My Lion won't start! Help!

Hello All,

I have the 1985 French delivery car (2.0 gas, 5speed, NA, Bosh FI, GL) I've been driving the heck out of my car and noticed lately that the power was down, and that car was making an exhaust leak sound. I got under the car and tightened the manifolds the best I could (nothing was really loose) and found that the sound didn't go away. A mechanic friend of mine said it sounded like my timing was off so I figured it needed a tune up soon. Then we were blessed with a big snowstorm here in Seattle and I wasn't going anywhere with RWD and no chains (I live in a very hilly area), so I let the car sit in the snow for a few days, when the road was plowed I dusted the snow off the car, went in to start it and boom...She started just fine, I went inside to put my boots on, came out a little later found that the car had died, I tried to start it again, it turned over but it would not start. I put HEAT in the fuel later that day thinking the cold had separated water from our great ethanol gas, and caused a frozen fuel line but that did nothing to help. I decided then that really needed to do a full tune up, I called NAPA to see if they had the parts.....Oh Hmmm.....1985 Peugeot you say?......some they did have, cap, plugs, fuel filter (maybe?) they said they had one rotor but the other was unavailable so I needed to get the part # off it. I went out to pull the cap and rotor, cap comes off fine(needed replacing) ...however the rotor seems to be welded on to the distributor, and I cannot get it off, also it does not look like the other rotors in my Haynes manual(some appeared to have a bolt in the top, mine does not). I've been trying to contact "Peugeot Greg Bruninga" the guy I bought the car from, he said he had genuine Peugeot parts, and made it sound as if they where best choice for the car (Greg owned Rhino Motors a French Car repair business here in Seattle for a number of years) but he's been impossible to get in contact with. So now I'm appealing to the Community, Help! Where should I get parts? What should I do first? Any advice?

Thanks!

John

Email Rob Courter at [email protected] . He can get anything obtainable in short order.

I would NOT deal with Greg.

As far as the no-start on the NX6 engine. Do you have books? If not, you really need to get some. If you own a Peugeot, you need to learn to fix it yourself.

Here's the engine one: clicky

There are very good diagnostic flow charts in these books.

Buy other ones as well. There are 7. DO NOT buy photocopied ones. Factory ones are perfect bound. Photocopies are velobound.

You getting spark? Fuel?

I've got fuel I think (it was moist and gassy smelling when I pulled the intake boot off), I sprayed a little starter fluid in there turned it over and got nothing, just pulled a spark plug held it up to a nut on the valve cover and got no spark I'm going to try a nail next to see if it's the plug (the plug looked OK though). I do have the 1979 to 1989 Haynes Manual.

Does the Haynes manual have a diagnostic for a no-spark condition?

Judging from the binary nature of the problem, it sounds like an ignition module. To test it,

• disconnect the distributor harness from the amplifier housing
  • coil HT lead from distributor cap
  • turn ignition on
  • hold the NT lead with a pair of electrician's pliers and position its end approximately 10mm away from a ground (shock tower would work)
  • use a jumper wire to feed terminal (G) of the amplifier module (ignition module) with +12 battery voltage

You should get a spark.

the haynes manual is better than nothing, but only just. it's worth noting that the aussiefrogs guys have a project going to correct/expand on the haynes manual for the 505.

i have bought a few manuals from the ebay seller koll has linked to -- uridil --- ships fast, shipping is inexpensive and the manuals typically look better in person than they do in his photos. his manuals are the real deal, not photocopies. i contacted him once about a manual (wanted to know if it covered my car) and he mentioned that he has a bunch of old peugeot manuals in storage and he lists a few of them at a time. so if you are looking for something particular that isn't currently listed, you can check with him and he might have it.

andré

OK, so I installed the new plugs, I turned over the motor and got nothing, I pulled a wire again put one of the old plugs into wire, held it to a bolt and got a few little sparks (accidentally grabbed the copper on the plug wire and got a nice jolt), so I wonder if the spark is just weak? The cap is very grooved and marked, and I cannot seem to get the rotor off (anybody else have this problem?). I also noticed a bunch of nicks and grooves on the contacts inside of the distributor cap I wonder if the rotor is hitting it?

You should definitely replace the cap and rotor. Once you have known good parts - you should be in a better spot to start diagnosing what the issue is. If you are VERY careful - I personally use a little shot of ether to verify spark and to get the engine to fire. Be VERY careful with it though as it's highly volatile and can do a lot of damage if you use too much.

If you verify spark - I'd check the tachymetric relay to ensure it's functioning. Easiest way I've found is to give the pump 12V direct and see if the motor runs. If it does - 99:1 the tachymetric relay is shot and needs replacing.

Rabin