1980 505 sedan XD3T transplant survivor

RichinEd

Hi all, recently picked up a 1980 505 sedan from Dan Midtdal in Kelowna BC He's downsizing and there aren't too many Peugeot enthusiasts in this part of the country so I gladly took it off his hands. Of course the wife wasn't too happy, but that's another story. The car used to be daily driven by one of his daughters but more recently was sitting in his yard along with quite a tidy 504 sedan. A while ago a couple of vandals broke in and damaged the car. They kicked in the front windshield, smashed both front windows, stomped on the sunroof and also tried to hotwire the car without success. It sat under a cover but a few years outside in the weather round here is not the best thing for an old French car. The best part is that a few years ago he transplanted an XD3T from a later model 505 into this one. It starts and runs easily, probably could have driven it onto the transporter except for a couple of rotten tires.It smokes really bad when started, almost like its running super rich, I've got a hunch that the turbo may not be spooling up as the smoke seems to seep out of the exhaust, but the rear muffler is pretty bad so maybe I just need to remove that. Will also check on the inlet side of the turbo to see if it's spinning freely. Seeing as it's been sitting for so long a can of injector cleaner like Liqui Moly might also be in order. Just the other day Dan was also looking to part with some 15' alloy 505 rims which I picked up on Friday. They even came with a nice set of studded winter tires which are now sitting on the car! One thing I noticed when putting the new wheels on that the front is very springy, there seems to be no damping in the front, will have to check my other garaged 505 to see how it compares. Will post some pictures next time I get this car out of the garage.

Interesting project, those older diesel seem to run forever so you should be in good shape if it was fine when parked, for the smoke on start up if the car is intercooled you may have large amount of oil sitting in the intercooled, which can cause a runaway condition, so before you run the car anymore you may want to remove the intercooler and let it drain, and while in their clean it, i've drain 0.5 liters of dirty engine oil from one which begs the question how did it run at all, that may by your problem with the smoke.

I was thinking about this last night when checking some other posts on here, I'm wondering if Dan might have gotten his wires crossed as my car doesn't have an intercooler. I thought to be an XD3T it should have an intercooler? From memory if it's an XD2S there should be something stamped on the block to that effect? The glovebox was full of rodent nest so it wouldn't be to much of a stretch to think other places might be full of stuff. Fine day tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a wee bit of time to check out a couple of things.

Buying the oem parts may be difficult, you can go aftermarket, the 505 has lots of room in front of the radiator and front mounted intercooler is much better than the factory setup, on the designation note, i've noticed XUD11ATEY identical car with XUD11BTEY, any idea why?

If I remember well the BTE is an updated XUD11 with Roto-diesel electronic pump, lower emissions and way smoother with the ecu control.

On the XD3TE topic there is more than the intercooler, the exhaust manifold and the turbo are specific. It's a K16 with a very special triangular flange like in the XUD family.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I finally got to play with the car a little over the weekend as it is outside for now and the weather warmed up enough for tinkering. I took the inlet pipes off before the turbo and can definitely hear it spooling on acceleration which is good. One thing I noticed was the bottom of the metal filled air filter was sitting deep into the oil bath. Is this correct? I couldn't see how any air would get through to the turbo if it had to move through the oil. Also cut off the rusted out rear muffler and replaced it with a piece of straight pipe. Now the exhaust comes out of just one place instead of seeping out of many. When the engine is running there is a large cloud of diesel exhaust, does something need adjusting? Is it running too rich? I have a can of LiquiMoly that I'm going to run through the engine, maybe that'll clean things up some. Still haven't found a replacement windshield.

If it has a paper element filter then is not a oil bath filter, and if is a bath filter you may upgrade to a more modern fiter, if the car hasn't run for long time smoke is normal, let it burn all the old fuel and put some fresh diesel, it will clear up from my experience it needs about 3-500 km to come back to normal.

Hi, it has the old style oil bath filter, very messy as I found out when taking apart! What/how does one change to a more modern type filter? I would love to somehow plumb in some type of intercooler as well. Once the oil bath filter has gone there would probably be enough room to work something in. Without the windshield I can't drive the car on the road. 

Sounds like they used the 1980 oil bath filter for the XD3T engine - the XD3T in the later 505's uses a similar airbox to the 505 turbo gas and V6 cars with the oiled foam air filter.

What colour is the smoke?  White smoke when cold started is an indication of low compression usually (Needs to be >300psi), and should clear once the car is warmed up.  .  If it's black then it's over fueling, and the injection pump needs tuning.

Rabin

The smoke is kinda grey looking, not the black smoke you see when someone hits the kickdown on their pickup truck to accelerate and definitely not white. The longest I've let it sit and run for is about 5 minutes, maybe I need to let it sit a bit longer? Yep I know the air filter from the ST/STX as I used to own one, much cleaner to use. I have a couple of days off this week, if it's not too cold out I'll do some more tinkering. 

Definitely need to get it up to temp,  and I'd run 1-2 cans of diesel purge through that pump just to make sure.

Pump timing, and injector pop pressures and spray pattern would be phase 2.

Since the motor is new to you, a valve clearance check/adjustment and a head torque check might also be advisable. 

Rabin

I was looking at the engine the other day trying to figure out where to hook up the lines for doing the diesel purge. Confused as to which one going to the injector pump I should use? Figure the one going back to the tank would be the one I should use going back to the can of Liqui Moly?

• 1 month later...

if you want an intercooler, i would recommend a saab 900 intercooler. it'll sit nice in front of your rad(fits in my 504, just a test fit, but it does) and has inlet and outlet on the same side so pumbing will be easy, the biggest hurtle is going to be getting the pipe form the intercooler to the intake(turbo sits really close as it originally blows straight in). idk if the n/a intake fit with the turbo exhaust, but if it does that'd be the best, it faces upward not downward. good luck, and cool car!

yea the compressor is easy, wastegate actuator is not attached to it. and you could probably get a 90 silicone elbow on the stock intake but id be worried about the compressor housing still touching it and eventually rubbing a hole. if you deleted the egr and put a 90 in its place it'd probably be pretty easy. of course the silicone elbow may not rub, but its tight in there.