New 1986 505 Turbo, GL Edition

absolutematt

So, I'm finally a Peugeot owner. I just picked up a 1986 505 Turbo-GL Edition with the 4SPD Auto(previously owned by one of the forum members).

I haven't really done anything yet to the car besides giving it a new battery and a good wash.

Any tips or tricks or any sort of other useful information you could give me would be very much appreciated! ^_^

The auto transmissions shouldn't be revved in park or neutral past 1500 rpm. Don't let any emissions testing stations do it either if you have any of those.

Hopefully it's a well maintained car, and you're in the home state to two of our vendors so you should be better off than the rest of us! Posting pictures and impressions would be great. When these cars are in good tune and well sorted, they hold their own with the best even today.

Rabin

Oh yeah - keep an eye on temps. make sure the coolant levels are kept up, and never let the car over boost... Their is an over boost circuit that will protect the motor - but it can't be abused (IE not fixing the issue) very long at all.

Those few things are the highlights for some of the top things to avoid with these cars. They're quite good, and they do have their quirks - but they're not fragile and they don't need kid gloves. Just keep it maintained and they'll be happy.

Rabin

thats the first time i heard of the not revving past 1500 rpm in park or neutral - how come?

The auto transmissions shouldn't be revved in park or neutral past 1500 rpm. Don't let any emissions testing stations do it either if you have any of those.

Hopefully it's a well maintained car, and you're in the home state to two of our vendors so you should be better off than the rest of us! Posting pictures and impressions would be great. When these cars are in good tune and well sorted, they hold their own with the best even today.

Rabin

the zf 4hp22 bva (the automatic transmission or boite vitesse automatique used in the 505s from 1986 on) had a number of different design flaws, but probably the most serious had to do with the shaft that connects the forward clutch pack...over time the metal bushings on this shaft leak and allow the forward clutches to be pressurized when the car is in park, neutral and reverse. revving the engine in these gears thus fries the clutch pack. this affects peugeots as well as other cars that use the 4hp22 -- bmws, porsches, land rovers, etc.

there are a number of different fixes for this problem, including updated bushings & seals, modifications to the transmission fluid path, etc. this would be addressed during a rebuild.

andré

PS -- congrats on your car, matt! :)

Well I think that's what happened with my STX which hopefully Ukit will address in the trannie rebuild. The transmission had this lack of movement going forward when I got the car. I don't care because that issue is sorted out still can't beat the quality and luxury I'm getting in a car with so little mileage! :)