New guy in here (Peugeot 505 SR)

You sorta remind me of myself when I joined this forum.

Young, and still having a lot to learn. A few bits of advice I can give you:

• Your taste will change rapidly within the next few years. I remember when I first joined, I wanted to put chrome wheels with spinners on my 505. Embarrassing yes, but I think I was also a freshman in high school, and was watching pimp my ride. I regret a lot of those early posts. :D
  • Start getting hands on. I remember when I was young, my dad used to do most of the work on my car and I used to watch him. If not that, we threw lots of money at the local Peugeot mechanic who always charged an arm & a leg. If I could go back and do things over again, I'd learn how to overcome that "fear" of taking apart a cylinder head, or doing the brakes & suspension on my own car. Once you get past that hurdle, and have some basic tool knowledge paired with a good shop manual, it's all in your hands.
  • You don't have to be a mechanic to be standing in your engine bay. I honestly don't think I know many guys on here that are mehanics by profession; we have lawyers, computer techs, doctors, etc.. who love to work on our cars.
  • Also another thing. If the car isn't truly "yours" yet, I'd wait a couple more years till it is, and just focus on learning for the time being. I used to get yelled at for doing working on cars, and even if you weren't doing anything wrong, if something goes wrong, you'll be to blame - plus you'll get flamed by online forums (just telling from experience).

All that aside, 505turbo.com is pretty welcoming place. When I was young(er) and dumb(er) :D, few members put me in my place ... but that won't really help till you're older. Hell, Rabin still puts me in my place if I act cheap and use splice connectors :D

-Sina

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, Rabin still puts me in my place if I act cheap and use splice connectors :D

-Sina

Damn straight. :)

Funny enough - I was very young when I got into Peugeots as well (grade 7 when my older brothers bought a 76 504) - and I had my first one in grade 12 (76' 504), and I swapped in a 604 PRV V6 4-sp manual into it in my parents driveway - no garage. That car died of rust, but I kept the motor and tranny and they're in my garage. Car was AWESOME and remarkably reliable for a good 7 years. I replaced that 504 with another 76' 504 a few years later and I still own that one today.

So yeah - it just gets worse with age. Next thing you know you're 41 with a bunch of Peugeot, a dedicated Peugeot forum, and you're given members heck for shoddy repairs. :D

Rabin

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.197401853724611.47217.100003643929743&type=1&l=78bc50429a

New pictures, guys!

Thanks a lot guys! It's really inspiring, it comforts me a lot!

It might be more appropriate to post that kind of maintenance and to do info about the car once you have one of your own, or you have that one to actually work on. You're coming back to Canada tomorrow correct? Videos don't really mean much to me as it's more like watching someone else's home videos. The car does look nice and seems to run very well however.

As for the 140 kph that's nothing for them. They can cruise for hours at 160 kph, and it will top out at ~170 - 180 IIRC. There can be a fair bit of speedometer error in North American cars as well - so they may be similarly optimistic for speed. A GPS is a nice confirmation of actual speed as they're pretty accurate. (My V70R was 10 km high at 120 kph.)

Rabin

i kinda enjoyed the first video, was that your dad teaching you how to drive the stick? brings back memories of when i learned to drive a stick, my dad taught me...of course, there was a lot more yelling and carrying on... :) my son is 12 now, so i'll be doing this in a bit. i live in a pretty busy part of los angeles, so there are no quiet side streets like you had there...here, everyone goes to the federal building which has a ginormous parking lot that's almost empty on the weekends.

my spanish is even worse than my french, was he saying "don't dump the clutch or you'll kill it?" :) i caught the word muerto...

andré

Ah yes - understanding what was said would make the vids infinitely more entertaining. I understood nothing so I actuallly just skipped a head a few times to make sure I didn't miss any wicked burn out competitions... :D

Rabin

@Bean well, if I posted the maintenance info then the members could tell me if the part is easy to find or replace, if it's really worth it, if they have done it themselves, how hard was it, personal experiences. The more content, the better, no, sir?

@Andre Punto Muerto is Argentinian Spanish for Neutral, if you need a transcript just tell me and I'll message you with it.

I love the car it was the most rewarding driving experience ever. I felt very comfortable in the car and not a single moment did I feel it was low on power. :)

Sorry Santiago - that came off much harsher than I intended. I only meant that if you were coming home and didn't have access then than might not be very valuable since you can't actually diagnose anything.

There's no denying how excited you are about your first car, so if you want help to get this car in top shape, and to bounce ideas off us I'll be happy to help anyway I can. So list away and we'll see if we can get you a good plan together for it.

BTW - if you can tell us what was being discussed that would be great. I'll rewatch with some context.

Rabin

Thanks Rabin for the clarification.

Yes I am quite excited about it, since it is a helluva car to have as a first car. I have been promised inheritance of this car since I was 10, so I have a reason to be excited. My grandfather feels like trading it in but I do my best to convince him otherwise, along with other factors complicating the idea's success (not enough money, no real need, car runs great anyways)!

I will post the transcript when I get back from Argentina as I will have more time. Thanks for your time guys! :)

Me - "No, (the camera) it's facing forward. (in response to my uncle asking me if it was facing backwards)

Uncle - "Just don't move the seat"

Me - "no no (it's ok)"

Uncle - "For a driver it's a real pita when someone starts messing with your driving position (referring to moving the seat)" "Put it in neutral first"

Me - "You want me to put the seatbelt on or what?"

Uncle - "No no, it's fine" "depress the clutch first"

Me - "yes, of course"

[ENGINE CRANKS, DOESN'T START]

Uncle - "Come on, move it back (vaguely referring to the key)"

Me - "it didn't start"

Uncle - "That's why I was saying, move it, the key, back"

[ENGINE STARTS, IS REVVED A BIT]

Uncle - "Accelerate it slowly" "keep it very smooth, very smooth (referring to gas pedal input)"

Me - "Yes, yes (got it)"

Uncle - "Clutch... (as in, press it), push in the clutch..."

Me - "Yes yes"

Uncle - "Now, reverse... now start moving it very slowly, get your foot off the brake and now reverse it very slowly... very slowly"

[i FRANTICALLY TRY TO FIND THE BITING POINT]

Uncle - "Come on... what are you looking at?"

Me - "Looking at... if..."

Uncle - "no no no"

Me - "Looking at the instruments to know if it stalled or not"

Uncle - "Don't look at the instruments, listen to the car, come on, now accelerate it slowly (as in, move it slowly), come on, and now at that... start releasing the clutch... and exit going straight"

Me - "I'm trying to feel it (the damn thing), where the heck is it (referring to clutch biting point)"

Uncle - "Just start moving it, don't worry about it, you'll feel it through the pedal..."

[CLUTCH STARTS BITING, CAR MOVES SLOWLY]

Me - "Finally, there it is"

Uncle - "You'll feel the push... now there it is! Backwards now... come on, go straight, straight... Come on... Good dude, nice! Now turn. Come on, look at the mirrors too"

Me - "Yes..."

Uncle - "Come on... keep going"

Will keep editing. Last saved at 6:48 PM.

Last bit of dialogue is at 02:49

Guys! I'm so excited yet letdown by today's happenings! I found the Peugeot 505 near my house! Turns out it's an old lady that seems to have imported it from Trois Rivieres in Quebec. The car is a Peugeot 505 STi with Silver paint and a black thin line running across the whole car as in a pinstripe vinyl. Anyways, seems like she doesn't have any intentions of selling the car and she's cranky. Leaves it parked outside all day pretty much, has tinfoil to protect the leather interior. It's a 5 speed manual with a single exhaust pipe. Has the ugly ass NA bumpers and has single square lights. They're very ugly. Otherwise the car is perfect. will post links to videos and pictures in the near future. Stay tuned for more. Very excited. me and my friend have plans to either buy this STi or a nice black coloured Saab 900 Turbo 16 Valve (1990ish).

Well of course your plans to buy it need her cooperation. :mellow:

I wouldn't think you are likely to find a 505 in NA without the NA bumpers. If you can get a set of headlights from Argentina, they should fit right in place of the NA assembly that contains the square ones. The early 505s in NA had round sealed beams. I forget what year they switched to square. I know my 82 had round, and my 85 has square. Do you know what year this one is?

Does she have the seats wrapped in tinfoil or is it one of those silver Mylar things in the window?

Silver Mylar things on the window, very messy inside, and yeah, I want to get a new set of headlights, they look horrid! Thanks for the reply, Mr. Dave! Square sealed beams, sir.

Pictures!

http://imgur.com/a/L6P7v#0

Edited by COOLfiat

I have a video!

I found a 95% (mysteriously) similar car on an old article of Jalopnik.com... http://jalopnik.com/315994/1985-peugeot-505-sti

Edited by COOLfiat

Beware of eastern cars - so much salt is used in the winter these poor cars rust from the inside out. If you can swing it - buy a car from the southern states, or try to find a car that was only summer driven.

Rust is the WORST thing to fix on these cars, and easily the most expensive.

Rabin

You wouldn't happen to know how to track down the owner or the history of this car, no sir? You wouldn't know anyone that knows a person with this same car...? I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it. And I haven't seen any rust on this car yet.