82 505 TD Unfunded Project

Peugeottogo

This 1982 505S turbo diesel is my youngest son's project. At the age of 13, he has been an avid Peugeot enthusiast who has several years to work on this project with a limited budget. I can't think of a better way for him to get hands on experience with his future ride. Hopefully he'll gain an appreciation for his work and the satisfaction that he will know what makes it tick.

Some stats on this one,

167,000 miles

5 speed

Thomas in Roseville has been putting some parts together for us since August,2012. Mainly used parts that are hard to find that can be recycled.

This past weekend the car was loaded and hauled from Northern to Central California.

Recent work included new hydraulic parts for the clutch; otherwise this well rested Lyon was capable of driving.

History looks to be a California car although there is rust in the common area around the windshield.

There is plenty to do with the mechanics, interior and ultimately the exterior, but with limited funding and plenty of time, should be a fun driver along the way.

Original paint is tired right down through the primer. Did I mention rust?

Interior is rough and scruffy in places, think Lyon's den in Africa but nothing a little TLC can't bring back to life.

Will need a complete rebuild of the front end and host of other things to tinker with.

Runs surprising well and drives fair for the condition it is in considering its been off the road for quite some time.

This makes owning a 505 in the family number 16 plus the forth in this color combination.

So why this one? The durability of the turbo diesel, no electronic injection to deal with and no smog requirements. The manual trans is the best way to learn to drive too!

I'll post updates along the way but remember these updates maybe few and far between.

We got time and plan to have some quality time together in the garage. Merci

post-57-0-47578700-1359433323_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Andre, A few things will be sorted relitively soon,

Remember those STI wheels and tires you delivered?

Change out rear tail light assemblies as the pair on the car or very poor condition

Grill replacement

Can't get lost with disasembly since we have a full scale template in the garage :)

As for future exterior, a possble resemblance of a 1985-86 STI without chrome. Most of the chrome on this car has already been removed by mother nature.

As for budget? Yes it's not funded currently and will consume my spare parts inventory first.

Great project to have for a father and son.

My dad and I have been restoring the 505 together since it first came off the road in 2002 (my dad was daily driving it until then).

When he will be able to drive it in two years, it's probably also a nice thing for you as a father, to know that we don't be getting any speeding tickets in one of these :D

Good luck to you and Colin!

Sina

Awesome father son project Jeff! I look forward to my own father daughter projects whatever they happen to be... :)

Power? I won't be able to verify until I get the new hybrid injection pump installed and tuned, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade the turbo to support the extra power. My goal is to rival stock turbo gas numbers, while still returning stock or better economy.

Rabin

Thanks Sina! Collin has already asked what mod's could be done to increase power. Being a 5 speed rather than the automatic makes better use of what power there is.

I told him an engine swap from a 908 tdi FAP wasn't forecasted ether lol

Has anyone looked into swapping turbos to something larger, or perhaps throwing on an IC (i know the US models never got them)?

Regardless, it's good that you went with the 5-speed. It's really sad how less and less American teens are learning it these days.

I remember going out to the Alameda Naval Base with my dad when I was 13-14 and learning how to drive in the Peugeot. Good times :D

Sina

TD's have the industry standard T3 turbo flange so selection is huge. Trick is still super fast spool however since diesels don't rev very high. I'm hoping to see if I can make a VNT turbo work, if not, then a small gas turbo that supports 200hp will find its way in - stock Volvo 16T maybe.

Looked at IC's too and I'm thinking of doing a water to air set up on it so I can package it better with the stock UK market EGR-less exhaust an intake manifold.

2 stage VW injectors with proper nozzles, hybrid pump, and upgraded turbo and I'm hoping for at least 150HP with no soot and better economy.

Rabin

I've considered some of these ideas as well, prior to ownership of this car. I liked the inter cooler setup similar to Trevor's old Grey Beast. I'll likely be replacing the mechanical vacuum pump and converting strictly to electric cooling fans. Less issues and rid of power robbing accessories.

Yup - electric fans, and an electric vacuum pump for me as well. Simplifies the engine compartment as well as additional souces of noise. I really want to make a lot of improvements in NVH - biggest reason for the 2-stage injectors...

I've been searching for a nice OEM electric pump like the set up you have on your car - still haven't picked one however - but leaning towards the Hella OEM ones.

Rabin

a few questions about this...as i understand it, diesel engines don't generate vacuum (or generate minimal vacuum) because of the way they handle air...in a petrol engine, your right foot controls the air being let into the engine (the restriction of which, creates the vacuum) and the engine (ecu) figures how much air to add, while on a diesel, your right foot controls how much fuel is injected into the engine...correct? so why were diesel engines equipped with vacuum-powered accessories to begin with? was it because these accessories were developed for petrol engines, and it was more cost-efficient to just slap a belt-powered vacuum pump on the diesel engines and call it a day?

i'm asking this because i'm thinking about the trade-off associated with switching to electrical accessories...by doing this, aren't you increasing the demand on your battery and alternator, which in turns works your engine harder? or is the electrical system inherently more efficient than the vacuum-pump system, such that you end up ahead at the end? and how does the electric vacuum pump running vacuum--powered accessories fit into this analysis?

andré

Modern electric components are MUCH more efficient than mechantical components, and with proper control circuits theire not even on a fraction of the time. For instance the vacuum system - once the reservoir obtains the necessary vacuum the pump can shut off until you apply the brakes or the heater settings change and vacuum is consumed.

Same with the engine cooling fan - it only turns when cooling is needed, and even when on high - it'll only use a fraction of the power the engine needs to drive the mechanical devices.

Rabin

so why were diesel engines equipped with vacuum-powered accessories to begin with? was it because these accessories were developed for petrol engines, and it was more cost-efficient to just slap a belt-powered vacuum pump on the diesel engines and call it a day?

I suspect that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, nothing exciting to report as an update nor would photos be of interest ether :)

So whats been happing;

Off with the 14" wheels and on with the STI 15" wheels that Andre' brought up with him many months ago.

A complete degreasing with hot pressure washer.

Oil and filter changed and flushing the cooling system next

The drivers door lock assembly was broken and you could only open the door from the exterior. This was an easy fix.

The left rear door was locked shut. This was interesting as I'm the size of a giraffi lol; requiring removal of the rear seat components and the door panel to gain access to the inside of the door. Next remove the exterior handle so I could manually drive the stricker release open from there to open the door. Working as intended now

I moved on to some wiring issues under the dash. Geez again, not the best enviorment to be working in but figured I'm now a trained contortionist so I'd dug in.

I'll be taking a break and move on to items that are at waist level for a bit until I can see my feet again :)

Maybe a photo or two will be posted. I know we like photos around here.

• 4 weeks later...

Found some time for Collin and I to work on a few things on the car. The original front cloth seats although look good we found a pair a bit more sporty. Sina will be donating the matched rear seats in a few weeks! Replaced those rotted rear interior C pillar panels. We got two in good shape from Thomas and we decided to paint them white as the pair we recieved were gray. We chuckle when we look at the factory radio now installed. Works fine and really fits the 80's style.

post-57-0-06321400-1362867086_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-06765000-1362867159_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-83847000-1362867236_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-69594600-1362867375_thumb.jpg

so why were diesel engines equipped with vacuum-powered accessories to begin with? was it because these accessories were developed for petrol engines, and it was more cost-efficient to just slap a belt-powered vacuum pump on the diesel engines and call it a day?

i was at ukit's today and i asked him about this. he said that peugeot added a vacuum pump to its diesels primarily for the brakes, since at that time there wasn't any other way to get vacuum for the brake hydraulics...since the vacuum pump had to be there anyway, ukit agrees with our guess that using vacuum-powered accessories was the path of least resistance. he also told me about the various vacuum pumps used in the diesel cars -- the early diesels used a less-powerful vacuum pump that required a vacuum reserve tank, while the later cars had an upgraded vacuum pump that obviated the need for the reserve tank. he also agreed with jeff & rabin in that an electric vacuum pump retrofit was a good way to go with these cars...

andré

Thanks Andre' for letting me talk to Ukit directly via your cell phone while you were at his place today! He knew which sender I'm looking for :) He said he'd let me know if a 404 shows up looking for a new home too. I'm not sure how much drag is created with the vacuum pump but can feel the loss of power when the viscous cooling fan clutch kicks in.

• 3 weeks later...

Took a road trip to Thomas's place in Roseville a few weeks ago to pickup a set of dark blue door panels and some other misc. parts for Collin's car.

Enroute we stopped by Sina's place to pickup the rear seats he has donated to Collin's car too! Although Sina wasn't home, had a great conversation with his dad regarding Peugeot and we will be back to in June for a little rendezvous in Alameda!

Spent yesterday with him changing trans and rear diff oils. Have radiators hoses coming from Brian Holms as well as fuel filters for both cars. I like the factory fuel filtering system and will get Collin's back in working order. Removed all the useless egr components to begin the task of less cluter under the hood as well.

post-57-0-74121000-1364742386_thumb.jpgpost-57-0-94522400-1364742483_thumb.jpgpost-57-0-82521800-1364742565_thumb.jpgpost-57-0-18798100-1364742631_thumb.jpgpost-57-0-12303500-1364742708_thumb.jpg