Relay problems

Well it took 5 years but I finely started working on my 505s. It has been off the road since 2002 ant has held up well for sitting that long. i just got it home a few weeks ago and it ran when i got it here but the master and slave on the clutch where rusted solid. I have replaced those but now i cant get it started I have traced the problem to a relay under the dash. I belive it is the ignition relay it is a BOSCH 0 280 230 006. I can not find one local and no one can even find a cross over number for me dose any one on here know where i can find one of if one crosses over. thanks

Welcome back!

That looks like that number is tachymetric relay (Google), and I'm pretty sure Volvo's used the same one - so try there or FCP Groton.

You can bypass this relay by running 12V power direct to the fuel pump and if it starts you know your relay is toast.

Rabin

welcome, rp!

505s? details, please! what year? colors? what other projects will you be working on? where are you located?

when i bought my car in march, it had been sitting for 5 years...i've been spending a lot of time cleaning out the fuel system (don't get me started on ethanol! :angry: ). hopefully that's something you've checked on, as well...

andré

edit: found your older posts, see that you have an '87 505s turbo and you are in NH (hope you guys are okay after irene!). did you find the rear swingarms you were looking for?

Oops - I thought I just approved a new member with that username thus the "welcome to the forum" comment... I've now changed it to welcome back... :)

Did you have any luck with finding a tachymetric relay, or at the very least bypassing it with 12V to the pump to test it?

Andre brought up a very good point about ensuring the fuel system is up to snuff after a car has sat for so long. A rusty tank will fill a filter VERY fast, and it can do a number on the pumps too if not careful. Time spent ensuring the lines and tank are clean is time VERY well spent!

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply been out on the road working. It is a 88 505s turbo five speed kinda an off gray color. I have not had a chance to look for the relay as of right now but I will

google it and see what pops up. About two weeks before I brought it home I started it where it been sitting for five years. When I got it home I tryed starting it again and nothing. Found a

bad ground wire in the truck for the fuel pump. Cleaned it up and it started back up. I then pulled the tank drained flushed and cleaned it then reinstalled it. After pitting in some fresh

gas it would not start again (fuel pump would not turn on) I ran a jumped to the pump and it came on but car still would not turn on. I ben looking and from what I understand that relay runs

the pump and ignition system. I checked and now i have no spark anymore. I am not sure where to go from here I am going to try and find that relay and see what happens after that but I am

open to any ideas. And no I have not yet found the rear swing arms I need I want to get it running first.

okay

don't know if the relay is actually your problem, but some quick checking shows that the bosch 0280230006 -- the tachymetric relay in your car and a few others -- is NLA. cross-referenced parts include the cartier/valeo 2474 and the lucas fdb506 (which are also hard to get). here is a link to a place in the UK that sells a replacement for these parts, they ship to the US. some caveats:

1) i'm not the most mechanically-astute person on this forum (ask some of the other members, or read my old posts! :D ), so i can't say whether or not this will fix your problem...i'm just a guy who likes researching peugeot parts...this took about 5 minutes...

2) you'll want to verify this research for yourself, you can back-check the info i've posted here

3) i've never bought anything from this UK company, i've never even heard of them before this research. the brand of relay they sell is durite, which is also the french word for "hose" (you know, like a radiator hose). i'm not sure how i feel about that. :blink:

you might also check with nick@nite on this forum -- he and his father run a shop in vermont that specializes in peugeots, as well as brian holm (also in vermont). you can't be the first person to be looking for this part! they can also help you find the swing arms you need; as a practical matter, they may get them from somewhere else -- from what i understand, rear suspension arms tend to move from the west & south to the northeast & midwest -- but sourcing those items is a common thing for them.

hope this helps

andré

edit: on the "advice you should listen to" scale, koll's (n9te) post above is a 10, this post is a 5 or a 6. :)

Thanks Guys I will look into the service manual and see what I can find. I have a haynes service manual but the wiring dia is hard to under stand. i had a friend who is much better with

wiring than me look at the book and even he said he didn't really understand it. We looked it over last night and we tryed repairing the relay and found there is only power to the fuse (fuel

pump fuse behind ash tray) when motor is turning over. O And one last thing i have a relay part# 0 280 230 006 the pins are the same but can anyone tell me if it has the same function (as far

as pin use and out puts)

Most relays of quality have a mini schematic on the relay itself. Failing that - google is your friend. You should be able to figure it out pretty quick.

BTW - bypassing the relay with 12V direct to the pump is a good way to ensure it's at fault. You can even bypass the relay at the relay connection by jumping the hot wire to the pump lead. I just find it quicker and easier to do it at the pump.

Rabin

• 1 year later...