Your opinion on new Ebay 405 starter

my3AWDgst

My starter is going bad on my 89 MI16,I do have used replacement starter but I'd like to purchase new unit. I found few new units on Ebay and on one of them seller is describing it as NEW OEM replacement.

Please share your opinion. Thank you.

Here is the Ebay link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141065825564

I always hate stock pictures and not the picture of the actual items, and I also question the use of "OEM" as often they don't even know that it means Original Equipment Manufacture, or that NOS means New Old Stock... You can't discount that the possibility exists, but it would be nice to get actual pictures to justify it.

There's no mention of which manufacturer it is, and at that price saying there are 5 available I'm thinking they're a cheap jobber copy, or they're reman units.

Rabin.

Well that's a good sign for sure!

I've never heard of Iskra, but I've also never had a 405. For the price it sounds like a pretty decent gamble.

Btw: if you jump the starter connection directly with power - does it click or always turn over? If it always cranks then check wiring and connections, if it clicks its likely the starter.

Rabin

If the solenoid is working, then the starter is likely wrecked (but you could still have a wiring issue or you have a bad battery).

405s are notorious for high impedance in the starter wiring, an additional wire was run on many cars to avoid this problem.