild: 505turbo "racecar"

Guest adegnes

Some comments...

Intake is not limitter untill 400-450hp, surely with custom intake which have 4 separate flaps could have bit better flow in high revs but n9t is not build for high revs (heavy parts).

- Block it self is dam thik and solid it can take surely as much hp as u can get but main axcel and originel rods and piston's are way too heavy for high rev. Eaven when balanced parts, mass is still too much.

I hope I'll get my building spirit back some day (not done anything in over year).

I have ready made MS waiting. OEM system with over 1bar seem's to be bit difficult to adjust... too many compromizes -> lack of hp but torgue is ok eaven with OEM system.

Is distributor rotating? If yes, check at there is spark in every wires.

V-M

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest adegnes

Some comments...

Intake is not limitter untill 400-450hp, surely with custom intake which have 4 separate flaps could have bit better flow in high revs but n9t is not build for high revs (heavy parts).

- Block it self is dam thik and solid it can take surely as much hp as u can get but main axcel and originel rods and piston's are way too heavy for high rev. Eaven when balanced parts, mass is still too much.

I hope I'll get my building spirit back some day (not done anything in over year).

I have ready made MS waiting. OEM system with over 1bar seem's to be bit difficult to adjust... too many compromizes -> lack of hp but torgue is ok eaven with OEM system.

Is distributor rotating? If yes, check at there is spark in every wires.

V-M

The custom intake is something I've allways wanted to do, even if theres no real benefit, I'll try making one just for fun.

I'll guess I'll have to source out some new lighter and stronger internals in the future then, any suggestions that'll fit with minimum hassel? I could lighten the flywheel for a start.

paulschuh002.jpg

It'd be cool to do up an intake like this one on the Volvo... Course - it'd be nice to see this kind of effort go into an N9TE... B)

My road is long - but something like this is my goal if I stay with the N9TE and don't go with a Turbo V6 option...

Rabin

Guest adegnes

that's one crazy looking manifold!

vm: I'm going to reuse the OEM throttel body on the custom manifold, what I ment with 360deg tracts was to make the runners conical inside the plenum. I boght a compression tester yesterday, and will check the engine today... I'm crossing my fingers! If compression is ok, I'll remove the intake and exhaust and start fabricating new ones.

Guest adegnes

VM: I saw you used ordinary thin-walled exhaust tube manufacturing the turbo manifold, no cracking? I've heard that you have to use thicker walls when using mild steel, orelse it will "self destruct", not true?

Sorry to butt in with a response - but... B)

I've seen headers done with mild steel, but the trick was to use slip joints at the collector, with the pipes held in with springs. (Connecting the two with loops welded to the pipe and the collector) Just like they do on a lot of motorbike exhausts. With a good slip fit - there's never any leakage to speak of either.

The steel warps with extreme heat - so if you design in the movement - then it's usually fine. I'd try to get it done it done in stainless though, unless you can get it ceramic coated after... Thin walled mild steel usually dies from rust quite quickly otherwise...

I've heard a good ceramic coating can prevent warping from excessive heat - and it looks like that pic of the hopped up Volvo has exactly that.

Rabin

Guest adegnes

some inspiration for a new intake:

The first one look sooooo sweet, but I'm not shure I'm able to manufacture such nice curves in sheetmetal... looks hard...

the two others look prety simple....

sweet!!

post-113-1192094967.jpeg

post-113-1192094996.jpg

post-113-1192095013.jpeg

I could cut the original runners, weld on some tracts, and weld a plenum around them, it would save me alot of work, and do the same job... alu is alot easier to form, so maybe I can make something simmilar to the first pic. hmm...

• 2 weeks later...

VM: I saw you used ordinary thin-walled exhaust tube manufacturing the turbo manifold, no cracking? I've heard that you have to use thicker walls when using mild steel, orelse it will "self destruct", not true?

I have no problems with my manifold, eaven I didn't do any heat treatment after welding.

V-M

Guest adegnes

I'm starting in a new job soon, hopefully making alot more money.

where to put the extra cash?

new plans for the winter/spring:

- I'm putting MS on hold for a while, if I keep the n9t I'll go MS, but I've talked to some guys, and I can get a 2jz with transmission "pretty" cheap... 2jz+505 ;) ! but before I'll start doing anything engine related:

- rollcage (kind of stupid building a racecar without one...)

- fuel cell, surge tank, new fuel pump and filter +all fuel lines.

- adjustable camber/caster in front (found some ment for volvo, but they'll fit)

- some kind of coilovers, there has to be something that'll fit...

- new brakelines and hoses, and a complete pedalbox

- move drivers seat and sterring wheel back (cause of the pedalbox and weight distribusion.

- hydralic handbrake

- new seatbelts

it'll put me back ca. 6000USD (another 6000USD for the 2jz with trans.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adegnes

It looks like coilovers ment for nissan 180/200/240 sx (s13, dont know if s14 and s15 are the same) will fit the '88 505 turbo with minor modifications. all the kits comes with camberplates too... it looks like the only mods needed are redrilling of the strut towers and hub brackets (front).

in the back, if the lenght is right (it looks like they'll be too long, so coilovers from a different car may be needed for the back) , only mod needed is drilling holes for the mounting bolts on the bearing plate and maybe a bit of strengthening.

post-113-1195109003.jpg

EDIT:

here's a kit with shorter ones for the back, maybe they are ment for a different mounting location...

post-113-1195110683.jpg

Guest adegnes

I'll take of the front and back suspension on one side of the car today, and take a look.... don't know if they'll fit on the "rear cross plate thing", but I'm shure it wont need much modification.

• 4 months later...
Guest adegnes

Any progress lately?

no, not really, I`ve bought a house, and have been working on it since christmass, so there hasnt been much time left to work on the car... :lol:

I`ve decided to buy a 2jz, with the low USD and all, it wont be that expenssive...

as soon as the house is finnished (hopefully in a month or two), the car is first priority again...

anything groundbreaking happened in the 505turbo-world? it`s been a while since my last visit...

no, not really, I`ve bought a house, and have been working on it since christmass, so there hasnt been much time left to work on the car... :lol:

I`ve decided to buy a 2jz, with the low USD and all, it wont be that expenssive...

as soon as the house is finnished (hopefully in a month or two), the car is first priority again...

anything groundbreaking happened in the 505turbo-world? it`s been a while since my last visit...

Ok, hope you get time soon, it's interesting to follow your project!

It will be cool with 310hp stock in a 505, I assume that you mean the 2JZ-GTE?

According to wikipedia they are well known to take higher boost without changing internal components. :D

• 2 weeks later...

no, not really, I`ve bought a house, and have been working on it since christmass, so there hasnt been much time left to work on the car... :D

Oh hell ya! Take your time and document that deal fully. I want to see all the gory details.

6 speed Getrag will also cost a pretty penny (If you're going with the GTE).

You'll blow your rear-end into Finland with all that HP. :D

• 1 year later...