91 405 Mi16

nm1

I picked this car up last year, I really love the handling even with all the bushings worn out and in need of replacement...it's the most predictable and forgiving street legal FF car I've ever driven

I use the car as my daily driver and weekend tow vehicle for my track bike

There is a lot to do, I will try to remember to post a picture or two up here as things progress. A knowledgable friend has been helping me learn the ins and outs of working on these cars; so far I've changed out one of the rear wheel bearings, the steering rack, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

Some things I am going to be working on in the near future:

- Adding a cable/pulley system for the heater/AC flapper (the stepper motor is worn out and at $170 I don't feel like continuously replacing them)

- Refresh front end bushings and ball joints

- Replace worn clutch

- Adjustable front suspension (I will post here once I get worked out what generic camber plates and sleeves you can use).

Once all the mechanicals are worked out and I am happy with the car I will most likely have it painted as well, progress will be somewhat slow due to a concurrent track car build I am also working on

Edit: If any 405 enthusiasts are on here and can answer any of these questions it would be quite helpful:

- What is the stock spring rate? The car is quite balanced and neutral now and I'd like to match my new setup fairly closely to stock

- What is the diameter of the strut pistons for the front, both at the top (where it narrows) and the long part

post-1421-0-28693500-1371664264_thumb.jp

post-1421-0-95709000-1371664360_thumb.jp

post-1421-0-59761400-1371664368_thumb.jp

post-1421-0-51201600-1371664552_thumb.jp

Good to have you on the forum Nick!

Should be cool to see your impressions of the car as its brought back into shape. I've never had a 405, but it'd be tempting as a winter car.

Springs: the 405 actually has some aftermarket so you might be able to find Eibach, or H&R setups for it - if not the companies should list it. I've read other owners being able to get Koni sports for the car as well, so if its just a street setup you're after that'd probably be the easiest path.

Curious what the track car build is as well- any links?

Rabin

Cool! I saw the pics of it on FB - very cool set up.

For the record - I worked with a guy back in the day that had a sweet E21 with Zender body kit, and BBS mesh wheels and in beautiful shape. He was talkin' trash about my 504 so we did some "testing" after work and my 504 beat up on his poor little E21 quite badly. It was really bad - like hung his head in shame bad.

Of course he had no idea my car was PRV swapped with a 4-sp manual and the stock LSD hooked up very nicely. :D I cornered on my door handles - but the car stuck beautifully.

Rabin

There are some nice aftermarket pieces available from vendors in the UK, but I'd like to keep the budget reasonable on this one, so I plan to put together my own kit. Plus, once I've done that, the few other Mi16 owners in the US will have a path to cost effective changes as well.

I've pieced together a coilover kit for another car already so I have some idea of what to do, thankfully. Raising the roll center is also a concern after lowering the car, but just bringing the car completely up to date maintenance wise for now is the main focus. If you do have an extra stepper that would be awesome, and thanks for posting the strut measurement.

Did you order generic camber plates and adapt them? or fabricate some from scratch?

- Adding a cable/pulley system for the heater/AC flapper (the stepper motor is worn out and at $170 I don't feel like continuously replacing them)

i remember reading somewhere that the stepper motor usually dies for two reasons: 1) the circuit board wears out, or 2) the plastic gears break.

if it's the circuit board, those can be repaired but i don't know what it would cost...

if it's a broken gear -- some guy on aussiefrogs fixed his own stepper motor using plastic gears from a remote control car! if you are going to throw out the motor anyway, this might be worth a try...

andré

I've pieced together a coilover kit for another car already so I have some idea of what to do, thankfully. Raising the roll center is also a concern after lowering the car, but just bringing the car completely up to date maintenance wise for now is the main focus. If you do have an extra stepper that would be awesome, and thanks for posting the strut measurement.

Did you order generic camber plates and adapt them? or fabricate some from scratch?

I got universal one on Ebay.