Ikenna

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arun,

I like my 505 so much that I would like to be using it occassionally, as a fun car, especially for long distance trips. And also, for it to last forever with me, I would another car, the 605, to reduce the usage of the 505. 605 then, is ideal to be my daily driver when finally gotten. But the unfortunate thing is that trying to sort the remaining problems with the 505 out is really eating deep into the savings for ythe 605. If i keep doing it, I wont be able to save enough for the 605. I need the 605 to prolong the life of the 505.

Ikenna

Yesterday, as Rabin suggested, I asked & was directed to a cracked windscreen repairer. He drilled the two edges of the crack & applied some chemicals on it. He assured me that it has been fixed & wont inrease anymore. The work lasted for about 15 mins. I paid him & drove off. Thanks Rabin.

I think the next in the to-do list is the electric fan conversion, which am looking forward to. Because of hot climate here, I may have to connect it to run constantly, as long as engine is on/running. I dont want to take chances. Even if it shortens the lifespan of the fan , I wouldnt mind replacing the fans every 2 or 3 years, than replacing the cylinder head gaskets whcih would be a nightmare!

Ikenna

• 4 weeks later...

I woke up this morning and decided to convert the ZN3J viscous fan to electric fan. So I started with the thermostat. I needed to make sure that it was ok. So i removed the t-stat housing cover & pulled out the t-stat, as you can see in the pics. 79'C is engraved on the t-stat (temp when it opens, I believe). Then i put it in a pot & placed the pot on a gas cooker, ignited. Before the water started boiling, it gradually opened (as you can see in a pic), indicating that it still works (though didnt confirm the temp it opens with with thermometer). I put back the t-stat in it housing & closed it. I filled up the radiator with 2 litres of coolant.

An hour later or so, I drove off to mechanic village, in search of used electric fan in good condition. I saw two & chose one out of the two. The one i chose was from a Toyotal Camry 2.2, as the seller claimed. Right there, i removed the viscous coupling & it fan cowl. I installed the purchased electric fan (as you can see in pics). I used radiator temp sensor as the power source. I tested it and it was working fine, On my way home, the fan was Soundless, less noisier than the welded fan i removed. The engine now sound smoothly & less noisy, as it was doing before i welded & locked the fan to the engine. Now the temp guage stays at 90'C as the operating temp of the engine (middle of the guage) & sometimes at traffic will exceed the middle a little (92'C, I believe), but didnt exceed the 91 or 92C(as you can see in the last pic). The engine now runs at operating temperature. The fan only switch on when the car is stationary or at traffic, once the car starts moving, the fan switches off. Am happy that i made it/achieved the aim of the electric conversion.

Maybe tomorrow or whenever am chanced, I will install a switch that i can manually by-pass & put on the AC fan to work together with the radiator pull/suck fan, anytime I dont want to use A/C. But for now, its working normal/ok.

Thanks Rabin & Arun for encouraging me to convert it to electric fan which is very much better for the engine.

Ikenna.

post-856-0-18603700-1317754157_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-63969700-1317754250_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-67370800-1317754338_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-07924500-1317754442_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-70693100-1317754527_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-34633300-1317754611_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-11381100-1317754700_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-23042500-1317754766_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-93677300-1317754852_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-12118300-1317754935_thumb.jpg

Excellent - I knew it would be a nice upgrade for your car!

Now you have more power and BETTER cooling at the same time. The new shroud on the fan allows it to cool a much bigger area than the Peugeot shroud. That combined with the faster spinning electric fan (at idle) will cool much better when stuck in traffic that the locked fan would at idle.

I would test when the other terminal on the rad switch engages as you may have it on the high temp setting - but good to check out just to make sure.

Add in less strain on the water pump shaft and it's a great upgrade.

Rabin

• 9 months later...

UPDATE:

About 3 weeks ago, all that I needed to tackle my 505 V6 injection issues were complete. So I decided to do the work on a weekend.

On 30/06/2012, I pulled out the fuel rail, with the 6 inectors attached. I replaced the injectors O-Rings with news ones andre helped me to purchase via RockAuto. It was a complete kit. I also replaced the pintle caps as well But i didnt mount back the fuel rail on the engine that day. I kept them in the car trunk, to enable me have space to tackle the engine harness.

The next day, 01/07/2012, around 7:am, i started the harness replacement job. First, the spare harness i have was not complete. The part, the harness on the engine joined with the harness from the 2 ECUs to the firewalls where the two harness were joined together via sockets, was missing in the spare harness. So I first identified and marked/numbered the various wires from the various sensors and components on the engine, on their sockets at the firewall. Then I brought out the spare harness and checked the continuity of each wire in that harness. I also numbered wires on their suckets, for eligibility, for easier identification while installing. It took hours to conclude on the work on the spare harness. After, I pulled out the old harness (from the 2 ECUS to the engine bay firewall). I then started the installation of the spare harness. That took many hours to finish right into the night. It wasnt a remove -and-plug in work, since the previous harness was buthered and the spare one wasnt complete. But what really took the time was using the various diagram and manuals I gathered from friends here (Paul & andre) to do the connections. I wanted it to be connected as factory, without any modification. So I had to be comparing the various books before me to be sure the connections are correct before moving onto another wire. It wasnt easy!

After the harness installation, I swapped in the newly purchased MAF I purchased last month. Then, I mounted back the injectors attached to the fuel rail.

I finished the whole work at 11:30pm at night. My touch light was useful.

Then, i entered the car, turned the ignition key switch, within 2 seconds, the engine was running. I couldnt believe it. This was a car that would take a lot of cranking & about 5 minutes to start for the first time in a day. Wow! What a breakthrough. Then, I listened and was expecting to hear the usual engine hunting. But alas! The idle was damn steady! I was scared to rev the engine because I was scared to experience the usual hesistation and surging when revved. But it has to be done. I planted my foot on the throttle pedal. The engine revved smoothely to the red line: no hesitation, no surging, no hiccup, no misfiring,etc. I felt like jumping up and down like a kid in happiness. But hey! people were watching. My neighbours were watching since they saw me tearing out anything that looked like wire in the engine bay in the day time and they couldnt believe that i could still make the car to start. It was dark, so i couldnt tell of the black smoke still coming out or not. So I had to let go for the night. But could i sleep? Of course not! Just couldnt.

The next morning, 02/07/2012, I quickly jumped into the car, cranked the engine and it was running again before i knew it. I revved the car. NO BLACK SMOKE. Hmm! Did it again. Saw nothing. I then planted my foot on the pedal to the floor, some liitle black smoke came out. I tried it again, while watching the tachometer and noticed that the little black smoke could come out from 5,500 rpm to the red line. Wouldnt know why? Anyway, I took it for A/C flushing and refilling. The car now chills like Ice. The awesome thing there is that even with the load as heavy as A/C, the rpm would still maintain 750 rpm. It wont even drop below when the A/C is switched on; just maintain the 750 rpm. The ZN3J engine management (Bosch LH2-2) is a damn good one!

Last weekend, i decided to replace the starter that has been acting up since i got the car. I went and purchased a new 504/505 I4 starter. A VALEO brand. But when i checked, i realised that the ZN3J is different from the starter I purchased. I asked and was told that the I4 504/505 starter will not match any PRV engine. Only a PRV starter will match the PRV bellhousing. I was so disappointed. So I returned the new starter, got my refund and purchased a used starter instead. The sound of I4 starter is sweeter than the PRV starter. Even, the used I purchased i purchased and mounted, the solenoid is even acting up. It clicks sometimes and wont clank the engine. Though, it could be the starter solenoid or the ignition switch fiber. I have purchased another ignition switch fiber, but yet to put in.

I just couldnt help it but to dump my 605 V6 for now. I now use the 505 V6 daily. Its really an amazing car, now that the injection issues are gone. Now at below 2000 rpm while in motion, the car would be moving like every other car. But once the rpm reaches 2500, it will surge out or turn into an animal. It will start moving as if it has some turbos attached, which just kicked in at 2500 rpm. Its really fun. My 605 V6 does the same at 3000 rpm, but this does it as low as the 2500 rpm. What a car! I can really imagine what you guys are missing in north America with your only 145 hp ZN3j. The 170 hp ZN3j is really something else. An animal when in action, with its impressive noisy engine note! The car brings out the Lions character when it is in an action!

Yesterday, I put in 50 litres of fuel in the tank. I want to observe it to know how it consumes fuel now with the improvement in the injection. I have taken note of the last mileage and resetted the trip meter to 0000, to know how many mileage it does now with 50 litres of fuel. Even with the A/C on, so far, the fuel guage hardly drops. Thanks to the climate control, my windows dont go down or opens anymore. Its either its on A/C when whether its hot or its on the outside air ventilation when the outside whether is cold enough. And i dont seem to notice any difference in the consumption when on A/C and when not. Though, there would be, but its less significant for me not to have noticed.

As for the the black smoke that comes out when i rev it to 5,500 rpm to red line, i have been avoiding revving it to that point again and it works well with the fuel consumption. i have been checking the exhaust pipe tail opening every now and then to see if i could still touch black smoke, but it has always been as dry as i left it. No sooth on the tip so far. A mechanic was telling me tat i could be the soot that was stored in the mufflers when the car was still having those injection issues. That they would still clear with time. Another person suggested that centre muffler could be bad and could be the cause of the black smoke. I dont know how true that is. But i do know that one of the rear mufflers is leaking and need to be welded. But am not sure if that would cause the black smoke at such a high rev. i actually tested the oxygen sensor and was getting 1.016 v to 1.019 volts. Its that normal/ok? I also tested the wire 22, to find out the rich idle mixture and I got 0.80v to 0.50 volts. The manual states that it should read from 0 to 13 volts. The point is that the consumption is ok. But will wait to see how many kilometers or miles the car will cover with 50 litres, when used only in the city.

I will keep observing and hopes that the ECU doesnt re-learn and starts it nightmare for me again. But for now, I love that car!

Will keep you guys updated. I will also attach pics i took while doing the work later.

Ikenna.

• 3 weeks later...

man, reading that update, i was kinda expecting it to end with a picture of you smoking the tires haha

awesome to hear you got your 505 sorted out ikenna, you worked long and hard for it, really glad you got the payoff!

• 2 years later...

Update.

Since after I fixed the 505 V6 in July 2012, the only things I failed and I replaced were cooling system Thermostat, which Andre helped me to get. Then the spark plugs which I also replaced since the 2012 with NGK plugs. Aside these two things, I don't remember having issue or replacing any other thing on the engine.

So far, since the 2012, the Lion has been so faithful and fun. I really love the Lion. It takes to any part of the country I want to and brings me back to Abuja, smiling. The fuel economy is awesome. Unbelievable mpg figures, both city and highway use.

All I can say is, I love the Lion so dearly and I thank everyone here that contributed in making this good life I a m having now a reality. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ikenna

• 8 years later...
On 4/21/2015 at 1:22 PM, Bean said:

Thanks for the update Ikenna!

Just out of curiousity - what's your daily driver these days

Rabin

Hello Rabin. I don't specific daily driver anymore. I use one car from Monday to Saturday and switch to another.

Ikenna

Update:

It's about 13 years the 505 V6 Manual after i fixed the severe injection and ignition issues in July 2012. The car is still serving me well and i am still in love with the car. 

Ikenna.

Screenshot_20230904-113520.png

Wow - 13yrs!

They are amazing cars, but wow does time fly…

Did you ever do the swap to the xn1 in one of your cars?  I thought it was your v6 car, but could be mistaken.

Thanks for the update!

Rabin