my3AWDgst

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Last Saturday I replaced the gas tank and filler neck do to leak and holding fuel nozzle while fuling was driving me crazy. All good now no fuel leaks and fuel nozzle is not clicking off any more.

I also repaired speedo cable and replace idle control valve. Wagon and Sedan gas tank and filler neck are the same.

Grrrrr this sucks big fat D... It looks like it may have head gasket issues,it pushes coolant through over flow weep hole on the hot day when it's not running. To top that off there was some construction work on I 80 and one of the debris cracked my windshield :-(

This 405 had a factory option of VIN numbers being engraved on all of the windows so I'm very mad that will go away.
However I did file claim with Caltrans so we shell see what will happened.

This 405 had a factory option of VIN numbers being engraved on all of the windows so I'm very mad that will go away.

when we have the peugeot concours, we'll have to take points off for that. i know a peugeot concours is a long way off, but your cars are almost 100% powder coated so i know they'll still be around. :)

andré

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last few weeks ago I've noticed really bad oil consumption however engine was running good and strong. Today on my way to work check engine light came on and engine was cutting out,right after that started to make a lot if noise. At that point I knew it was engine failure so I kept driving few yards longer just to get off the Freeway. Long story short this wagon has engine block inspection hole.

That sucks Savo! Did you have any idea where the oil was going?

Sadly I know exactly what that sound and feeling is like. I had an 86 505 STI 5-sp with a jewel of an XN6 in it. Decided to clean up the engine bay and I used a Moroso valve cover filter for the PCV system just before a trip to Saskatoon in very cold winter temperatures. About an hour into the trip the car was running brilliantly when it sputtered for a split second - looked down at the gauges just in time to see the oll light flicker - and then that sickening clatter of the motor as it starved for oil. I knew as soon as I heard that noise it was done - so I just drove it until it couldn't drive anymore... First and only experience ventilating a block. Turned out that valve cover filter was closed cell foam inside it - you couldn't blow air through the damn thing at all, so the engine blew all the oil out the front slinger seal until oil starvation killed it.

Hopefully it's not too much of a set back - and knowing you it'll be running with another detailed motor inside a week!

Rabin

I think that rings gave out,perhaps one or two broke which caused high oil consumption,I new it was a ticking bomb waiting to go off :-(

Your engine failure sounds just like mine did :-)

I got spare engines but unfortunately for me it will be a while before she back on the road. MI16 now needs to be done ASAP and DSM needs some love as well.

I'm thinking to have head rebuilded,change piston rings,main and rod bearings.

Long story short this wagon has engine block inspection hole.

First and only experience ventilating a block.

The first time I ever had the occasion to change an engine, was many many years ago. An old girlfiend was taking friends to the airport in my Toyota. A few miles before she got their the oil pressure light came on. She figured that she would get them to their plane and then look into it. She got another hundred yards before hearing a bang. When I got the engine out I couldn't quite get my head in through the hole in the block to look around, but almost.

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome Savo... Any special instructions for the block or just refresh? (Rings & seals?)

Rabin

Spare engine was standard and what appears on first sight in darn good gondition. Machine shop answer will be the key for the build,for sure it's getting valve job,guides,stem seals,resurface and all new seals and gaskets.

I would love to use new road and main bearings,hon out cylinders and use new piston rings. Engine bay is cleaned up AGAIN and all other brackets and powder coated parts. So basically I'm just waiting for engine to show up,as soon I receive it back it will run in just a few days.

Two weeks after engine failure my DSM has suffered same engine failure as well :-(