finding a hood and fender? looking at a pug

1320Turbo

I dot these forums now and again wanting another damn 505 because i'm a stupid ass idiot and sold mine.

Anyhow I'm looking at an 89 505 turbo. automatic unfortunatly. It's got the factory ground effects package however it needs a headlight, fender, hood and possibly front bumper since the car was hit. to my knowledge theres no frame damage or anything of the sort. it's got the wing and the less common tail light style with the black center piece.

How hard would it be to get parts to fix this one? I havn't seen too many with the factory body kit for sale and it would be a sweet car to modify. I so want to show up at some euro car shows with an attention getter 505 and have people go "what's that?, it's hot"

My other option is an 86 or 88 (I forget year) 505 turbo manual. It's a bit out of my price range but the car is very cool too, it's got the regular, every day, 505T look just like my old one with the tiny lip wing and regular bumpers.

Should I get another pug? I can't decide. I need a daily driver. My 3kgt's break daily lol. Also what mpg's do you guys get out of these little french rocketships

Matt

oh and updates on the 3000's. The 93 ES now has a quaife LSD and agressive cams. The VR4 is being setup for real 15G turbos, 550cc injectors, meth and an SAFC2, in progress. Looking for 450+whp

This is the same seller (Mike) that Ohms is in discussions with the 88...

I e-mailed about the 89' and Mike advised that the hit was hard enough to squeaze the rad fan and cause and over heat... So it's likely needing frame straightening, and at the very least a front clip from another 89 if you want it to look like an 89... Hood, fender, bumper and support, and the header panel along with what was damaged for lighting and grill... Not to mention damages to the motor due to the overheat...

Check it out - but it sounded like it was going to take a lot of work to get it back in order. If you do get it and decide to mod it out - I'd buy some of the factory bits off it if they're coming off anyway. (Like the door mouldings and such) (He also mentioned an out of country buyer as well)

Since you want it for a daily - I'd probably pass. Your old car was a MUCH easier fix... :P

There are better cars for a daily / project to be found... Now if you had the facilities and the cash to fix it - that's another story - but that 89 will need a parts car to repair it properly. Definitely worth a trip to Ramsey's if only to check out any other possible 505's that might be a good basis for a daily / project.

Rabin

i posted about mikes 89 and 88 in the for sale section of this site - check out the post 1320turbo....his 88 is a turn key get in and drive car. i'd snap it up if i could, but we were originally going to trade cars (my 84 sti auto for his 88 5spd), but that fell thru (my gf veto'd it heh)....and i cant just buy it off him cuz i have nowhere to store another car (even street parking here i'd need to pay for a permit, and i cant swing the extra loot for that now)....since youre in jersey, i'd say talk to mike and see if you can go check out the car at ramsey (alberto is the head guy there, he'll put dealer plates on it and give u the keys, so long as mike vouches for u that youre not gonna abscond with the car haha)....the gas tanks pretty much empty tho, so maybe pop in 5 bucks of gas. but yeah, anyway, the 88 is a good deal. the 89 if youre really inclined to repair it would be the more mint of the 2 cars - the 88 needs to be hit with rubbing compound and polished properly to look good. also the hood has a rust spot - otherwise, shes just dusty all around. no rust underneath to speak of either, shes solid.

personally, im with u, i prefer the 88 and older body. the 89's taillights and wing bother the heck out of me hehe

and as far as parts go - anyone in our trisstate area should be going to ramsey - alberto has a ton of parts, and knowledge, but he doesnt use the internet much from what i can tell - i should make him a site....

he has no shortage of customers, and i think thats all due to word of mouth - hes that good

If it was me in NJ I'd buy both... $1800 for both cars is a steal, and it'd just take a bit of work to transfer the nice undamaged bits to the 88'.

Part out the rest and keep a nice healthy stock of the spares, or keep the 89' car "just in case" you need it. (If you can have free storage somewhere that is.)

Rabin

If it was me in NJ I'd buy both... $1800 for both cars is a steal, and it'd just take a bit of work to transfer the nice undamaged bits to the 88'.

Part out the rest and keep a nice healthy stock of the spares, or keep the 89' car "just in case" you need it. (If you can have free storage somewhere that is.)

Rabin

Well for $800 would the 89 be worth parting out? Is there enough desire for parts on here for it?

It's funny that you guys are on here and know about the car I'm talking about. He told me about the automatic trade falling thru haha. If anything I'd pick up the 88 however with 300k miles thats ALOT. Likely I'd repaint it myself no matter which car I got lol.

We're talking about it and I don't think hes willing to go low enough for what I think it's worth. I love these cars for some stupid, crazy, idiot reason. It's a square box from France and yet I can't not want one. Really if anything I want my old car back. I keep emailing the guy who I sold it to asking how it's doing and he now never messages me back. My dad sees it on the road every now and again. I wish that i could have kept it and gotten the VR4. I mean no regrets on my purchase because I got one hell of a steal and the car is gorgeous and soooo much fun but god I miss that car for the $500 bucks I sold it for. Was very rusty underneath but none the less it was MINE.

f f f f f f why did i sell that car.

I want a manual 505 t in the slate blue. If my 505 was an mt rather than an auto-tragic I wouldn't ever have thought of giving it away.

Matt

okay so I re-emailed the guy I sold my car too. Lets see if he'll sell it back.. I DOUBT it haha.

And wow I went back and looked at all my old posts. I'm a retard and a half. I apologize for littering this forum with idiocy.

I wouldn't buy the 89' to part out. At best I'd buy it as a parts car for the 88', and then any stuff you do sell would be gravy. Parts aren't worth anything till someone needs something like an auto tranny - and then you can get decent coin for a known good one.

I'd only be interested in a few parts - but I can see from the pics that some of the things I wanted for my 89' aren't on that one either.

I think the 88' is worth checking out - and if it's not rusty - then it's WAY ahead of the car you had. Plus it's a 5-sp. High miles for me is just a small part of judging an engine. If there are no leaks, it uses no oil, and the compression is good - mileage doesn't really mean squat.

Make no mistake though - I'd be checking the 88' out really well, what I'm trying to get at is that if the car is as good as it seams, and has been referred to - THEN it's worth it. If it really is a tired beater - then walk away, but if it's a well maintained strong runner - then I'd start looking at it closer.

Pretty sure that without anyone knocking on Mike's door for these - they'll end up going cheap. Real cheap.

What sucks is deals like this that go for dirt cheap devalue ALL our cars. Deals like this is why insurance companies can scrounge up adverts to justify paying out a pitance - even for nice 505's.

Rabin

Well potential good news. I emailed the guy who bought my car. His wife replied to me basically saying.

It runs but it needs a bit of work still and he's directed his attention to an old Subaru and he's restoring that. She asked if I'd be possibly interested in buying it back.

So I'm going to possibly go that route if possible. My interior would have been mint with some detailing, the only problem was the underside was a bit rusty. Actually alot rusty. If you punched the inside of the quarter panel rust would come off in sheets lol. The visual body of the car had nearly 0 rust what so ever, and the paint was great minus a little bit of streaking on the hood.

If the motor and trans is sound then I wouldnt mind dealing with the rest. I would be willing to take the rear subframe and shit out to de-rust and paint and replace parts as needed (or as I can get em)

hm

^yeah I assume it wouldn't be too hard to get adapters made, my stupid friend did it for his audi to put vw wheels on lol so why not a pug.

If I got it and got it to that stage I'd like to make it like the red car in the modded 505's picture section. i love that thing

Yeah - adapter to 4x100 is definitely the way to go. Run readily available FWD offset rims, and have lots of room for the RX-7 caliper upgrade D00zer found (assuming it works as well on the Pug as the Volvo)

My project is WAY too complicated, expensive and time consuming to be considered a success. That being said - when it is finally done, it'll be the best most comprehensive upgrade I've ever seen on a 505.

I'm thinking adapters and the RX-7 upgrade should be what I do on my other cars for sure. I still have 2 505 turbos that I can't bare to part out, so may as well make use of them when I can find the time.

Rabin

Yeah - adapter to 4x100 is definitely the way to go. Run readily available FWD offset rims, and have lots of room for the RX-7 caliper upgrade D00zer found (assuming it works as well on the Pug as the Volvo)

Rabin

a (possibly noob) question: if you were replacing the rotors anyway, would it make sense to have the new rotors drilled to accept the 4x100 bolt pattern? I used to have a Porsche 914 (don't ask), and I've noticed that there are a few people who sell rotors for 914s (4-bolts) that have been drilled to the standard porsche 5-bolt pattern. Would changing the rotors this way be a bad idea for some reason that I'm unaware of (safety, expense, etc.)?

Early on I heard that bolt adapters were bad, but more recently I've heard that they are fine as long as they are high quality and as long as you maintain them properly (i.e., check them for proper torque from time to time)...

TIA,

andre