'91 505 N9TEA Dies, Flashes 2.2

Just when I'm delivering the V6 to Mr. Roger for head gaskets, my daughter calls in a driving rainstorm to tell me the car died.

It has been excessively hot and humid here with frequent downpours and large puddles through which people love to drive.

Anyway, the car is in my garage drying out.

It started instantly after it rolled off the flatbed.

The tachometer was jumping all over the place, the sensor a constant yellow.

After a while it was idling OK, poor response.

In pure darkness with the hood open and engine running, there was no arcing. I did hear a crackling sound which seemed to come from the glove compartment area. Oh yay.

This morning it started right away, I am getting a 2.2- lack of continuity in the electrical circuit or detonation sensor. She said she went through a big puddle.

I am waiting until tonight to monkey around with it.

Any suggestions.

Thank you.

The car started instantly and as usual. I idled it for 45 minutes to see if anything bad would happen.

I drove five miles, stopped at a drive-up ATM. The engine started sputtering and I barely made it to a parking spot. The car wouldn't start. Spin yes. Start no.

During the two hours while I waited for a tow: the car began to start and run for longer periods the colder the engine became.

By the time I got home, it started and I backed it into the garage.

Question: this appears to be a failure of an electronic/ignition component when it heats.

Is there a CPS on this engine? I have grabbed my Radio Shack Electronic Parts Coolant and am ready to start chilling parts.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Sorry Bill - just saw this post... (Auto alerts for new posts is getting worse and worse with each upgrade!)

I'll take pictures of each of the relays tomorrow and try to show which wires are going to which terminal, as well as telling which wires go to which # of each terminal.

As for the issues, this sounds like the typical "I washed my motor and it runs like crap" symptoms I've had with these cars when I've washed the motors without taking adequate precautions. I'd open up the distributor and inspect for moisture, as the worst case I had water had made it's way into the distributor and the car wouldn't even fire. Relays like you checked (and we'll sort out), as well as any of the sensors on the motor might be suspect. Other things to consider that could possibly be heat affected would be the ignition module, and possibly the coil...

The fact that the car acted up after the extreme mositure makes me think it's moisture related, but that's not to say it could just be a coincidence.

Rabin

Sorry Bill - yesterday was pretty damn hectic, but I got it done tonight. I was short of time, but took detailed pics to make it easy to figure out:

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

I took multipe angles and you can clearly see what each terminal is getting. Last pic I pulled the relays out so you can see the prong orientation. So that should get you going again.

Rabin

Now that I have your attention, I believe I have the ignition ECU for an N9TE, according to the parts cross reference chart compiled by Mr. Lill and found in technical resources. Will this affect the way the car runs? And is this the reason my detonation sensor flashes are not as they are supposed to be?

Also, how many O2 sensors does my ZN3J have?

Thanks.

Also, how many O2 sensors does my ZN3J have?

according to the parts microfiche (plate 16 F20), the zn3j has one oxygen sensor, part number 1628.83 (up to VIN 0.393.000) or part number 1628.A4 (VIN 0.393.001 and beyond); i believe your 89 would use the latter part. the 1628.A4 sensor is the same one used in the 86-on xn6 (my car!).

andré