I'm getting a Peugeot RCZ in 2014

Mike T

Unfortunately it will only be mine for a few weeks....

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe in the summer of 2014 and when it became apparent that we would be wanting to go to multiple destinations, having a car started to make a lot of sense. The basic plan is to fly into Paris, spend a few days there, pick up a brand new RCZ on bright red TT plates from Peugeot-SODEXA and drive it to Vimy Ridge, then Ypres, then Metz to visit friends, Strasbourg, Chamonix, Venice, Ancona - ferry to Igoumenitsa Greece - and drive it around Greece for 9 or 10 days. Then we'll come back on a ferry to Bari or Ancona, possibly via Pompeii, the Rhône valley and back to Calais, where the car will be returned and the British leg of our trip will begin in a more boring RHD car.

On previous trips to Europe, we've needed larger unexciting cars due to having the kids with us (the last TT car we had was a Renault Scenic 1.9 diesel!) but this time my wife and I will be alone, so only two seats are needed. (Our daughters may meet us in Britain or Paris for a day or two, our son will probably be working and unable to come over). The RCZ has some very small jump seats in the back in case they want a ride somewhere.

The cheapest TT car from Peugeot for the time we need it would cost about half of what the RCZ costs; however given the choice between a three pot stripper Peugeot 208 hatch and a 156 HP manual RCZ with navigation system, leather and that oh so sexy body, it's a no brainer. The cost for 21 days is $2435 CAD. This is slightly cheaper than the US Peugeot TT site is advertising for the same car.

I would love to get an RCZ-R but that would be asking too much and since we're not spending much - if any - time in Germany (to legally take advantage of the 250+ km/h top speed) there wouldn't be any point. 156 HP should be plenty, for a car that weighs the same as a 405 MI16. Top end is supposed to be 215 (I will check that if we get to Germany on the way back) and 0-100 comes in 8.3 seconds, both of which are plenty quick enough for our needs.

We have travelled in those countries before, so I know what to expect of the traffic and all the other things. We have also taken TT cars to Greece before, driving there in the 1980s through what used to be Yugoslavia.

I guess you could say I am looking forward to this trip quite a bit. I will take lots of photos of the car and post them here wither during the trip or when I get back. I will also write up a review of what it's like to use an RCZ on a long road trip.

I read this post as soon as you posted it and just having a chance to respond to it now...

Wow. That really sounds like a well planned out trip that's going to be really quite amazing. How long is the entire holiday start to finish including the UK leg? Can't wait for pictures and as well as your report on the car with such an extended long term report - I too hope you get a good one!

Now if I could convince my wife driving in Europe isn't the impossibility she thinks it would be!

Rabin

I will be doing all the driving! Sandy doesn't drive!

We're looking at about 5 weeks in total, about 25 days on the Continent.

I should work out the finer details in the coming months. One change I think is the return leg, I am looking at taking the Brenner Autobahn back from Italy to Austria, so we can give the car a short blast across German Autobahnen.

• 9 months later...

We will fly in to Paris just over a week from now and I will be behind the wheel of a new RCZ in just over 8 days! Oh yeah!!

But the day before we fly, I will be riding my Cervélo RS 160 km in the Granfondo Axel Merckx, so it's a busy few days coming up!

Holy cow Mike - that came up fast! I can't wait for reports and I truly wish it exceeds expectations.

160KM on a road bike is no joke - good for you, and best of luck in the event. I'm just getting back into riding and thinking 40KM would kill me!

Rabin

• 1 month later...

We just got back yesterday evening and I do have a thorough report on the RCZ coming up, once I get home and have a chance to write it up. Today we will be in Vancouver and then I will be back at work on Thursday.