N9T modification

keebs

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evil hand wringing and deep throaty laughter from The Temple of Doom! I can hear it in Australia. I keep telling my colleagues, "I am not crazy, this is serious stuff to a 505 driver".

Two questions to start, Keebs.

1/ Will this use the Dani cam?

2/ Would you have an equivalent Garrett for me to run the Dynosim for you?

Yippee!

I had never looked at any other turbos from BW aside from the EFR line, but damn those SX turbos spec out really nicely, and lots of good reviews.

Love that it's a journal bearing (rebuildable), smallish, twin scroll, and pretty darn affordable!

I'm gonna have to spend more time looking at that series.

Rabin

For the time being it still has the standard cam installed, dani cam might go in later. A garrett comparison would be between a gt28rs and gtx3067 based on flow alone.

The only thing I like about the EFR turbos are the compressors. Sure you might save a buck if your system is built around it, but then you're stuck with it and things marked "engineered for racing" usually mean finite lifespan.

Keebs, Oh Mighty Emperor of Doom!

The figures from the Dynosim prediction. Air temp at 75 F and altitude 500ft. In the table the boost can be seen in the Int Man Pressure ( inlet manifold pressure) beginning at 1500. I'll have play with static comp ratio and cam timing then try the set up with the Dani profile.

Have you sorted an adequate intercooler?

post-1370-0-39611700-1430166892_thumb.pn

post-1370-0-41555000-1430166980_thumb.pn

Can't take credit for the welds. It's being made by a local fab shop called Tempest Racing. If the car comes back tomorrow I'll post some better pics.

8.5:1 is probably the limit compression wise unless the chamber can be modified for a faster burn.

That should do us! It's looking good. 200 ft lb at 2500rpm. I'll play around with intercooler sizing if you agree on the output prediction. Graph 1 is at 7.5, graph 2 at 8.5 on standard cam timing and small intercooler. Should get a nice whistle along, Oh Mighty One!

post-1370-0-49608000-1430340214_thumb.pn

post-1370-0-74021600-1430340237_thumb.pn

Wow.

Attention to detail and byild quality look exceptional.

Out of curiousity - what was your thoughts/experience on one piece flange vs segmented flanges for each port to account for expansion? And was there any consideration for a support bracket for the turbo to take some weight off the manifold bolts?

Just curious - Again just looking for validation on different methods Ive seen.

Rabin

Stewart, I should be up and running in a day or two to give some feedback.

Rabin, I see no difference between a solid flange and a segmented one. Segmented would be useful for weight savings, or if you basically needed to assemble during install with slip connectors due to cramped spaces. A solid flange would dissipate more heat than segmented, so possibly less chance of warping. It's really a toss up. If you're making the flange at home on a drill press segmented would be better since a mistake wouldnt cost a whole flange.

I wouldn't brace a turbo manifold unless it was stupid heavy. Think about thermodynamics and metal expansion rates. You have a 800-950c manifold at fairly uniform temps and expansion, then you have a rigid stick bolted to it that wont let the material do what it wants through heat cycles. A better solution would be a harmonic isolation bushing thats a mild durometer that doesn't impart an outside stress just absorbs vibration.

Now that's a complex question. Easy way is a dyno, the other way is trial and error. Use your best guess as to what feels faster that's about it.

Got the car running today, but forgot to snap a shot of the previous map. Only tuned to .5 bar, had to add 5% more fuel in the cruising range and 2-3% up top. Egt was lower so took some timing out. Overall it runs, doesn't leak, and the turbo makes it sound like a truck. I'm happy with it.

Thanks, gotta love Tial. Didn't even consider Precision turbo, had a bad experience with them.

Interesting... From our experience HP and track numbers have improved with Precision units and most of them are smaller unit compared to Garret units.

Cool build I'm glad someone is doing something good with 505's.

EXTREMELY interested in how fast it spools up once you get it dialed in... :)

Btw - with respect to the bracket I was thinking direct support of the turbo instead of to the manifold. No idea how heavy the assembly was, but turbo is a bit father out so curious of it crossed your mind.

Oh - and install pictures would be awesome to see how a top mount turbo looks in the engine bay. :)

Rabin