Ambers for Euro lamps

norcal505

So after drooling over a good hundred or so photos of nicely-done up euro 505's around the interwebz, I've re-convinced myself to install the European Headlamps that I have sitting at home, once the car returns from paint (all approximately six weeks from today).

Some of you guys might know how stubborn I'm being with this restoration, and my quest to keep the car "somewhat period-correct".

Therefore, I don't want to get another set of HID's, like I did on my BMW. I'm looking to see what you guys reccomend as far as Ambers go.

My Euro lamps are the Valeos. They're a little hazy at the moment, but I'm going to buff & clean the lenses up nicely next time I'm at home.

IIRC, Jeff (if you're reading this), had some Ambers on his previous '89 V6 Sedan? Did you encounter any troubles with the CHP?

I highly doubt that the local Bay Area police depts would give two shits regarding it, however the CHP may get on my case, like they do on plates.

I already have some Amber/Goldstar(?) H3's that will probably find their way into my pair of new in-box Bosch Pilots.

But I still haven't decided whether or not I'll stick to halogens and try to track down some Amber lenses

...like my dad had on the car back in the 80s.

Can't believe I bought these when I was 16 years old...Yikes. Folks that's what you'd call procrastination.

2611353177_c44915f4f0_z.jpg

Quality-controlled bebe!

2612186680_dc1858d826_z.jpg

Since we're on the topic of awkward post growth-spurt me with my then new-to-me Peugeot...can't forget this gem. :rolleyes:

3014385186_f1e504e14d_z.jpg

Amber vs. Clear Bosch Pilot Lens Comparison

4015392151_8c3a24357b_z.jpg

Also my dad reminded me that I have these lying in our garage...guess I won't be needing them with the current direction of my build. So expect to see them FS soon.

3938344596_0dd52a14f9_z.jpg

-Sina

sina -- pm sent.

as far as putting ambers in your headlights, you can get the yellow bulbs or you can put the yellow envelopes on your white bulbs...you just have to make sure that the envelopes you get fit your bulbs. this is something I've looked at, if i was using euro lights, I'd definitely go with ambers...

andré

Sina, no issues then in the 89 and now in the 82. Don't drive like a target for law enforecement and you will be fine LOL

Didn't wake the TD by finding the box for the bulb!

These on ebay look similar except they have yellow covers for the bulbs. Mine are the real deal, glass:

http://www.ebay.com/...E-/220705760516

post-57-0-08981100-1351038578_thumb.jpg

post-57-0-02664300-1351038654_thumb.jpg

That was a great read! I love the link to the headlights done with the dupont yellowcast... I've seen guys use the red version for making factory yellow rear lights red as well - looks pretty good if done well.

Rabin

• 4 months later...

I have had amber headlights on my 505 Wagon since a Citroën owner tipped me off to the proper vehicle code section. No doubt this varies by state, but here in California, the legal color range is from white to amber. So the strange thing is that we can have amber headlights and fog lights, but in France, Belgium and the Netherlands, they cannot.

Here's the California DMV section; check your own state for those rules. It seems good practice to keep a copy in the glove box; I've never needed it, but it's pretty cheap insurance.

VC 25950. Color of Lamps and Reflectors

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:

1. The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:
    1. Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.
    2. The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.
    3. An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official traffic control device.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25950.htm