Exhaust Manifold

bill

I was getting a slight miss, and knew that I was due for a cap and rotor.

I pulled the plugs, which were new about 3000 miles ago, and one of them was off-color, so I knew I had my culprit. I about freaked when I looked at the original plug wire holder, the plastic thing, that can really give a good fight. Even with my experience with the bugger, it still manages to give me fits. Anyway, on the bottom were a couple of holes. Like burn holes! Upon further exploration, I found some loose exhaust manifold nuts. Then I remembered that G. Nunez said something a long time ago about the need to check the nuts periodically. I think that one of the wires had melted internally, as the ohm check was funky on the one wire.

I tightened the nuts back up, and will keep an eye on it. I figure I might be able to wait until I need to replace the wastegate actuator, at which time I will take the manifold in for machining to get it true, if need be. The manifold does has a tendency to bow over time. That is an involved task getting it off. I think the machine shop charged me $15 the last time I had one retrued.

It's nice to know the trick of removing the motor mount to get the bottom mount free, in order to pull the manifold and turbo off as a unit. I remember the last time, my friend the mechanic who was helping me wanted to try doing it without removing the motor mount (just for shits and giggles, I guess, even over my objections based on what I had heard). There was a snag, and it was way less than a quarter of an inch between success and failure. It was so close it wasn't funny.

Just a little reminder, check those nuts periodically.

-Bill

Yea they don't like to stay tight that's for sure. I'm not sure if the nuts from the manifold-turbo back off 'normally' but i've had that happen too. When i first got my car there were literally no nuts holding the turbo onto the manifold.... how it ran as well as it did i don't know but whoever put the turbo back on last hadn't done it right. I luckily sourced some nuts along with a turbo from the local pick'n'pull.

And yes, getting the turbo off without taking the motor mount off is quite the ordeal.. Oh man the obscenities that i yelled when doing that. I had to use the lower brace itself to 'ratchet' one of the fasteners off.. i'll never forget that. haha. That lower brace never went back on... I have blind faith that things will be ok without it.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I am another 505-driving guy from Finland. :o I have also made some slight modifying to my Peugeot.

Here is my version of the exhaust manifold It isn't quite ready yet, missing flanges for the turbo and the wastegate, I am using an external WG from some Audi.

It is made from stainless steel, (AISI 304 I think) with TIG-welding.

Here is the turbo that I'm going to couple with it. Might be a little too big, but I think I'll give it a try, because it was cheap. :(

Welcome to the site!

Very nice work on the exhaust manifold. I also checked out some of the rest of the pictures on your site and you've done a heck of a lot of work on that car.

Looks great, and with that turbo it should go even better... Definitely big - any idea of the model? I'm curious what kind of flow ratings it has - or do you know the motor it came from?

Rabin

Thanks, the amount of work would have been enough without a drunk driver who wrecked the frontside last summer. B) It was not too hard to mend, though, because the main body wasn't twisted in the accident.

I mainly bought that turbo because I needed a model for the turbo flange for the manifold.

It was also "enough" large, without an integrated wastegate (I prefer external), and the guy that was selling this kkk was willing to take the old (wasted) t03 and therefore gave me a fair discount of the price.

It should be able to flow around 400hp, which is my secret daydream... :o

The guy also said that he might be able to arrange me a smaller turbine housing, if I felt it was too large.

Edit: It is a KKK 3ldz, an ancient relic used in porsche 911 turbo 3.0 :(

Heh... I don't know if my dream is ever going to be realized... :D

The limits of the drivetrain are yet unknown to me. V-M once said to me, that the transmission should withstand more than 300Nm if used correctly.

Some other bloke said that a Getrag transmission from some older 700/800 series BMW should be "easy" to fit to the 505 turbo.

He said that the clutch housing is removable, so it would be possible to make one fitting to the N9TE and also the main axle grooves were similar to the ones in BA10/5.

Don't know if that's true, but it would be nice. :)

Heh... I don't know if my dream is ever going to be realized... :)

The limits of the drivetrain are yet unknown to me. V-M once said to me, that the transmission should withstand more than 300Nm if used correctly.

Some other bloke said that a Getrag transmission from some older 700/800 series BMW should be "easy" to fit to the 505 turbo.

He said that the clutch housing is removable, so it would be possible to make one fitting to the N9TE and also the main axle grooves were similar to the ones in BA10/5.

Don't know if that's true, but it would be nice. :)

It will take more that 300Nm but that's official limit :) That BMW Getrag (26X) goves are close to Pug growe but not exact (I have tested) But thats no brob just use BMW cluch plate :D

V-M

Those old KKK's are known for nasty turbo lag - but once they spooled they provide good boost. Getting a different exhaust housing might help with that especially since your displacement is only 2.2L. You do have an awesome header built - so it'll definitely help the old girl spool up.

Have you thought about providing enough fuel - any ideas for feeding the motor? I'm always curious to see how guys are going to do it. I personally am going to try modifying an exisiting ECU from another 2.2L turbo 4 cylinder that has been "hacked" so that it's pretty much fully programmable.

Should be fun - and if all goes well I can start posting my progress this spring!

Rabin

Yeah, the lag may be an issue with that turbo. I think that header is far from being "awesome", I think "adequate" would be a better word... :D (it's the first header I have built.) But thanks anyway.

I think i'll bolt that turbo & header on and a larger FMIC, then drive the car around a bit with 0,5bar/7 PSI(?), anyway the stock boost setting and try to get it working right.

Then I think i'll be installing megasquirt, or if I win a lottery, some other commercial programmable EFI. :)

I think the Finnish guys are really setting the bar high for the restification of these monsters, so I'm going to get my butt in gear so that I can join the rest of the North American guys in their build ups.

I hate being "all talk" at the moment - but with marriage comes comprimises. Fortunately this comprimises mean being virtually debt free fairly soon - so the chance to spend some decent cash on this project is just around the corner.

I'm leaning heavily towards buying my own Tig machine so that I can make a lot of the modifications necessary to build a sweet car.

As for your exhaust - tig welded stainless header construction is pretty darn cool. I really enjoy seeing the effort and quality work you guys are putting into these old beasts.

I've often thought about finding an equal length shorty stainless steel header from at V8 that had similar primary pipe spacing - then weld on Peugeot specific flanges, and the specific turbo flange. The trick will be to find a header that would work with minimal work.

I too would like to run an external wategate set up - so construction of a header is on my list as well - but definitely after I get the alternate FI set up and programmed.

(forum was quiet for a while there - I was going through withdrawl!)

Rabin