French & Italian Car Show, Los Angeles - 2013

andrethx

i was really bummed about this year's show -- i had hoped to show my car this year, but i've made little progress recently and it's still not registered for daily use. :( on top of that, i got really sick this year (i mean, really sick) around the time of the show. i dragged my sorry ass out to victory park in van nuys for an hour or so, but that's all i could do. oh well, there's always next year.

anyway, i managed to take a few pictures while i was there, so here they are:

i met cameron (a forum member from here in LA), a really nice guy who owns a really nice 405. he got this car a while back and has been sorting it out including fixing stuff the previous owners did:

PhotoNov0390442AM_zps214dd810.jpg

PhotoNov0390425AM_zps0ba04791.jpg

vic van tress brought red this year, if you squint you can make out the roll cage:

PhotoNov0392209AM_zpsc0894af2.jpg

PhotoNov0392153AM_zps0a9649db.jpg

mike (to whom i was introduced by marc m) brought his 206 again. this is one of those rare post-91 cars that somehow found its way into the US:

PhotoNov0392117AM_zpsf6df8c0c.jpg

PhotoNov0392129AM_zpsd33d7e9f.jpg

505 wagon and marc m's 505 & 403:

PhotoNov0391414AM_zps1db185b1.jpg

PhotoNov0391206AM_zpsad9c499b.jpg

PhotoNov0390947AM_zps530b5ec2.jpg

citroën traction avants:

PhotoNov0390716AM_zps9f8c59f9.jpg

citroën deux chevaux, a charleston i believe:

PhotoNov0390646AM_zps3643b92c.jpg

2cv utility:

PhotoNov0390448AM_zps6ebf9e72.jpg

ds 23:

PhotoNov0390515AM_zps103dbad0.jpg

PhotoNov0390553AM_zps2cbe075a.jpg

nice sm with european headlights:

PhotoNov0390523AM_zpsc4216cde.jpg

PhotoNov0390543AM_zpsdac271ad.jpg

beautiful ami 8:

PhotoNov0390410AM_zpsb1f477a0.jpg

PhotoNov0390354AM_zpsf5153f64.jpg

r5 turbo 2s:

PhotoNov0390304AM_zps5e7b3e0f.jpg

PhotoNov0390322AM_zps70ac541e.jpg

the parking lot at the F&I is also usually very interesting...i was parked next to a caterham 7:

PhotoNov0390207AM_zps7ff5e6c3.jpg

after i left, a méhari pulled into my spot:

PhotoNov0392759AM_zpsc51d9278.jpg

i'll try to get more pictures next year...

andré

Fantastic coverage Andre! Hope you're feeling better too. A few observations I made based on your photos:

• the green 405 used to belong to that dude in San Fran - his car was the one featured in Automobile magazine, and I had seen it before in person in SF - looked flawless.
  • one of those traction avants (or maybe more) has to be from my hometown of Alameda up north... there's a big-time Citroen O.G who lives on a main-street down from my high school, and I'd have a hard time believing that at least one of those rare Californian beauties isn't his!
  • One of those white R5 Turbo 2's is from right here in La Jolla. I was out for a date a few weekends ago in the Cove (super nice neighborhood) and it was parked in front of the restaurant. Definitely a true time-capsule of pure 80s steeze.
  • also, damn jealous that I missed out on the show! looked like tons of fun.

Sina

thanks for the kind words, guys. i am much better now -- i had a super-bad infection, they gave me some harsh antibiotics to deal with it (including cipro, they stuff they use for anthrax)...the drugs were almost worse than the infection! getting older really sucks. :angry:

sina, i thought cameron's 405 looked familiar. i have the automobile magazine with the article somewhere...

ikenna, you should organize a car show yourself! the people who run the F&I rent out a park for a day and charge a fee for those displaying cars to cover the cost (i think it's around US$25 for the first car, with discounts for multiple cars). they have a couple of food booths there along with a small swap meet section where the merchants have tables (i think they pay the show something like US$25 to be there). since you actually have peugeot parts dealers in your town, you could offer them tables to show their wares. you could tailor the entrance requirements for cars being displayed depending on how much interest you get -- only peugeots, all french cars, french & italian or all european...of course you won't make any money doing this, but you can probably break even (or close to it) with relatively low fees...

you could also start with a cars & coffee -type event....more informal (no fees or merchants), you just need a parking lot somewhere and a table with coffee. C&C is every saturday morning (very early -- over by 8 or 9 AM), but you could have it less often if that's a hassle. "cars and coffee abuja" has a nice ring to it... :)

andré