405 Mi16 ignition switch replacement - matching up the keys

casm

It's starting to look as though the ignition switch on our 1991 405 Mi16 is coming due for replacement. In a way, this is almost convenient, since I need to replace the headlamp switch stalk as well (which, fortunately, I happen to have).

The ignition switch has been pretty easy to find online, and it looks as though most (if not all) of them come with keys. However, those keys probably aren't going to match the existing ignition lock, which means that they won't match the door locks either.

Is it possible to either locate a lock with the key pattern pre-matched to our existing keys, or have the new lock's tumblers matched to those keys? Worst case, can the existing door locks be matched to the new keys, or am I looking at replacing all three locks to get a matched set?

It's been years since I've had to do this (and it wasn't on a Peugeot), but my overwhelming recollection is that the car in question ended up with one set of keys for the ignition and one for the doors, which was decidedly less than optimal.

Is it possible to either locate a lock with the key pattern pre-matched to our existing keys, or have the new lock's tumblers matched to those keys? Worst case, can the existing door locks be matched to the new keys, or am I looking at replacing all three locks to get a matched set?

bundy lock and key here in los angeles (sepulveda in west LA just off the 405 near santa monica blvd) can probably reset the tumblers on the new ignition lock to match your old keys...btw, they have generic peugeot key blanks at bundy...also, marc m has (or has access to) the peugeot dealership key-cutting machine and can cut keys using the codes, if that's ever something you need.

i've never seen a matched set of locks (ignition/front doors) for sale. not to say that they don't exist, but if they do they're very rare.

andré

Rekeying the new lock, or if the electric switch part is separate then just replace that like Savo suggested are what I'd likely do...

Btw - I highly recommend new keys cut to code. Over time the key wears down and it feels loose. Fresh keys make the lock feel like new again.

Rabin