trunk/glovebox keys

In an earlier thread, Rabin mentioned getting new trunk/glovebox keys cut since he'd never had them. That's my situation with my newly-purchased car. I understand that one needs the codes to get new keys cut.

I'm pretty sure Jessie @ Dubarr can cut keys for pugs; Key Men has the blanks also, but where do I get the codes? It's not in the owner's manual, etc., and the PO didn't have the code (or the key) either. Is it on the lock mechanisms?

Thanks,

Andre

Thanks for replying, Rabin. I was just checking in to report what i've learned....

talked to jessie at dubarr, he said can't cut the keys any more, but he has the blanks. he said his blanks are the original steel types, & not everyone has the machine to cut them. he said that there are brass blanks out there but they are a bit harder to find. he added that he used to get the codes from peugeot with the VIN, but peugeot doesn't keep that info on file anymore (i think i remember reading that in a thread on this forum a while back).

i talked to brian holm, what a nice guy (called to see about a wheel for spare tire, wheel covers. thinks he has something, is checking & will get back to me). i asked him about the keys, he confirmed what jessie said and added that the code is usually on the trunk lock, if it hasn't been replaced in the past -- he said that the replacement units from peugeot didn't have codes on them.

on my way home from work, i stopped at one of the best lock shops in west la (in business since 1929). they are primarily residential but do a bit of car work. they perked up when i told them what i was looking for, and three guys were helping me at once...they all had stories about peugeots they had owned or worked on in the past (two of them were former mechanics). they had the brass blanks for the ignition/doors and for the glovebox/trunk. i asked them if they could cut the keys from the code...they said they couldn't, but told me if i brought the car or the lock by, they could make the key from the lock itself ("taking an impression," IIRC).

will probably order keys from key men, unless you think somebody local could do it...

thanks,

andre

I would just take the trunk lock in and have them cut you a key. Up here without a code they can still figure it out and cut a key for ~$30, but that's the price if you bring them the lock.

If they have to work on the lock in the car it's a but pricier, but still not bad at all.

Actually what's also cool is they can re-key the door locks to suit your ignition if need be. I had this done on my last car that had different door locks than the ignition. It was easier and cheaper to have the door locks done and it was only $50 or so.

Rabin

the local guys quoted me $35 for making two keys from the lock -- pretty good, if you ask me.

later, after reading your post, i pulled the lock out and saw the 4-digit code staring at me. i went ahead and ordered two keys (using the code) from keymen; i figure a key cut from the code should be better (at least, i hope). it was $30 for two keys, which includes shipping. i'll let everyone know how it turns out.

i will use the local guys for copies since they have the blanks...i have only one copy of the ignition/door key anyway...

andre

• 1 year later...

My local key place ran out of stock on trunk keys, and they're checking out how much it will be to bring more in. Sadly the lock didn't have the code on it, so I'm going to take it back in and see if they can provide the code for it. Bob Bruce in Winnipeg has blanks and should be able to cut them for me if I can get the code...

If not - then I'll give Key Men a try - important part will be getting the code. Failing that - I'll need to get the lock re-keyed to an existing key I have.

Thanks for posting all this info Andre - sure came in handy when I needed to find alternatives.

Rabin

i'm glad this was helpful.

i just realized that i said, "i'll let everyone know how it turns out," but i didn't.smile.gif the keys from keymen work well on both the trunk and the glovebox. which reminds me, when i replace the dash i need to move the glovebox lock over from the old dash...

andré