505 Door Panel Insulation From Hell

bill

I took all the door panels off to lubricate and made an interesting observation on the 86 turbo. I found these piece of super hard plastic that I am sure would have the potential to be a source of rattling. It looks that they came from the side of the door panel and just fell down.

-Bill

i found some stuff in my doors when i cleaned them out in preparation of applying dynamat....looks to have been some sort of bituminous material that was applied to the inside of the door for NVH insulation. it must have been applied in sheets, but it looks to have dried off and rolled up over time...

IMG_7755.jpg

andré

Yup - sound deadening stuff that appears to die itself! I found the same thing in my doors, plan was to replace with dynamat as well, with just patches attached to the inside of the door skin. I'd then replace the dust plastic with more dynamat for even more sound deadening.

I screwed up though and had the car Ziebart'd and the doors are sprayed with their corrosion fighting grease, so its going to be a big job getting it all cleaned up to do the dynamat.

Rabin

• 2 years later...

Interesting.  I'll look for that black stuff when I get into my 89's left rear door.  (Nice weather today here in Virginia so I ran all the windows down all the way just to see which ones would go back up!)

I have a question: what would you guys use to replace that thin white foam behind the interior panel (My fiche calls it "PANEL, waterproof")?  Plain old sheet poly?  Or can I get something more like the original?

/jwc

16 hours ago, 10PARUE said:

I have a question: what would you guys use to replace that thin white foam behind the interior panel (My fiche calls it "PANEL, waterproof")?  Plain old sheet poly?  Or can I get something more like the original?

i seem to remember reading on a forum that the original material used in the 205s was still available somehow....not sure if it was the peugeot part, or if it was the same material available in bulk. i also don't remember where i saw this -- maybe on aussiefrogs? maybe on the UK 205 forum? not sure. also -- is the 205 material the same as the 505 material? IDK...

in any event, your best bet would be to peruse the old car forums and figure out what everyone else uses. there aren't any peugeot 505 concours to speak of, and even if there were, no one is going to be pulling off your door car to look inside.

andré