Removing/Replacing the 505 bumpers

I've heard that the front fenders (wings for UK guys) are different to go with the Euro bumpers. On your blue car, I refurbished the bumper and had the bumper valence and spoiler painted. If that's aesthetically OK, such parts would be an easy bolt-on affair. Euro bumpers are something I've never seen done on this side of the pond.

we call them bumpers here, as well. don't know how familiar you are with 70s and 80s US auto history, paraic...the idea behind the regulations that required these bumpers was that, in the case of a low-speed collision (as in a parking lot), the car would suffer minimal damage. the first batches of cars to have these "5 mile per hour" bumpers, including the 505, looked pretty terrible. as time went on, manufacturers got the hang of it and later cars look better (compare the US 405 to the US 505, for example). i am also not a fan of the US bumpers, so i've done a bit of research on this topic and found that there are basically 3 ways to go, in increasing order of difficulty:

1) collapse the bumper shocks so that the bumpers sit closer to the body. i've seen discussions of this, both on this forum and in other places, but i've never seen a car to which this has been done, so i can't say if this looks okay or not.

2) after '89, high-end US 505 models had body colored bumpers. these items are hard to find (good-condition used pieces is the best you'll do), and the matching skirts and spoiler are next to impossible to find. plus, even if you can find all of the mounting brackets, the underlying body panels are different so you'll have to modify the brackets or fab stuff up (or both). fernando has done this, you can search this forum to see his related threads (he has used 2 different usernames over time, sukhoi and eurotrash). fernando pops in here from time to time, but he runs the US/Canada facebook group now so it's easier to catch him there if you want to ask about details. still - IMHO it'd probably be easier to just sell your car and get an 89 than to pursue this option....

3) you can do a straight euro bumper conversion...every single part you need to do this will either have to be imported or fabricated (though, as a former resident of europe, i'm thinking you may know people who can help you with importing parts). plus, you'll have the same different-underlying-body-panel problem as you would with the 89-style bumper covers, so modification/fabrication. the series 1 (pre-86 in the US) and series 2 (86-on) cars have different parts, as well. as koll noted, you'll have to replace or modify the front feders (or wings, or ailes, or whatever you want to call them smile.gif). this is the option i've probably studied the most, send me a PM if you want to pursue this further.

now, having said all that, you should know that bumpers are considered safety equipment, and if you modify yours and later die in a collision-related fireball, your survivors could have problems collecting from your insurance company. chances of you dying in a accident in your peugeot? very small. chances of someone at a US insurance company knowing what a stock 505 bumper looks like? infinitesimally small...still, i'd be remiss if i hadn't put that out there...

andré

Thanks Koll and André.

Sounds like way too much work for an aesthetic issue.

And I have lots more areas I would rather spend the money on.

Actually it was the V6 i was pondering all this one. The 86 T has some issues. It stalled on the freeway - luckily I had just come off in the entry ramp and pulled over. Looks like it might be a fuel pump relay at first glance.

My V6 has been rock solid with only the alternator giving problems. All other work on the V6 have been maintenance or wear and tear. Its a very reliable car.

I do see the Turbo as being a very viable car and if not it has some great parts including a a great engine and turbo and gearbox. but that would be a sad option to take. Its still a blast to drive and might serve a an amateur race track day car.

For fun some time back I moved the US bumpers "in" on my 87 505 Turbo parts car to see how it'd look, what it took and if it worked.

Removed bumpers, then shocks. Drill bumper shocks to drain oil/gas, collapse shock, then weld in the compressed state. I riveted mine since it was all in mock up. Then reassemble! I had to shave the inside edges of the bumpers to fit around the US fenders front and rear as they won't fit.

End result? Looked pretty cool! Was it worth the work? Probably not. I long ago ditched the photos I took, sorry.

I've tried finding a set of series 1 euro bumpers for my 85' 505 turbo - but the cost for good ones has risen quite high for the ones I found, and the nail in the idea coffin was the cost of shipping.

I think the best solution will be some custom ones using the USDM bumpers as the base, and modifying them to suit. Essentially what Bryan did, but I wanted to cut 1-2" out of the ends so that the bumper is flush on the sides.

So even more work, and likely some very strong adhesives and some body work - but still cheaper than finding and sourcing proper euro ones.

Rabin