You guys familiar with "heckblendes" and/or BHMA?

ohms

so, first, the "heckblende" - the aftermarket red filler light panel that would have the car's model printed across it...couple examples

Heckblende.jpg

21522210015_large.jpg

16m62wo.jpg

i remember seeing them for sale (for bmws, benzs, porsches, and even IROC-Z camaros) in Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories catalogues when i was a lil kid....now, does anyone recall a heckblende being made for the 505? Cuz i'd want one.

Having seen one up close and in person (and i dont remember if it was a Hella-brand one tho), on a 924, i remember thinking it looks rather flimsy and cheap to make....i think this would be a cool project for my 505, to set her apart a bit more, and give her another "80s" touch.

just rambling a bit, its an idea i've had for a while now, and i felt like typing.

I like that actually... Quite a lot!

To answer your question I've never seen it with the USDM style tail lights like that, but the later 89' and euro style tail lights did have a center panel like the ones you showed.

I'd love to find one for the 89' but I have a feeling they're harder to find than water pumps!

Love the idea for the USDM lights though - just need to figure out how to make it look good! Cut up used tail lights maybe and bond together?

Rabin

HAHA. That car in your picture is right next to my barber shop!

I almost bought that car, I know the owner.

He owns twin identical (one auto/one 5spd) 88' Turbo N9TEA seadans.

See that car almost every single day.

Peugeot Accessories made them in the 80s, only for Dutch & some other markets.

Here's some more for the mix.

505_1988_equipments_004.jpg

505GTI87Back.jpg

33.jpg

haha. i kinda knew bean and norcal would dig this

i seen pics of the 89 filler piece (or rather, of 89s with the filler piece), but DIDNT see that shot of the older one with the heckblende in the catalogue (but im sure i ran across those pdf pages on another site, guess i just didnt notice the heckblende pic)....damn, so its out there, somewhere....

regarding making it - my cousins used to be into lowriders and 50s and 60s kustoms - they made their own taillights for a couple projects, melting red plastic (i'll have to ask them, im sure it was a specific product) over molds they made out of wood (iirc)...they usually made lil bullet taillights or copies of a car's taillights that were slightly smoother or with rounded edges.

another thought thats been chewing away at me - our 505s need fiberglass hoods. and possibly fenders.

also, i wanna retrofit the automatic trunk opener lincoln towncars have, and shave off the outie-belly button trunk lock

and when i was in peru, i saw a modern, most likely fwd peugeot that, according to its emblems, was a 505. the emblems are nice, 3dimensional block lettering like on a modern 307 or anything else peugeot. need to find those.

and since theres no smoking in my car (and i have the older dash), i'd like to replace/cover the ashtray with a knightrider voice scanner light.

alright, lemme stop.

actually, that catalogue heckblende looks like its sitting between the euro-taillights, which i think are shorter than the american ones. still, i'm gonna do some more internet hunting for one

oh, and norcal, i grabbed that white 505 off jalopnik, it was a "found on the street" post a while back - hope the owner knows his car is somewhat internet famous hehe

Yup - center panel was only on the euro tails...

I've always prefered euro tails over the USDM ones, but that p'shop of the center panel between the USDM tails looks really good... Makes me prefer that look to modding the earlier cars to the euro style tails...

So I'd be very curious on how it could be made and look OEM / high quality.

Rabin

• 1 year later...

oh my god. (also, i wish i checked the board earlier!!!!)

hey omar....

i'm reviving this year-old thread with new information....

there's one for sale right now on ebay.fr....if you are still interested, you could check with the seller to see if they'll ship to the US....

andré

k, msg'd him

THANK YOU FOR FINDING THAT!!! might just be coolest christmas present this year haha

from what i see on the auction page, i think he only takes checks...hmm.

well, it was a go (heard back from seller, it was gonna be 40 bucks shipping for me)....then bidding went wild in the last 2 minutes haha. i want one badly, but not over a hundred bucks badly.

the search continues!

thanks for finding that though, andrethx, i appreciated the shout out.