1985 TD Sedan

tulaweb

Keep us posted on the trip to get Joe's car... That definitely would have caused the hydrolock, but I would have thought rust wouldn't have seized rings to the bores so soon - so curious why it still won't turn. Do you think it's rusted rings to the bore or do you think something in the bottom end is bound up?

Rabin

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's something in the bottom. I pushed it out of the water within 5 minutes. The injectors were removed within 10 hours and considerable force was applied at that time and couldn't budge it. I think there was probably only water in #4.

The plan right now is to take the bus down to Joe on Monday night. That's something like a 10 or 11 hour trip over night, changing in Richmond VA (not counting that I first have to take a train to New York. So I'll get down there about 7 AM on Tuesday. It'll be about a 9 hour drive back. Depending on how I feel, I might stop at my sister's in Washington DC. The buses I was first looking at were what's known as China Town buses. There are a bunch of bus lines running out of NY's china town that have a reputation for running off the road and rolling over in the middle of the night, and various other mishaps, but they take you non stop almost anywhere cheaply as long as you don't stop the hard way. So when I realized what I was looking at, I checked Greyhound and they don't go direct, but with a one hour layover in Richmond at something like 4 in the morning they are actually $5 cheaper. The advantage to taking a bus is that I can bring 50 lbs of tools for no extra charge or 49 lbs or tools and a 1lb change of cloths.

you never know what info posted is going to help someone...

Or amuse someone. :)

Oh and many of the Greyhound buses have WiFi and power outlets at your seat and I'll certainly bring some kind of computing device that I can tether through my phone on the way back, so depending on how it goes, maybe I'll start a road trip thread and update it as I go.

• 6 months later...

Well first I have to take this one a couple of miles. Then after the engine is moved over from the grey car, I'll take the grey one about 25 miles to where I can dissemble it at my leisure. I forget exactly where but someplace on these forums I had some discussions about how to attach a tow bar last year. I think Rabin and Bryan Cohn offered me advice at that time. This is what I finally came up with.

• 2 months later...

The engine is out, so I pulled it over to the self serve car wash and cleaned the engine bay. A bunch of Simple Green, a scrub brush, and a power washer got rid of most of 28 years of grease. I also did a bit of cleaning on the donor engine in the grey car. Today the grey car is towing the blue one. If all goes well, in couple of more days, the blue one will be towing the grey one. It’s funny the angle it sits without the weight of that big old diesel engine in the front. Looks like it's about to pop a wheelie.

DSCF2744b.jpg

Good to see the ol girl in action one last time :)

It's been my daily driver since I got it from you. My original intention was to swap the engines as soon as I got back, but then I decided to drive it for the winter and put the engine in the blue car in the spring. I guess it's a little past spring but the time has come.

Haha that is sick. I wish using a tow bar in CA was legal.

It's not?

I guess it wasn't entirely legal for me, in that I didn't have lights hooked up and I think the GVW of the towed car probably exceeded the rating of the towing car, but I only went a few blocks there and a few blocks back, but I didn't know that tow bars were completely illegal in some states.

i think a tow bar is legal in CA, but they're pretty strict about them -- don't know if dave's would have survived CHP scrutiny...

i'm almost positive that chains or ropes are illegal, since you can't have anyone in the car being towed. i seem to remember reading somewhere that if any of the wheels of the car being towed are touching the road, that car must be street-legal and registered...so track cars or unregistered cars must be carried on a flatbed...

right now my car is registered as non-operative...if i want to drive it on the streets before i register it for regular operation, i have to go to the DMV and get a one-day permit. i'll probably do this when i get the car smogged; if i register the car first before i get it smogged, i have only 6 month to pass the smog test. so getting the car smog tested first will eliminate that risk...

andré

As I said I don't think I was entirely legal, but I don't think the tow bar would have been the problem. It would have more likely been lights, registration, or GVW rating that I could have gotten in trouble for. Hopefully the local constabulary would have been understanding about a 2 or 3 block trip to the car wash under the circumstances.

if i want to drive it on the streets before i register it for regular operation, i have to go to the DMV and get a one-day permit. i'll probably do this when i get the car smogged; if i register the car first before i get it smogged, i have only 6 month to pass the smog test. so getting the car smog tested first will eliminate that risk...

NC used to be pedantic about annual emissions inspections, but a few years ago they relaxed the laws: nowadays, the only cars that need emissions inspections are 1996 and newer, and they don't even use gas analyzers anymore. They just connect to the OBD-II port to make sure readiness codes are set and there are no DTCs stored. With that said, my 1990 Prelude may or may not have a catalytic converter :P

NC used to be pedantic about annual emissions inspections, but a few years ago they relaxed the laws: nowadays, the only cars that need emissions inspections are 1996 and newer, and they don't even use gas analyzers anymore. They just connect to the OBD-II port to make sure readiness codes are set and there are no DTCs stored. With that said, my 1990 Prelude may or may not have a catalytic converter :P

NJ has never done emissions testing on diesels older than 96 even when they were new, although you could still get a ticket for visible smoke. They now no longer do safety inspections on any passenger cars, they only do emissions. So now diesels older than 96 don't get any routine state inspection at all. I have an exemption letter in the glove compartment instead of a windshield sticker. They do however spend quite a bit of time on the emissions testing on the ones where they do it. Gas powered cars get tested at the tailpipe, checked for OBD codes, and pressure (or vacuum) testing the fuel system. They used to do the tailpipe testing on a Dynamometer, at various speeds, but I didn't notice if they did that the last time I brought my wife's car in. They can still pull you over for a roadside inspection and you can be sited for either a safety or emissions violation regardless of if or when you passed the regular inspection.

The good engine is in the blue car now. Need a couple of replacement hoses and fittings and it's ready to go. It does run and drive now. I went over to the shop today and took the steel beam, that I was using to attach the tow bar, off and put the bumper back on. I took the bumper off the grey car and put the towing bumper on that. I see they unbolted some of the suspension parts when they took the engine out of the grey car so I'll have to put some of that back together before I can tow it.

It's handy both cars have hitches!

Should definitely be nice having your car back in running order - but curious if you still have plans to do a post mortem on the seized motor? I'm still curious to know what the cause was.

Rabin

I only have one hitch so I have to switch that too. I do plan an autopsy. I still have a lot of work to do on the car just starting back up where I left off. It's too bad I didn't get more of that done over the winter while it was off the road, but I don't have a garage and it seems like there is always something more pressing.

Oops - I probably knew that, but it was the thought I had when I typed it since it's rare for our cars to have hitches.

I also totally hear you on project progress being interrupted so often. My hope is that I can get the pressing house projects done first so I can go uninterrupted on the cars.

Rabin