XU9J4 intake manifold gaskets and bypass hoses

Mainly for the Mi16 expert Savo... But don't let that dissuade you if you have any info...

I need to replace just about every bypass/vent/vapor hose that lies in the front side of the motor. That will require me to pull the intake.

My sources (Javal, W-H) say the Mi16 intake manifold gasket is NLA. Anybody have a source for that?

The attached files show the hoses I want to replace. They're all original so if it's rubber and looks like a hose, I want to replace it.

What did you do? Have you been down this road?

Thanks!

post-62-0-45050000-1397623052_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-06927900-1397623055_thumb.jpg

I got two MI16's and one spair engine and I'm lucky enough that all of those hoses are in awesome condition,but yes I had IM out multiple times. When you remove IM it opens up so much space that you can see intire engine. IM gaskets come with engine gaskets set but it is stupid to waste $$$$ on gasket set to just use IM gaskets. You can use RTV on IM and it will be just as good as gasket if not better.

There is nothing that I have not touched or replaced on MI16 so feel free to ask anything.

Koll - Intake Manifold should be easy enough to make yourself no? I've made quite a few gaskets myself out of proper gasket sheets (Cork and paper), and some of the gasket sheets would work perfect for the IM. I personally hate using RTV unless absolutely necessary - instead I find paper gaskets with some oil on them work awesome for sealing everything, and best of all it looks super clean when done and it so much easier to replace later. (IE T-stat covers).

Rubber - if the hoses are just hard, I would try boiling them in hot water to soften and then condition with Aero 303 to see if they can be made usable again. Failing that - On my Subaru I replaces all the PCV hoses that were rock hard and braking with copper plumbing fittings soldered together and painted black. Used black heater hoses at the ends for the connections - worked great. If I actually cared about the car and the looks - I'd do the same thing - but look at getting them powdercoated instead. If they're just bends - then you can look at bending up steel tubing as a similar idea. 1/2" hard line would be plenty for most PCV systems...

Rabin

• 2 months later...

Update:

So I sourced all the hoses in silicone from England. Was like $250 + 50 shipping. Everything from England is $50. They are really quality hoses. The ones I pulled were roached beyond belief. With real ghetto fixes effected from prior mechanics. Rob @ Javal got me the two oil cooler hoses. The ones I pulled were very soft. I thought they were too soft, but after removing them and cleaning them, they were in remarkably good shape. They appeared to be OEM. I'm way too anal to reuse hoses, though.

Gaskets? England again. $64 seller said the were "Genuine O/E", but they were aftermarket Interface Solutions (US supplier of raw gasket material). I find most my British suppliers prey on our short tenure with the English language over here, (perhaps as it relates to our incorrect use of automotive terms) or are simply liars and cheats. They look like they will work and we're created on a CNC-like machine. I've tried making a few gaskets in the past with unsatisfactory results. As luck would have it, last week a pair went up on eBay and I now have a backup set for $15. These are in newly packaged cardboard that at least say 'made in France' and set on a cardboard backing with PSA logos on it.

So I'm good to go now. Thanks for all the great advice. I think going forward these types of shortages will become more accute so practicing workarounds is a good skill to hone.

I wouldn't know. One would think a decent business could be made if someone made with a CAD program and a waterjet or laserjet cutting machine. I searched online for 'custom gasket', etc and came up dry. Maybe someone else's Google-Fu is stronger than mine.

There's a place in Thailand or Malaysia that an ex-pat from the UK set up that does custom gaskets for cheap. Found him on the MB diesel forums as he had made a MLS gasket for a guys build.

I contacted him and he said with an original unused gasket to use as a pattern would be cheap. One off MLS gasket was going to be ~$250 IIRC whivh is dirt cheap.

Shipping was higher of course, buy if you did up 5-10 sets the economies of scale would be pretty decent.

Rabin