1984 505 STI

Here's my beast, a 1984 505 STI. Picked it up in January. Original owner was Anne-Marie Cousteau (yes, those Cousteaux), who kept it garaged and immaculately maintained. The second owner of the car, some dude in his twenties, kinda let it get beat to hell but still kept it running. I am the third owner of this car, and when I bought the car it only had 109,500 original miles.

I use this car to deliver for Domino's (notice the awesome French sign I found in the back!) I didn't pay much for it and I've already gotten my money's worth out of the car. I'm good with regular upkeep but now that I have a Peugeot I've become much more of a hands-on owner. I specifically joined this forum for advice on caring for my roaring beast, as I believe I have the only four-wheeled Peugeot in San Diego and I haven't found a mechanic here yet that would be willing to take on this rare of a car in my price range.

More, and better, pictures as they come, which will fully indicate the condition of this car (which, for all that's dilapidated on it, is surprisingly fair!)

post-977-0-32110000-1305840352_thumb.jpg

post-977-0-89266900-1305840365_thumb.jpg

post-977-0-97395900-1305840379_thumb.jpg

welcome to the forum, dave!

good to see another socal peugeot around. also good to see the car in the hands of somebody who cares. i noticed that your car has a "westside peugeot" license plate frame -- the PO must have been from LA or nearby santa monica. westside is in santa monica, it's run by dono.

in november, the french and italian car show happens in van nuys (san fernando valley, just off the 405). i'm pretty sure victor van tress (SSB on this forum) goes, i will be going for the first time this year (looking, not showing). you should check it out if you are free that weekend...

andre

welcome to the forum, dave!

good to see another socal peugeot around. also good to see the car in the hands of somebody who cares. i noticed that your car has a "westside peugeot" license plate frame -- the PO must have been from LA or nearby santa monica. westside is in santa monica, it's run by dono.

in november, the french and italian car show happens in van nuys (san fernando valley, just off the 405). i'm pretty sure victor van tress (SSB on this forum) goes, i will be going for the first time this year (looking, not showing). you should check it out if you are free that weekend...

andre

Hey Andre, thanks for the warm welcome.

The car was originally from Connecticut, and was brought over here in 2002. The guy I bought it from lives here in SD, but has a 310 area code (Santa Monica). I'm sure he had work done there.

The French sign on the car is genious. Has anyone "got it" yet?

Car looks nice and straight, and should actually clean up pretty good. Some have even had decent luck polishing out faded top surfaces like that as well - even if there's no clear coat left. :)

Rabin

The French sign on the car is genious. Has anyone "got it" yet?

Nope, no one's noticed until I point it out.

Car looks nice and straight, and should actually clean up pretty good. Some have even had decent luck polishing out faded top surfaces like that as well - even if there's no clear coat left. :)

Rabin

The car was rear-ended some years back (Carfax puts it in 2003). Both rear quarter-panels are crinkled (and hammered out by an amateur), and the rear bumper, while attached to the rear of the car, doesn't connect to the q-panel on either side. I'll take pictures when I can. The sunroof also doesn't work; the motor has been disabled, there are metal clamps keeping the sunroof in place and the leaks in the rubber gasket seem to have been filled in with super glue ಠ_ಠ and it still sometimes leaks during rainstorms.

For the most part, though, the exterior is in good shape despite needing a good paint job. The interior needs some help; both front seats have pretty bad splits in the leather and have exposed foam, and the dashboard has been sun-cracked and needs replacement. The windshield has also been replaced at some point, and there is this black sealant goop that was applied WAY too gratuitously; got most of the excess off with a popsicle stick, but it gets incredibly soft and sticky in the sun, and it permanently stains literally everything it touches - know what would get that off?

The left instrument panel light and the window button lights decided to quit lighting up a couple weeks ago; a whack of the dashboard above the instrument panel used to correct it, but that has had no effect the last couple weeks. Don't want to whack it too hard because like I said the dash is already cracked to high hell and I don't to whack a hole in it...lol.

It also needs a replacement of the exhaust system after the catalytic converter; both mufflers are holier than the pope. Sounds like a muscle car, and unless I'm going uphill, it drives like one too! :D

(tonight's clutch issue notwithstanding)

the french dominos sign - i love details like that

cool car dude, and welcome to the sub-inner-old dashboard sti club-within 505turbo.com-club...club. hehe

actually, now i think of it...you and norcal505 have similar looking 505s on the west coast, and me and "steve" have similar (bluish/silver) 505s here on the east coast

edit- just realized theres an e30 in the background of your 2nd pic - norcal, this dude is you from an alternate dimension.

Dave - if I were you I'd keep the car running as a delivery battle wagon it is, but the cost of getting that car into shape would be far more than buying an already nice example that's led a pampered life. These cars sadly (for sellers) go very cheap for the value you get, but as buyers, they're an incredible bargain.

I have seen prices for the nice ones finally start to escalate, but good deals are still out there for sure.

That said - I'm not one to take my own advise as sentimentality rules all for me and if I like a car, I fix it. :) Sometimes the journey of the repair is the fun part - not to mention the skills you develop working on your own car. Which ever way you decide though - there's a ton of support for whatever you tackle.

Rabin