Idiot lights "STOP" and "temp" flickering on then fading off hum???

pushgo

So I am driving along this afternoon and look down on the dash and notice the STOP and temp light over my temp gauge flickering on and off. WHen I got home I let the engin cool off and first off checked my oil levels all full as I had changed the oil only 1500 miles ago; have synthetic oil in my car....checked the radariator water levels were good as well....the odd thing about these lights coming on was that my car was not overheating according to my temp gauge...I am not sure what else to check...

If all fluid levels are good, I'd clean and reseat the electrical connections on the coolant tank (thermostat housing), and maybe the grounding trees by the headlights.

Bad grounds can cause the wonkiest symptoms ever - so I tend to take care of connections and grounds first.

Rabin

If all fluid levels are good, I'd clean and reseat the electrical connections on the coolant tank (thermostat housing), and maybe the grounding trees by the headlights.

Bad grounds can cause the wonkiest symptoms ever - so I tend to take care of connections and grounds first.

Rabin

this is going to sound like a STUPID question...but where is the coolant tank at? as well as the thermostat housing...I have JUST started working on my peugeot after I bought the Porsche :P

The same thing happened to me on two different turbos.

It was the oil pressure switch giving up the ghost. Located to the right of the oil filter.

Bill

So I am driving along this afternoon and look down on the dash and notice the STOP and temp light over my temp gauge flickering on and off. WHen I got home I let the engin cool off and first off checked my oil levels all full as I had changed the oil only 1500 miles ago; have synthetic oil in my car....checked the radariator water levels were good as well....the odd thing about these lights coming on was that my car was not overheating according to my temp gauge...I am not sure what else to check...

The same thing happened to me on two different turbos.

It was the oil pressure switch giving up the ghost. Located to the right of the oil filter.

Bill

Okay thanks Bill. SO would it not be anything with the coolant reservors and/or the senor contectors? If it is the the oil pressure switch how do I go about checking it and is it hard to replace? The thing is I am very cautious in driving my car as I dont want to ruin the engine. Again, my temp gauge reads that its not over heating...

I suggested the temp sensors on the coolant tank because the temp light was flickering with the STOP light. Usually if the temp sensor goes hot, the STOP light will go on - so it makes sense the issue is there.

Can't hurt cleaning and redoing any and all electrical connections at this point - and it very well may be the oil pressure sensor.

One thing that is neat - the oil temp gauge is also an oil level gauge when the ignition is on - engine not running. Supposed to be anyway... :P

Rabin

The temp light going on along with the STOP light was the thing that defied logic, as clearly the radiator was not overheating. I guess that's the way it is wired.

To test- I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that you can ground out the wire. It just seems to me like more work to test it than to just simply replace it. As I recall, the switch was something in the $30 range. Throw a socket on it replace.

I'm with Rabin on cleaning terminals. You won't know what you fixed down the road, but I have had a few thihgs that were fixed by doing that.

One was a cold start problem. My old '88 wagon had it from day one. Anyway, I took the engine out of that car, put it in the sedan that I am driving now, and in the process, cleaned all the terminals. Magically, the problem went away.

Bill

I suggested the temp sensors on the coolant tank because the temp light was flickering with the STOP light. Usually if the temp sensor goes hot, the STOP light will go on - so it makes sense the issue is there.

Can't hurt cleaning and redoing any and all electrical connections at this point - and it very well may be the oil pressure sensor.

One thing that is neat - the oil temp gauge is also an oil level gauge when the ignition is on - engine not running. Supposed to be anyway... :P

Rabin