aftermarket replacement firewall

the firewall is literally disintegrating in my car. the plastic is brittle and braking away, and the foam behind it is coming out, and going all over the place.

do any of you know of any aftermarket 'ply-able' firewall solutions? i'm really not sure what my options are at this point, so suggestions are appreciated. I've thought of just ripping it out, totally but i like the idea of having 'something' there (just not sure what).

Guest the505inme

I thought I had the last 505 with that foam plastic crap still intact. A mouse got into it this winter, so I had to tear it all out. Most 505's Iv'e seen loose that foam stuff when the first blower motor fails.

I always thought of it as sound proofing, but I could never tell the difference w/ or w/ out it.

Is it even fire proof?

I thought I had the last 505 with that foam plastic crap still intact. A mouse got into it this winter, so I had to tear it all out. Most 505's Iv'e seen loose that foam stuff when the first blower motor fails.

I always thought of it as sound proofing, but I could never tell the difference w/ or w/ out it.

Is it even fire proof?

those 86/85 firewalls are a joke no doubt. peugeot did a firewall upgrade in 87 to a more rubbery material from what i've seen. it does do a better job at sound insulation for sure, and doesn't break down nearly as much...

i guess i could look for a used one from a 87+ 505, but what fun is that! :)

I have seen some stuff used that looks like the contact paper used in the kitchen, except the surface was metal or metalish, not vinyl. Almost like the metal duct tape used on furnaces, but more pliable, and it looked like it came in biggger sheets, as opposed to the three inch rolls. It didn't look bad for a repair. I have no idea on a source.

Bill

I have the same problem. Tried to take one out of a wrecked 88 but it came of in many pieces :) (althoug it's made out of a much better material then the 86)

Thinking of building a cover in aluminum and cover the inside with some sound insultaion material. Also thinking of building a cover for the battery and the wires on right side of engine compartment. Could be a cool upgrade

Armaflex

This is what I was thinking of using...

They have a whole line of products, and after a bit of searching this is probably the best bet... There could be other products though.

Next step would be to find a retailer. Any industrial HVAC company should be able to source it for you...

Rabin

Armaflex

This is what I was thinking of using...

They have a whole line of products, and after a bit of searching this is probably the best bet... There could be other products though.

Next step would be to find a retailer. Any industrial HVAC company should be able to source it for you...

Rabin

thanks rabin, i'll give em a call.

• 1 month later...

I've used black duct tape to repair some smaller damages. Works quite well if the shield is not in pieces yet. I would also recommend Armaflex, their products are known to be good and are used in many professional applications.

I've been thinking of making a new shield from fiberglass... You could use a reasonable intact old shield to make a mold. However, I'm not sure how well fiberglass resists heat, maybe there would be need to use some heat shield material also. And to the inside I would put Armaflex. ;-)

I think there's a huge difference in sound proofing if the shield is intact or even slightly broken. At least in European 505's.

interesting, any idea on price?

i think $ 100 dollar area...my dad bought one like 7 yrs ago when it was his car...

also...august...i seem to have lost the contact info for Peugeot N.A.. I was looking to call em 2day and order some accessory rims..but i couldnt find the number. If you want it, e-mail Peugeot Headquarters up in France. They should get it 2 you. I got mine face to face in the Headquarters' Dealership/Parts department on Av. Grand Armee in france. Also, what year is your car?? just wondering

wow, if i could get a new oem firewall for $100 that would be damn cool no doubt..

the car is an 86, but i'd rather get a newer (87?), 88, or 89+ firewall.

let us know what you find out as far as contact info. or if you could ask about pricing when you call it'd be greatly appreciated <_<